GREAT Projector Mount

ajzepp

GREAT Projector Mount
« on: 2 Apr 2015, 06:57 pm »
Hey guys...

So back in 2013, I was trying to figure out how to get my Epson projector mounted so that it would work in my room. It doesn't have lens shift, so I either had to mount it at the highest point of the screen or the lowest. Neither was really going to work. Anyway, my living situation didn't quite change as expected, and the mount I ordered at the time ended up sitting in my closet...

...until a week ago  :thumb:

I finally changed up my little HT room after just feeling like I wasn't using it enough. I had the HT part sort of shoved to one side of the room, and it just never really became as comfortable as I wanted. So I re-thought it out, got things balanced out, and then remembered that beautiful mount that was still sitting new in the box. Here is a link for your reference: http://www.amazon.com/Projector-Ceiling-12-8IN-17-3IN-Adjustable-Extension/dp/B00155RH2I/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1427998608&sr=1-4&keywords=peerless+mount

So I'm about half way into revamping things...upgrading my subwoofer (amp plate on my little Outlaw M8 went to amp heaven)...have some room tretments on the way...in the process of sending my Butler amp back to Mr Butler for a re-tubing and upgrade...etc.

But since I always enjoy seeing other AC members pics, I decided to take a couple in-progress to give you an idea of what I'm doing. I made the decision to get the screen about to the same height I would have a plasma tv, and I love it. It really gives it a theatrical effect, but since my head is right about at mid-screen, it's not too much for me. Forgive the various "stuff" in the room, as I'm still taking down some things and puttin up others.

ajzepp

Re: GREAT Projector Mount
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2015, 09:48 pm »
*ambient cricket noise*

My gosh, not a single post anywhere in the ENTIRE home theater circle in over 24 hrs?? What happened to this place? Used to be thriving, man.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:54 am »
I'm Here....I'm here! !!!!!  :lol:
Looking good. Always glad to see another "projector guy" in the HT area.

As far as the traffic here, it seems to come in spurts, and "yes", it's been quiet recently.
Thanks for the pics though. It's always great to see what others are doing in their HT rooms.

Bob

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2015, 02:53 am »
*ambient cricket noise*

My gosh, not a single post anywhere in the ENTIRE home theater circle in over 24 hrs?? What happened to this place? Used to be thriving, man.

I was wondering about the position of your screen. Is it a bit low, or it that just how the photo makes it look?

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2015, 04:45 am »
I'm Here....I'm here! !!!!!  :lol:
Looking good. Always glad to see another "projector guy" in the HT area.

As far as the traffic here, it seems to come in spurts, and "yes", it's been quiet recently.
Thanks for the pics though. It's always great to see what others are doing in their HT rooms.

Bob

Hey Bob :)  Yeah, I've really been surprised lately. I usually stop in here once a week to see what everyone is up to, but often times Im lucky to have even a few posts to read...we gotta spice this place up, man!  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2015, 05:01 am »
I was wondering about the position of your screen. Is it a bit low, or it that just how the photo makes it look?

Yep, looking at the pic, it does look lower than it actually is in the room, but I do also have it a bit lower than I probably would otherwise. Reason being, the seating is quite low, so as it stands, your head comes up about 1/3 of the height of the screen. Between 1/3 and 1/2, so you're still looking up slightly. Given that the seating is so close, this made for much less strain than if I had the screen higher. Ideally I'd love to use more of the room and move the seating back, but since Im in an apartment and work from home, I have to keep my work station in the back of the room. For some reason the camera on my iPHone doesn't quite convey the dimensions properly...it does have a different feel in person.

It's going to be interesting when I get my subwoofer in here next week...it's a bit of a monster and it's going to be firing directly into the back of the seating  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:36 pm »
It's a great looking mount that really works well in that spot.  I have two projectors.  One (in the bedroom) has a cheapo (around $13) Monoprice mount as I don't have the flexibility to move the picture.  I tried the same mount in the main room but since I wanted the screen lower it was about 8 or so inches short of where it needed to be so I opted for an adjustable mount.  I'd imagine at some point down the road I may opt to take the main room projector to the bedroom and get a new main room projector.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:51 pm »
Yep, looking at the pic, it does look lower than it actually is in the room, but I do also have it a bit lower than I probably would otherwise. Reason being, the seating is quite low, so as it stands, your head comes up about 1/3 of the height of the screen. Between 1/3 and 1/2, so you're still looking up slightly. Given that the seating is so close, this made for much less strain than if I had the screen higher. Ideally I'd love to use more of the room and move the seating back, but since Im in an apartment and work from home, I have to keep my work station in the back of the room. For some reason the camera on my iPHone doesn't quite convey the dimensions properly...it does have a different feel in person.

It's going to be interesting when I get my subwoofer in here next week...it's a bit of a monster and it's going to be firing directly into the back of the seating  :thumb:

In my case, the equipment rack is fairly tall, which means I had to mount the screen higher than I really wanted. Relocating the rack to the side would solve that problem, but the three 20 amp circuits I had specially installed would then be less accessible.  :slap:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2015, 02:04 pm »
In my case, the equipment rack is fairly tall, which means I had to mount the screen higher than I really wanted. Relocating the rack to the side would solve that problem, but the three 20 amp circuits I had specially installed would then be less accessible.  :slap:

I had that in my old pace.  Had 40 inch tall Salamander Synergy towers with bridges connecting them and the screen had to sit over that.  It was just too high.  So I had a custom rack done for the new place.  I just bought another bridge for the Synergy racks, which sit in a spare bedroom, were just too high up.  So I moved a 55 inch TV upstairs and moved the 50 inch set up there on the new bridge which is now at a good height.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2015, 03:45 pm »
It's a great looking mount that really works well in that spot.  I have two projectors.  One (in the bedroom) has a cheapo (around $13) Monoprice mount as I don't have the flexibility to move the picture.  I tried the same mount in the main room but since I wanted the screen lower it was about 8 or so inches short of where it needed to be so I opted for an adjustable mount.  I'd imagine at some point down the road I may opt to take the main room projector to the bedroom and get a new main room projector.

I was probably using the same Monoprice mount you were...HELL of a bargain. What projectors do you have? I was looking around at the current line, but I am still so happy with the Epson 3010 I just decided to get a new lamp and keep it going for another couple years. So many great projectors out there though...amazing values.

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2015, 03:47 pm »

Ahhhh, the 20amp circuit. How I miss my beloved Oyaide outlet on the 20a circuit I had at my former house. Those are fantastic investments, especially if you have power hungry speakers like Magnepans. Mine were so happy having all that current available...the memories....:) 

What does the rest of your rig look like?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2015, 05:30 pm »
Ahhhh, the 20amp circuit. How I miss my beloved Oyaide outlet on the 20a circuit I had at my former house. Those are fantastic investments, especially if you have power hungry speakers like Magnepans. Mine were so happy having all that current available...the memories....:) 

What does the rest of your rig look like?

Here is a recent picture. Everything is currently shifted out of the way while I installed cork flooring. The rack is from Steve Blinderman. The speakers are Salk SongTowers. I have a Yamaha receiver for movies and Ncore monoblocks with a battery-powered Tortuga LDR (DIY) for music. The blu-ray is from Oppo with a Darbee Darblet for picture sharpening. The screen is a Silver Ticket 125 inch, and the project is an old JVC RS-1.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 4 Apr 2015, 06:58 pm »
I was probably using the same Monoprice mount you were...HELL of a bargain. What projectors do you have? I was looking around at the current line, but I am still so happy with the Epson 3010 I just decided to get a new lamp and keep it going for another couple years. So many great projectors out there though...amazing values.

I have an Epson 8350 in the bedroom (pic below) and an Epson 5030 in the main system (pic below - I still have my old BenQ W5000 with low hours sitting in the garage for now as a spare)

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2015, 06:59 pm »
I have a 20 amp circuit (with my Torus 20 amp conditioner plugged into it) and two 15 amp circuits each on their own receptacle.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #14 on: 4 Apr 2015, 08:51 pm »
I have a 20 amp circuit (with my Torus 20 amp conditioner plugged into it) and two 15 amp circuits each on their own receptacle.

Are you using the wall-mounted speakers as your main L/R for home theater or are they used as presence speakers?

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 4 Apr 2015, 09:08 pm »
Are you using the wall-mounted speakers as your main L/R for home theater or are they used as presence speakers?

No - the wall mounted speakers are for PLiiz - height channels.  Have a 9.2 configuration for now (in the main system) and how two in-ceilings installed yesterday for whenever I eventually do Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.  No rush.  I have one spare room that I keep dark that is for daytime.  I just got a new bridge between the Salamander Synergy towers (pic below and used one of the old bridges for a center channel stand).  I have in-ceiling surrounds but will eventually move a pair of side surrounds and probably do the new formats first in that system.

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2015, 09:13 pm »
I have 5.1 in the master bedroom system, 4.1 in the upstairs bonus/guest room and for now just doing two channel in the office and one other spare bedroom, although I do have in-ceilings if I decide to do otherwise in those two rooms.  I most often use the main system and master bedroom for movies followed by the system pic in my previous post.

For two channel I use the main system or the below most of the time (on occasion I use the previously posted system with a separate preamp with HT Bypass and a hard drive with hi-rez files attached to an Oppo 103D.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2015, 11:52 pm »
I have 5.1 in the master bedroom system, 4.1 in the upstairs bonus/guest room and for now just doing two channel in the office and one other spare bedroom, although I do have in-ceilings if I decide to do otherwise in those two rooms.  I most often use the main system and master bedroom for movies followed by the system pic in my previous post.

For two channel I use the main system or the below most of the time (on occasion I use the previously posted system with a separate preamp with HT Bypass and a hard drive with hi-rez files attached to an Oppo 103D.

Are you considering a 4K set or projector? It seems you really need to go with a BIG screen to justify the cost.

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 5 Apr 2015, 12:04 am »
Probably not going to be for a bit.  Next year or , I'll upgrade a receiver first (have a 7 year old one) and then perhaps another receiver after that for the main system (which is an integrated A/V system).  We'll see where price are a couple of years from now and what sets are still functional.  The room where I have a TV and just reconfigured the system has a 50 inch set but I sit just 7 feet away.  I use the TV in the room with the Ohm Microwalsh Talls mainly for a monitor for the music server and that is a 42 inch TV that is over 10 years old.  So if that every went, rotating the 50 set in there (which was not an expensive set) and getting a 4K 50 inch set where I do some watching of movies would not be a big deal.  I wouldn't buy 4k now for at least a year anyway and unless something breaks it will probably be a few years.

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 5 Apr 2015, 04:01 am »
Here is a recent picture. Everything is currently shifted out of the way while I installed cork flooring. The rack is from Steve Blinderman. The speakers are Salk SongTowers. I have a Yamaha receiver for movies and Ncore monoblocks with a battery-powered Tortuga LDR (DIY) for music. The blu-ray is from Oppo with a Darbee Darblet for picture sharpening. The screen is a Silver Ticket 125 inch, and the project is an old JVC RS-1.

Nice, a 2.35:1 screen! Do you use an anamorphic lens on your JVC? Or do the zoom technique? I've thought a lot about going to widescreen...I love the look