Want to try a multi-sub array for not much $$? Pinnacle SubSonic subs CHEAP!!

neekomax

Whelp, I'll soon have THREE of these jammies smoothing out my in-room bass response, bought for peanuts. Originally sold for something like $700, these are selling for $400 on Amazon... but you can buy up to 3 for $160 each on woot.com!

The same sale also has 600 Watt Dual 8 inchers, and even 800 Watt dual 12 inch subs if you're feeling flush. I own one of these SubSonic Dual 6.5"s  already in another system (someone gave me one), and they ROCK. Tight as all get out, and deep bass in a tiny footprint. These things are no joke. I can imagine that the 8s and 12s must be awesome. There's not a lot of discussion of these subs out there, but having heard them, I have no doubt this is a great deal. You could probably re-sell them on ebay and MAKE money if you wanted.  :lol:   

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/pinnacle-dual-6-5-300w-powered-subwoofer-14?ref=cnt_wp_1_31

Pinnacle Speaker SubSonic Dual 6.5" 300W Powered Subwoofer
Ultra Compact, Bipole, Acoustic Suspension Component Drivers:  Dual 6.5" heavyweight fibercone woofers with rubber surrounds, 2" voice coils and 30 ounce magnets
Subwoofer Low End Frequency Response: 28 Hz (- 3 dB)
Maximum SPL: 107.5 dB
Variable Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: 50 - 150 Hz
Optional Satellite Speaker Crossover: First Order @ 80 Hz
System Power: 350 Watts
Dimensions: 9.25"(W) x 8"(H) x 9.4"(D) (with Amp & Grilles)
Cabinet Construction: 3/4" MDF (medium-density fiberboard)
Weight: 25 lbs
In the box:
 Pinnacle Speaker SubSonic Dual 6.5" 300W Powered Subwoofer
10' High Quality Gold Plated Interconnect Cable
Audiophile Caliber Solid Brass Isolation Cones (feet)
Owner's Manual

neekomax

These subs use two drivers each in opposed bipole arrangement, like so. So the 6.5" drivers basically move the air of a single 10" driver, with vibrations cancelled out.

So 2 of 'em... I guess that's like an 18" sub, but with faster drivers and better positioning options?

More info here: http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/subsonic.html

srb

These subs use two drivers each in opposed bipole arrangement, like so. So the 6.5" drivers basically move the air of a single 10" driver, with vibrations cancelled out.

It's sometimes hard to compare woofer sizes because the nominal frame size 6.5", 8", 10", 12", 15", 18" have different actual cone areas depending on the make and model.  But using the frame size for calculations, 6.5" = ~ 33 sq. in. and a 10" = ~ 79 sq in., so I could see the "two 6.5 inch = one 10 inch" comparison.

So 2 of 'em... I guess that's like an 18" sub, but with faster drivers and better positioning options?

15" =  ~ 177 sq. in. and 18" = ~ 254 sq. in. so I would guess two of the subwoofers might equal a 14" or 15".  But of course the larger woofers would go down a bit deeper.

I haven't seen any "$800" subwoofers with spring-loaded speaker terminals or DVD-type captive power cords, so I'm a bit skeptical of the "list" price, but I would still imagine they are probably a good deal at only $160.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Didn't see spring loaded speaker terminals, but a quick search didn't reveal any images of the plate amp.

This must be an old design (one of the reviews was from 2002).

But I like bipole designs for a couple of reasons.

I'm tempted to use 4 of them to create a poor man's swarm system.

Thanks for the heads up!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Buy four the frugal "Swarm". Set two at speakers and two left and right of listening position. Set phase at 90 degrees for subs at rear and be very happy.

charles

srb

Didn't see spring loaded speaker terminals, but a quick search didn't reveal any images of the plate amp.

The image that I looked at from a web search did, but I may have been looking at the wrong version as the Product Spec Sheet linked from their webpage does say "Gold Plated Binding Posts".

neekomax

Yes, these are an old design, and they do have the crummy spring loaded binding posts and captive power cord. I believe the 'gold plated biding posts' refers to the RCA inputs jacks.

I would have been a bit skeptical if I had gotten this recommendation, given the size of the subs and relative lack of audiophile cred that Pinnacle has. But having lived with one in a fairly large room (friend gave me one when he was moving so I just added it to the living room system), I can tell you that they're pretty good. Would I buy one for $800? Hell no.

But 2 for $350? Um....