Class D Amp recommendations? Pascal?

Canman

Class D Amp recommendations? Pascal?
« on: 23 Mar 2015, 08:27 pm »
I have an older Class D Audio CDA amp that has been great in most respects- though with the midrange in my set up (eg piano) I find it a bit sharp to my ears.  Has anyone found the new modules such as Pascal as in the D-Sonic or Aluminati to be less sharp in the mids? 

thanks!

Chris Adams

Re: Class D Amp recommendations? Pascal?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2015, 08:44 pm »
Don't know how much oomph you're looking for but after owning a Hypex nCore 400 for about a year, I made the move to D-Sonic M3-1500M monoblocks. I think they are less dry and just plain easier to listen to. If you haven't read this review  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dsonic/1.html  here you go. Call Dennis at D-Sonic, he's a nice guy and very willing to answer questions.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2015, 08:50 pm »
There is Digital Amplifier Company (DAC) right here on AudioCircle.  One of their amplifiers went up for sale today here.  That does not happen very often.  You should check out their website and Circle.

lynhnn

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2015, 06:00 am »
In the last 4 years or so have had Wyred4sound, Bel Canto Evo6, PS Audio, and lately Channels Island D-200 (UDC), then M22 NAD (ncore) and DIY (nc400). None of these can beat D-sonic M3-800 (pascal M-PRO2 module) that I've got lately. I still have the nc400 that I build but while the ncore give plain cold music with lots of highs and lows that can serve very well in background music or bedroom setup, the D-sonic gives me the sweet of vocals and very easy to listen music and lots of power to please.

My vote is for D-sonic and I loved to deal with Dennis!

Canman

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2015, 11:03 am »
Thanks for the great replies.  I have talked to Dennis at D-Sonic and am leaning that way.   

Quiet Earth

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2015, 09:35 pm »
I'm curious to know which D-Sonic model is the best choice for speakers that do not require very much power.

I like the idea of having mono-blocks, but the difference in gain and input impedance between the 600M and 1500M suggest they are not basically the same amp with the only difference being the output module. Also, the 1500M and 800S get lots of praise (relatively lots), but no one ever mentions the 600M. Is that a different amp all together?

Quiet Earth

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:09 pm »
I sent Dennis an email. I suppose I might as well get it from the source.
Hope he's not too busy.  :D

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:44 pm »
Hi,

This thread has got me interested in the D-Sonic products. I sent Dennis an email today and got a very quick reply!

I'd be interested in what Dennis has to say about your question. I was thinking about the 600 because I don't need the power of the 1500.

Gene

santacore

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:56 pm »
If possible, please post the information you receive from the manufacturer for the rest of us.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2015, 11:05 pm »
Hi,

I questioned Dennis about the difference between M2 series and M3 series since according to the 6 Moons review, he was using the M2-1500. But Dennis said the reviewer was actually using the latest (Pascal?) M3 unit but it went to print before it could be changed.

Gene

lynhnn

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2015, 11:06 pm »
For entertainment ... nc400 on top of D-sonic stereo amp for audition ...

Canman

« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2015, 12:56 am »
I sent Dennis an email. I suppose I might as well get it from the source.
Hope he's not too busy.  :D

Yes let us know what you find out.  I have the same situation- efficient speakers and wondering which amp would suit best. 

Randy

« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2015, 02:46 am »
Yes let us know what you find out.  I have the same situation- efficient speakers and wondering which amp would suit best.

You don' t need to go any farther than the link below. I have one and it is fabulous. If it is still being offered for $1399, that's a steal. (I paid full price.  :bawl:)
http://aluminatisound.com/x2-class-d-stereo-amplifier.html

Quiet Earth

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2015, 03:54 am »
If possible, please post the information you receive from the manufacturer for the rest of us.

I received a reply from Dennis within an hour, but I wasn't here so I missed it. Here is what I have received from him so far :

"M3-1500M and M3-800M (not on website) are Pascal technology. M3-600M-A is Anaview technology. We developed an input buffer for the former, did not deem one necessary for the latter."

I haven't gotten that far yet, but we are working on it. He asked me about my room size and how loud I like to listen. I'll keep you posted.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2015, 04:21 pm »
Well, the second email said that the 600M would have all the power I would ever need. Ok, but I already knew that.

I'm not going to keep bugging him to find out which amp will sound better when only pushing a few watts. I'll let someone else take that on. Besides, it's kind of like asking someone which of his kids he likes better.

Maybe it's a silly idea to use a class D amp with very efficient speakers. :dunno: I was thinking that it would be fun to have them in the main system during the hottest summer months, and also to use them other places around the house like in a second system or with my band practice gear, etc. Just an idea I have been kicking around for a while.

FWIW, there are some favorable threads about both the Pascal and Anaview modules on the Audiogon forums. It seems to me that if you wanted monoblocks, and you have an active preamp, the 600M would be the one to get. (Less parts in the circuit - no buffer)
If you are fine with the stereo unit or you have a passive pre (and you have efficient speakers), then just get the 800S. Still plenty of power. Just my 2cents based on what I have learned so far.

Will keep watching this thread to learn more.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 2015, 05:05 pm »
Yeah, makes you wonder what the M3-800M is about.

Cool running in the summer is exactly what I'm looking for. Even 600W is a lot more than I'll ever need. I've got a small listening/living room and never try to blow the windows out (too old for that  :nono:). I've some small Maggies, some big heavy 2 way monitors and several sets of small monitors. I've only got one vacant shelf on my rack, so monos are very attractive.

I've been thinking about the DAC Inline Maraschinos, D-Sonic monos and even the Aluminatti X2's. There's one for sale here on AC that I've inquired about. I even thought about using 1 X2 (as stereo) for a while and then picking up a second one for mono use. Lots of choices in the high power D Class world.

Gene

Canman

« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 2015, 05:39 pm »
Just got off the phone w/ Dennis at D Sonic.  It came down to buget and practicality for me. there is no question the M3 800s (stereo w/ pascal modules) will have more than enough power for my 95db speakers.  I just orderd one so I'll report back after I have it in the system.  30 day return policy so I think it's worth a try.

jtsnead

« Reply #17 on: 25 Mar 2015, 07:37 pm »
I have the M3=800M mono amps and love them, I have a diy ClassD dual mono amp single power supply
that I was using, I feel the D Sonic amps have better low to mid bass definition, less grainy and maybe a
little warmer in the mid range

I use a Audio Research LS-17SE with 6H30 tubes for a preamp which is a good match with these, I thought hard
about the stereo amp but really wanted mono amps for the obvious reasons plus. Also every time I went to more power
my Joseph Audio speakers improved. It freed up a shelf on my rack

Lynhnn that is good to know that you like the stereo amp better than the Ncore since I was almost ready to buy
a mono set but change my mind to the Pascal based amps based on certain people and companies going that way

Canman let us know how you like it

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2015, 08:36 pm »
I have the M3=800M mono amps and love them

Hi,

Since this amp is admittedly (by Dennis himself) not on the website, what are its specs?

Thanks,

Gene

jtsnead

« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2015, 04:40 pm »
800 watts each, I think into 8 or 4 ohms