Songtowers with Job 225 amp?

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
Songtowers with Job 225 amp?
« on: 16 Mar 2015, 04:20 am »
Hey guys,

I'm currently using a Job225/JobPre2 combo in my listenig room with Kef LS50's. I really enjoy the combo but I am wondering if the STs would be a step up, especially in the lower registers?

So I guess this is really a 2 part question:

1. Has anyone tried Job amplification with STs, or any Salk's?
2. Would the STs be an upgrade from my LS50's with Skylan stands?

My room is 12'x18'

Thanks!

- Woody

mick wolfe

Re: Songtowers with Job 225 amp?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2015, 04:54 am »
With all due respect to the LS 50, I'd take the Songtowers in a heartbeat.  Probably at least 3 db more efficient and deeper bass for sure.  I think its true strength is the voicing. Always has been involving and organic to my ear. Btw, should be an absolute piece of cake drive for the Job 225 presenting a greater sense of ease than your small monitors.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2015, 09:02 pm »
Woody

I'm not familiar with the Job amp and preamp, but I own STs and drive them with a B&K EX4420 amp that is rated at 200 wpc.

Last summer I was able to directly compare my STs and a pair of KEF LS50s in my home, with my amp.  While I liked the LS50, I agree with mick wolfe's comments – I'd take the STs in a heartbeat.  The owner of the LS50s was buying a used pair of STs, and while he is keeping his KEFs, they have been demoted in status around his house since he brought home the STs.

In my opinion, the LS50 and the Salk SongSurround I are a closer match, except for the better overall treble of the Salk 2-way.  That and the more than 50% higher price of the LS50.

Ictwoody

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2015, 09:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies, fellas.

I had another AC member send me a PM with some insight into the Job 225 / Songtower combo. He felt that is was a great match and had them in a room just slightly (3' less) smaller than mine. He didn't speak to them in relation to the LS50's, but you guys have kinda done that here. You're not helping my financial decisions today.

Hmmm...

- Woody
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2015, 01:45 am by Ictwoody »

srb

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2015, 12:12 am »
I don't want to incite ( ;) ) any further trouble, but the insight I want to pass along is that the 125W Job 225 driving the 85dB KEF LS50 would be more or less equivalent to having a 250W Job driving the 88dB Salk SongTower.  Given the slightly overall lower impedance of the SongTower also means you might coax even a bit more wattage out of the Job.

With a -3dB point of 79Hz for the LS50 versus 42Hz for the Songtower, you also have nearly another whole octave of usable lower bass.

Steve

Ictwoody

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2015, 01:49 am »
Ha! Thanks for the insight, Steve.  :oops:

- Woody

I don't want to incite ( ;) ) any further trouble, but the insight I want to pass along is that the 125W Job 225 driving the 85dB KEF LS50 would be more or less equivalent to having a 250W Job driving the 88dB Salk SongTower.  Given the slightly overall lower impedance of the SongTower also means you might coax even a bit more wattage out of the Job.

With a -3dB point of 79Hz for the LS50 versus 42Hz for the Songtower, you also have nearly another whole octave of usable lower bass.

Steve

robcentola

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2015, 06:16 pm »
Another member teetering on the Event Horizon.  :fishing: