Class D Amp recommendations? Pascal?

barrows

• Industry Participant
Re: Class D Amp recommendations? Pascal?
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2015, 05:03 pm »
Pascal based amps generally require an input buffer because the input impedance of the modules alone is very low.  From pics, it appears that Aluminati uses the input buffers available from Pascal (same as supplied with their eval kits) and D-sonic designs their own input buffer.  Both of these input buffers appear to be IC opamp based.  The input buffer is likely going to have a significant influence on the sonic signature, so I think it would be unwise to assume that different Pascal implementations would sound the same.
Rowland also uses Pascal in some amps, but uses a transformer input followed by discrete devices before the module.
It would be interesting to see some more companies try their hand at Pascal based amps, I would love to hear one with a really good FET input buffer, or even tube...

OzarkTom

Re: Class D Amp recommendations? Pascal?
« Reply #21 on: 26 Mar 2015, 11:12 pm »
You don' t need to go any farther than the link below. I have one and it is fabulous. If it is still being offered for $1399, that's a steal. (I paid full price.  :bawl:)
http://aluminatisound.com/x2-class-d-stereo-amplifier.html

There is a used one here on AC for $1100 and includes a better power cable and some Herbie feet.