Used LPs in Greater Detroit?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Used LPs in Greater Detroit?
« on: 22 Mar 2015, 01:11 am »
Gonna have a day to kill up there.  Suggestions?  Folk, rock, classical, soundtracks are main interests.

Thanks!

'brick

rjmaurer

Re: Used LPs in Greater Detroit?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2015, 05:13 am »
Just got back into vinyl after a 30+ year break. Got into CDs the month or so after they came out, it was a bit of a distraction .... Now that vinyl has made a return with me I've visied a few Detroit area shops. Here is what I know so far ...

UHF  512 S. Washington royal oak
Good rock collection. I've picked up a jazz lp there recently which was very nice (good price & surface quality). Almost no classical .. One small bin. Did find a Wynton Marsalis trumpet concerto lp that was worth the purchase.

Solo Records 30118 Woodward Royal Oak
Nice collection of used CDs as well as lots of vinyl. Last time I stopped there (last week) got some Dave Brubeck jazz CDs. Couple bins of classical and more in boxes on the floor if you care to dig ...

Flipside Records 41 E 14 mile road Clawson
Only stopped in here once but I was impressed with their selection. Good rock collection and soundtracks.  Almost no classical.

Hope this helps! Have fun.

weatherman1

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2015, 05:28 am »
http://dearbornmusic.net/  Have not been here for 10years but when I lived in the area I dropped a buck on used vinyl and CD's.  They have bins of used by category and did have a knowledgeable staff that directed you to what you were looking for.  Most of the time they said " oh, ya" walked to a table and pulled it for you.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2015, 01:59 pm »
Thanks, guys!  That'll be enough to keep me busy.

weatherman, I'll be quite close to Dearborn Music and it sound ideal!

May slide over to Ann Arbor for a little Craigslist hunting.  Got my eye on a Nikon lens over there.    :hyper:

Grbluen

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2015, 03:55 pm »
If you get to Ann Arbor, don't forget to check out Encore records. They have a really nice selection.

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2015, 05:12 pm »
PJ's in Ann Arbor also, have a separate section for rock imports.
Tiny compared to Encore but better curated.

Paul

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2015, 05:13 pm »
Been to Emcore, thanks!   :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2015, 10:35 am »
Been to Emcore, thanks!   :thumb:

Then try PJ's. Small, packed with records, on the second floor up a rickety staircase. And you can have a felafel in the restaurant below while you examine your catch of the day.

P