Quick Subwoofer Story: PSA and Tom V!

ajzepp

Quick Subwoofer Story: PSA and Tom V!
« on: 4 Apr 2015, 04:01 pm »
Some of you guys may already know this, but since I had NO idea, I wanted to share the info in case it helps someone else...

In 2011 I bought a little Outlaw Audio M8 sub. I had just moved into an apartment, so a compact sub was what I was after. And believe me, it did NOT disappoint. I had been accustomed to SVS subs, having owned five of them prior to the Outlaw. It was no SVS PB13 Ultra, but it was plenty satisfying in my 1000sf space.

Anyway, while I was re-arranging my small HT room, when I went to plug in the M8 there was this loud buzzing noise...I isolated the issue and determined it was the amp. I've already made arrangements to have Outlaw Audio repair the amp, BUT, this is where it gets good...

I started taking a look around at what subs were out there, and figured maybe I'd go ahead and upgrade just for the heck of it. I'm in a smaller room now than I was previously, but these units are isolated very well and I feel pretty confident that I can keep it under control. Anyway, I was looking at SVS, but then came into some information about the company. The founders had left several years earlier, and they had shifted a large part of the company to China. I'm sure the subs are still really good, but I have to admit I just wasn't feeling as "proud" of them as I used to...SVS had always been a "made in the USA" type of operation...I also saw that SVS subs were on Amazon, which just left a slightly bad taste in my mouth as if they're focusing on mass market appeal (which doesn't appeal to ME).

I was on AVS in the sub forum, and I just started going to some of the new companies they were talking about that I was not familiar with. One of them was "Power Sound Audio". I landed on the home page, and all of a sudden this little dialogue/chat box thing pops up in the lower R corner of the screen asking if I'd like to talk about the products. It was then that I noticed the name "Tom V" in that little chat box. Now some of you who know about SVS from back in the day, know that there were two main founders - Ron Stimpson and Tom "Sub-Human" Vodhanel. They were a HUGE reason why I owned five SVS subs since 2001, so I had to know if this was in fact THE Tom V.

I sent an email off to them, and sure enough I received a respons within an hour, from none other than the Sub-Human himself! Apparently when he left SVS in 2007, he signed a no-compete agreement for three years. That expired some time in 2011, and by 2012 he had his new company, Power Sound Audio, up and running. I was immediately sold, the PSA subwoofer that was perfect for my situation ws discussed, and I sent Tom V a bunch of my hard earned money.

So as it stands, I'm waiting for my new S1500 subwoofer from PSA to ship so that I can walk that fine line between fantastic apartment HT sound and angry neighbors!  :thumb:  I'll be happy to post some impressions in this thread once I take delivery on it and get it set up, so please let me know if that's something you'd be interested in. It's been pretty quiet around here lately, so I'd like to do my part to get things revved UP!

If any of you guys remember Tom from his SVS days, stop over to PSA and say hello!
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2015, 03:31 pm by ajzepp »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Quick Subwoofer Story
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2015, 06:58 pm »
Yup. Known it for a while. His T-18 sub, is very, very cool.  :thumb: It is probably one of the finer subwoofers out there along with the Funk 18.3, Funk 21.0, Seaton Submersives, Legacy's Goliath, etc.... I was lucky enough to pick up a Funk 18.3.

Have fun, Tom V is one of the good guys, he knows how to design subs....

The S1500 is very competitive with the SVS SB-13 at a much less price.

www.powersoundaudio.com

Best,
Anand.

« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2017, 02:23 pm by poseidonsvoice »

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2015, 07:04 pm »
Yes I've seen the site (been on there a few times but not currently in the market) and I'm sure their products are top notch (and they definitely would be a contender for my $).

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2015, 03:52 am »
Yup. Known it for a while. His T-18 sub, is very, very cool.  :thumb: It is probably one of the finer subwoofers out there along with the Funk 18.3, Funk 21.0, Seaton Submersives, Legacy's Goliath, etc.... I was lucky enough to pick up my Funk 18.3 as B-stock and saved a bunch.

Have fun, Tom V is one of the good guys, he knows how to design subs....

The S1500 is very competitive with the SVS SB-13 at a much less price.

www.powersoundaudio.com

Best,
Anand.

Thanks Anand, I'm really excited to give it a listen...and yep, Tom echoed exactly what you just said...he told me don't be surprised if I don't love the S1500 as much as I loved my SVS 13Ultra from a few years ago. I'm also really stoked about the fact he's using the ICE modules for amplification. I am fascinated by those modules. My Peachtree Nova integrated has a pair of them and they drive the HECK out of my Vader Maggies...I was so surprised by it I made a youtube video...I never do that lol. (Peachtree even ended up using my video in their monthly outreach mailing to their distributors...they loved it lol)

Anyway, I only have one more thing to say to you...

WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME TOM WAS BACK!!!???  (haha, just kidding  :thumb:  )

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2015, 03:53 am »
Yes I've seen the site (been on there a few times but not currently in the market) and I'm sure their products are top notch (and they definitely would be a contender for my $).

I feel the same way. I trust Tom 100% when it comes to subwoofers...he's never led me wrong

ajzepp

Re: Quick Subwoofer Story: PSA and Tom V!
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2015, 03:31 pm »
Just got an update from Tom...looks like I should have an S1500 in house by week's end. I'll be happy to pass along any impressions to anyone interested.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2015, 04:26 pm »
Hi, ajzepp.

I'm not familiar with Tom's story except from what you've posted, but I'd like to hear your impressions on your new subwoofer.

Michael

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2015, 07:52 pm »
Hi, ajzepp.

I'm not familiar with Tom's story except from what you've posted, but I'd like to hear your impressions on your new subwoofer.

Michael

You got it... :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2015, 04:55 pm »
Sorry guys, can't get the darn things right side up with this chromebook...usually I can fix the image before I save it, but can't figure out how to edit on this....  :?

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2015, 05:01 pm »

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2015, 05:02 pm »
That's quite a woofer (the speaker that it :green:)

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2015, 05:31 pm »
That's quite a woofer (the speaker that it :green:)

lol, yes it is...I can't wait to hear it "bark"  :D

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2015, 05:35 pm »
When I had my dog, I would put this test disc on - http://www.musicdirect.com/p-8310-stereophile-test-cd-1.aspx

It has a dog barking in and out of phase and it was hysterical to watch his reaction.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2015, 05:47 pm »
LOL! I gotta get that...he already loves watching TV, so it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to that...that's hilarious

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2015, 07:51 pm »
Wow I wish you guys could come over and hear this...this is by far the best integration I've ever had with a subwoofer...and all I've done so far is calibrate by ear. I have my RSL CG24s crossed over at 80hz, and the S1500 is blending is so well. It's a small room to start with, but it's just effortlessly filling out the low end with amazingly clean bass. I really didn't think it would compete with the quality of my former SVS PB13 Ultra, but this is definitely the best quality low end I've ever heard. On top of that, I'm already a huge fan of ICE amps, and I think that may be part of what I'm loving about this sub. Tom V uses the ICE modules now with DSP correction or whatever, and the whole package just sounds phenomenal.

So far I've watched a couple youtube videos (including the "Bass I Love You" track for fun), the first 20 min of Top Gun, and the first episode of the new Netflix series "Daredevil". The fight scene at the start of Daredevil ep1 was ridiculous...

If you guys don't put Power Sound Audio on your short list the next time you're in the market for a subwoofer, I'm not going to feel bad for ya!  :lol:

I should be able to spend some time with music playback tomorrow, in case anyone would like to hear some thoughts on that.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 12 Apr 2015, 08:01 pm »
I'm sure there subs are first rate.  I don't think they were around when I bought a big sub for the basement system in my old house several years back and I bought a Dayton Audio Titanic MKIII on sale as I had a 15+ year old sub that needed some work.  There are 45,000+ members - we'll be over for tunes and food shortly :green:

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 12 Apr 2015, 08:13 pm »
I'm sure there subs are first rate.  I don't think they were around when I bought a big sub for the basement system in my old house several years back and I bought a Dayton Audio Titanic MKIII on sale as I had a 15+ year old sub that needed some work.  There are 45,000+ members - we'll be over for tunes and food shortly :green:

I think Tom had a no-compete clause with SVS for a few years...I hadn't even heard about them until recently.

And heck yeah, the more the merrier!

I just wish those 45,000 people would post more often in the Home Theater circle! It gets too quiet in here

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2015, 08:42 pm »
Hey ajzepp, congrats on the new sub!

I was wondering if you could describe the sound of the PSA sub. It appears to use a similar cone like the ones on the HSU drivers. Does it sound exactly like you remember the SVS you used to have or is there a difference?

I have dual E15's from Rythmik and although they are fantastic I often wonder what a different driver cone would sound like compared to the aluminum cone in the E15. I always wanted to know if all sealed subs sound alike or if the cone material can play a part in distinguishing the sound.

For the price that sub you got there looks tough to beat and may outperform higher costing subs.

Looks awesome!

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 12 Apr 2015, 08:44 pm »
I probably don't post as often as I should.  At one point years back I was an Admin on a couple of small home theater forums (don't even remember one of them as it was not around that long - like probably 8 months).  I do have multiple home theaters but most often use the main one and the bedroom system.  I'm waiting for the next generation of receivers to upgrade a couple of systems.  Have in-ceiling speakers waiting for Atmos.

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 13 Apr 2015, 02:42 am »
Hey ajzepp, congrats on the new sub!

I was wondering if you could describe the sound of the PSA sub. It appears to use a similar cone like the ones on the HSU drivers. Does it sound exactly like you remember the SVS you used to have or is there a difference?

I have dual E15's from Rythmik and although they are fantastic I often wonder what a different driver cone would sound like compared to the aluminum cone in the E15. I always wanted to know if all sealed subs sound alike or if the cone material can play a part in distinguishing the sound.

For the price that sub you got there looks tough to beat and may outperform higher costing subs.

Looks awesome!

Thanks man! I don't have much time on it yet, but I can easily say that it sounds quite a bit different than the SVS subs I've had. I dont know if it's just that it's sealed, and it's my first of that type of sub, or if it's the driver. I've never had a 15" driver before either, so that's two new variables. The most striking aspect of this one is just the way it's so effortlessly blends into the overall audio presentation. The word that comes to mind is "smooth". Even though I've had a couple true monster subs, it seems as though they always sounded like separate entities, whereas this thing becomes part of the overall sum. I wish I could really let this thing rip...maybe during the week I can do that, cause I'm always home while others are at work. That might allow me to better describe the quality of the driver.

It's pretty fantastic, though...and it's absolutely different than what I"m used to, in a good way!