SalkStream Player

Paret

• Keller, TX
SalkStream Player
« on: 20 Apr 2015, 09:51 pm »
I am the proud owner of a SalkStream Player for about two months now.

All I can say is WOW!

Jim was extremely helpful on my journey to set it up. All because of my ignorance.

Using it feeding a PS Audio PerfectWave II DAC then into a Van Alstine Transcendence 8 and Synergy 450.

Used dBPoweramp CD Ripper for Mac (Their Beta version ). Works like a charm BTW.

MPad as the controller from my iPad. Just about three weeks to rip my 850 CDs.

Want to publicly thank Jim for all his support and for a fantastic product.

The news need to be shared.

:thumb:

Luis D. Paret
Keller, TX

PSB Guy

Re: SalkStream Player
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2015, 10:11 pm »
I've had my Salkstreamer for about a year, it's one of the best audio purchases I've made. Jim also helped me with the set up, my issues all had to do with the powerline networking, not with the player itself. He was very helpful, answered my emails very promptly. I also use dBpoweramp, but the PC version, and I use Rompr on an Android phone for control. This really IS a fantastic product  :thumb:.

Cornelis

phoward

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2015, 05:30 pm »
Thanks for feedback. Listened to the SalkStream player at AXPONA and was impressed by ease of use.

Just ordered a SalkStream player with 2TB drive. Will be migrating approx 500 GB from iTunes library on to internal drive.

Two questions:
Software of choice for moving lossless files from external drive to stream player?
Backup software of choice to backup internal stream drive to external USB drive as I add more music?

Thanks!
Peter

PSB Guy

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2015, 06:14 pm »
Two questions:
Software of choice for moving lossless files from external drive to stream player?
Backup software of choice to backup internal stream drive to external USB drive as I add more music?

Thanks!
Peter
My Salkstreamer is setup on my home network using powerline networking, it shows up as just another drive. I just used File Explorer in Windows 8.1 to do the initial copying of music. New music is ripped directly to the Salkstreamer over the network using dBpoweramp. For backing up , I am using FreeFileSync. Another program that I have found to be indispensable is Wireless Network Watcher (free) for when the powerline networking lets me down, but that has only happened once in the past year.

Cornelis

phoward

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2015, 06:44 pm »
Thanks Cornelis
I neglected to mention that I'm a Mac user
I appreciate your responsiveness!
Peter

PSB Guy

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2015, 07:03 pm »
Thanks Cornelis
I neglected to mention that I'm a Mac user
I appreciate your responsiveness!
Peter
And I forgot to ask, sorry. Jim suggested IP Scanner for Mac to me for networking issues, and I've heard the Mac version of dBpoweramp is pretty good too. For file back-up, don't know...anyone?

Cornelis

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2015, 07:18 pm »
FreeFlieSync is available for Windows, Mac and Linux, just checked. If the Mac version is as good as the Windows version, I have no problem suggesting that.

Cornelis

Ern Dog

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2015, 07:57 pm »

Two questions:

I'm a Mac user too and I've been using the built in Finder app to copy files- no need for other software.  Plug your external drive into your Mac and then Drag and Drop the music files into the Salk server.

For backing up I do the same thing but in reverse:  drag server file and drop into your USB drive to copy it.  I have just under 500 GB of music and it took about 12 hours to complete a back up.  I'm constantly adding new music and do a back up every couple months.