DTS:X HT Processor Announcement

Phil A

DTS:X HT Processor Announcement
« on: 13 Apr 2015, 11:06 pm »
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/DTS/dtsx/Surround_Sound/objectbased-mixing/Home_Audio/Receivers/Dolby_Atmos/Denon/Marantz/The_Avengers/age-of-ultron/Marvel/highdef-digests-dtsx-home-theater-guide/22341
“Denon - AVR-X7200W available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade later in 2015 ($2,999)
Integra - launching several models by Fall 2015
Marantz - AV8802 available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade later in 2015 ($3,999)
Onkyo - launching several models by Fall 2015
Pioneer - details to follow
Outlaw – details to follow
Steinway Lyngdorf - P200 Surround Sound Processor available Summer 2015 / DTS:X firmware upgrade in Fall 2015
Theta Digital - Casablanca IVa available Summer 2015 ($17,995)
Trinnov Audio - Altitude32 available now / DTS:X firmware upgrade Summer 2015
Yamaha - launching DTS:X ready models in Fall 2015
Theatrical Releases

Though our emphasis is on the home theater side of things, there are some noteworthy details regarding DTS:X cinema implementation as well. First up, is the news that Marvel's upcoming IMAX release of 'The Avengers: Age of Ultron' “

neekomax

Re: DTS:X HT Processor Announcement
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2015, 12:26 am »
Though our emphasis is on the home theater side of things, there are some noteworthy details regarding DTS:X cinema implementation as well. First up, is the news that Marvel's upcoming IMAX release of 'The Avengers: Age of Ultron' “

Here are a couple of photos taken from when I recently sat in on the mixing of Danny Elfman's original score for that movie at the Technicolor facility (Paramount) here in LA. It's a pretty high tech setup.

My friend and musical collaborator Noah is the one mixing.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2015, 12:56 am »
Really cool!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2015, 01:04 am »
Forgive my ignorance.  What is DTS:X and how is it different than other processing formats?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2015, 01:20 am »
Forgive my ignorance.  What is DTS:X and how is it different than other processing formats?

Does this help?  http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dts-dtsx-object-based-surround-sound-system-released/

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2015, 01:22 am »
Basically it means the spatial info is finer (overhead channel where if it rains in the movie you'll reach for a towel).  I have one spare bedroom with in-ceiling surrounds and I'll just add side surrounds and use the in-ceilings for the overhead channels.  I had in-ceilings installed in the main system a bit over a week ago so it's ready whenever.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2015, 01:29 am »
I haven't read much about it, but from what I understand, DTS:X is much less "demanding" of where speakers are placed. This alone makes me a fan of it over Dolby's latest super surround implementation and their expectations of what consumers are willing to do to their homes.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2015, 02:25 am »
That was the implication with original press releases like - http://v2.twice.com/blog/open-circuit/dueling-surround-formats-won-t-sow-confusion/55571

I guess I'll reserve judgment on any of it until I can hear it on multiple systems. 

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2015, 02:49 am »
I bet this would sound great at your place, Phil...I don't have the room for it, but with those high ceilings you've got it could really add a lot to the effect.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2015, 03:08 am »
I just had the in-ceilings installed in the attic above the living room so that whenever I'm ready I don't have to scramble around.  I guess I'll be watching the introduction of receivers in the fall and then probably watching what factory refurbs come to accessories4less.com a few months after that (or good deals other places).  I'm going to be getting a couple of receivers.  One for the small bedroom where I now have 5.1 and will just be adding side surrounds (which are sitting on my office desk and more often than not I only use the little speakers built into the monitor and I do have a pair of cheapo speakers in the garage I could use in the office if I don't want to buy something new).  May do the small bedroom first as I won't need as high end a receiver as I will for the main system.  Have an Emotiva XPA-200 for the left and right channel, none of the speakers are a hard load to drive and the center channel is fairly efficient (90db from memory).

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2015, 03:53 am »
Nice, I can't wait to see what you end up doing...and then I'm going to come visit  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2015, 04:05 am »
No problem.  The gators in the backyard want to know if you're staying for lunch :green:

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2015, 06:21 am »
No problem.  The gators in the backyard want to know if you're staying for lunch :green:

LOL!

How bout snakes? I heard you guys down there were having a real problem with large snakes, from people who didn't take care of the ones they had as pets. Now they're out reproducing at a rapid rate and taking over the joint. Any encounters?

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2015, 12:58 pm »
LOL!

How bout snakes? I heard you guys down there were having a real problem with large snakes, from people who didn't take care of the ones they had as pets. Now they're out reproducing at a rapid rate and taking over the joint. Any encounters?

That's more likely further south in the Everglades (https://www.google.com/search?q=python+population+map+in+florida&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=1075&tbm=isch&imgil=RfEFg6ClpXdEoM%253A%253B7G9hBx-deP3rCM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fsites.davidson.edu%25252Fdorcas%25252Fmapping-invasive-python-movements%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=RfEFg6ClpXdEoM%253A%252C7G9hBx-deP3rCM%252C_&usg=__B9v_6rXUbZYaymeRv53wwVHbv70%3D&ved=0CDEQyjc&ei=3g0tVYO-OoulNtXageAH#imgrc=RfEFg6ClpXdEoM%253A%3B7G9hBx-deP3rCM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fsites.davidson.edu%252Fdorcas%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2014%252F05%252FScreen-Shot-2014-06-08-at-6.22.45-PM.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fsites.davidson.edu%252Fdorcas%252Fmapping-invasive-python-movements%252F%3B560%3B451).  I'm about 3 hours south of the FL border coming through GA.  That's probably another 3 hours.  I've actually only seen one gator in the wild (other than the zoo) and that was when I was looking at houses on my first trip down here and was about 90 minutes from where I am.

We do have our share of wildlife like eagles, osprey, etc.  I caught the below photo about 150 feet across the lake the other day and the ones below that in trees not far from my lot over the past year.

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 15 Apr 2015, 05:43 am »
Wow, very cool! i could watch those things all day long if i had them hanging out where I live. i love stuff like that.

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2015, 05:32 pm »
From my very limited knowledge of the newer formats (I have a Marantz AV7702, atmos pro), it looks like Auro 3D is going to have a hard time competing.   The DTS:X and Atmos basically can use the same speaker setups, but Auro needs its own.  This seems like a non-starter for Auro unless it is the only survivor (not likely me thinks).

As a student of math, I think the object based processing makes a huge amount of sense and I am very happy for the advent.  It really does offer a lot of flexibility to the consumer for placement as well as the studio for mixing.   They are no longer married at the hip. 

Hopefully the AV7702 was just accidentally left off that list of upcoming upgrades, but I wouldn't cry if it were not.  I've only recently got into surround sound and I think Atmos and all the extra channels are going to keep me happy for a while.

Hopefully, they will also fix Audyssey to not have to be configured for each format, or atleast have discrete memory settings for auto switching between the two. 

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2015, 05:43 pm »
From a strictly monetary standpoint, with either digital or video technology, it usually is not good to be first on the block.  I'll wait until factory refurbs come the end of this year or early next on accessories4less.com.  Then I'll do the one small bedroom first (don't need much power as the room is only about 11x13, the speakers are efficient and not a hard load - front 3 are 8 ohms and about 90db efficient and I have an Emotiva XPA200 driving the left and right) which will replace a Marantz 6003 (which is about 8 years old and will be older by the time I replace it and I'll rotate the Marantz somewhere to upgrade a lesser receiver in another system) and see what shakes out with formats while I decide to get a better receiver for the main system which is an integrated A/V system and I have amps for the front 3 channels.

JonnyFive

« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2015, 06:38 pm »
As a student of math, I think the object based processing makes a huge amount of sense and I am very happy for the advent.  It really does offer a lot of flexibility to the consumer for placement as well as the studio for mixing.   They are no longer married at the hip. 

Object oriented programming has been software paradigm for 30 years, I'm surprised it's taken audio this long to catch up. What is the data?  Is the data a channel of audio?  (Traditional view) Or is the data a person's voice, a saxophone, a Smaug?  (Object-oriented view)

Imagine if object oriented audio had been in existence when Star Wars Phantom Menace came out, you could mute just Jar Jar Binx without affecting the rest of the audio.  (I jest, of course).

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2015, 06:42 pm »

Imagine if object oriented audio had been in existence when Star Wars Phantom Menace came out, you could mute just Jar Jar Binx without affecting the rest of the audio.  (I jest, of course).

:lol: :lol: :lol: Funny - when it first came out and I had not seen it someone told me about the character and they found him annoying.  Didn't bother me though.

witchdoctor

« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2015, 12:56 pm »
From a strictly monetary standpoint, with either digital or video technology, it usually is not good to be first on the block.  I'll wait until factory refurbs come the end of this year or early next on accessories4less.com.  Then I'll do the one small bedroom first (don't need much power as the room is only about 11x13, the speakers are efficient and not a hard load - front 3 are 8 ohms and about 90db efficient and I have an Emotiva XPA200 driving the left and right) which will replace a Marantz 6003 (which is about 8 years old and will be older by the time I replace it and I'll rotate the Marantz somewhere to upgrade a lesser receiver in another system) and see what shakes out with formats while I decide to get a better receiver for the main system which is an integrated A/V system and I have amps for the front 3 channels.

It's time to get that refurb, the Marantz 7702 is about 50% off, get them while they last :thumb: