HD PVR box arrived today!

gonefishin

« on: 24 Sep 2004, 10:33 pm »
Well, I just got my new Motorola HD/PVR cable box hooked up and couldn't be happier!  

Our VCR recently bit the dust, and I thought...instead of buying a new (throw away) VCR...why don't we get one of the new HD/PVR cable boxes that are out?  

My main concern with going with the HD/PVR was if there would be a reduction in HD picture quality due to the video actually being recorded as it's being played.  Once it was hooked up I was happy to see that there was no noticeable reduction in picture quality.  Unfortunaly, the lower cable channels still look like crapola!  But hey...it's cable...and that what we get for going with cable ;)

So far I've only played around with the PVR features and haven't recorded a whole movie yet...or even watched anything for any length of time.  But I could certainly see how useful this new feature is going to be!  Can't wait to pause the football game and come back without missing anything...or replay a "questionable" call.

As usually...I don't expect much in the service (or knowledge) department from Comcast.  I recieved my new HD/PVR box with no instructions on how to use it, and the "tech" that hooked it up had no idea how to operate it.  True, most things I may be able to figure out...but how will I know the things I'm not able to figure out?

one and a half thumbs up! :thumb:

:D  Dan

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2004, 11:20 pm »
How much is Comcast charging for this? My exising Comcast/Motorola HD box is somewhat flakey, so a new box would be very nice, especially with a PVR built in.

dogberry

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2004, 01:15 am »
Mine is going to be installed on Tuesday.  You might try looking up the model number on the web and see if there's a manual to be had (that's what I plan on doing, not expecting the Comcast tech to know his left from his right).

I've been waiting for the rebuild to be completed and get HiDef, but after waiting for months, what I really want is the DVR!

More on Tuesday.

gonefishin

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2004, 01:16 am »
Quote from: mgalusha
How much is Comcast charging for this? My exising Comcast/Motorola HD box is somewhat flakey, so a new box would be very nice, especially with a PVR built in.

flackey how?

The PVR box was actually in the same motorola box.  Just with this added feature inside also.  The price for a regular digital cable box is $3.00.  The HD box is $5.00.  The HD/PVR box is $9.95.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2004, 12:40 pm »
Quote from: gonefishin
flackey how?

The PVR box was actually in the same motorola box.  Just with this added feature inside also.  The price for a regular digital cable box is $3.00.  The HD box is $5.00.  The HD/PVR box is $9.95.

Sometimes the output from the SP-DIF is very distorted on both the coax and optical outputs. Not always but when it acts up it seems to affect all channels.

Thanks for the info on the price, I'll pay the extra $5/month for the HD/PVR.

mike

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2004, 01:08 pm »
Does the PVR have much of a programming guide?? I'm currently using a Tivo unit: the programming is great since it'll scan for all "Tennis" programs, will record every "West Wing" (with Season Pass), or tell me when the movie "Magdalene Sisters" will air next (when I've tuned in accidentally 30 minutes into the movie).  The $12.95/ month for Tivo is its drawback.

gonefishin

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2004, 03:45 am »
Hi Tonto :)  

I haven't had much time to play with it yet (Our daughter had her 2nd birthday party today :D )  But it does seem like movies and events are somewhat categorized (such as football, racing and such), but I'm disappointed that I couldn't find anything similar to the Tivo season pass.  Perhaps I've just overlooked it so far (not having any instructions  :x )  But if that's the case...and it is there somewhere...it should certainly be easier to find.

all in all...I hope to have some time to just sit back and become a couch potato in the future.  It's been a busy dang summer!

Sometimes the output from the SP-DIF is very distorted on both the coax and optical outputs. Not always but when it acts up it seems to affect all channels.

Does it do this on all channels or just all HD channels?  Is it something that has always been in the box or something that has developed?

I haven't had any box problems at home, but we also have an HD box at work which has developed a sort of crack...or pop/snap in the sound which is more dominant in the left channel...but also occurs in the right.  It seems like it's narrowed down to be inside the box itself.  

One of these days we gotta exchange the box...but we haven't had time yet  :(

take care,
  dan

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2004, 12:30 pm »
Quote from: gonefishin
Does it do this on all channels or just all HD channels? Is it something that has always been in the box or something that has developed?

Dan,

It's something the box developed over time. The distortion seems to occur on all channels. Most of the time it's OK and the analog outs are woking properly so I haven't bothered to have Comast bring me a new one. I did try several different cables, both coax and optical and it doesn't seem to be a cable problem. I tried various inputs on my pre/pro and there is no difference which certainly points to the Motorola box as the problem.

I'm going to give them a call and see about getting the HD/PVR and that should take care of everthing.

mike

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2004, 03:31 pm »
i recieved my hd pvr a few weeks ago-still havent taped(lol) a hd show to find out if it does that also or just is a hd reciever.
addded espn hd  last weekend  :mrgreen:

gonefishin

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2004, 07:52 pm »
yup, it tapes HD also.  I think it's supposed to have a 20-22 hour capacity for regular broadcast recordings...and 10-12 hours of HD recordings.

The boxes that are supposed to come out later in the year are supposed to be two tuner HD PVR boxes.  So you could watch one HD channel while recording another HD broadcast.  Cool!

rosconey

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2004, 08:47 pm »
my box is a scientific atlanta-explorer 8000.

tried and it does tape in hd :mrgreen:

Levi

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2004, 09:09 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
my box is a scientific atlanta-explorer 8000.

tried and it does tape in hd :mrgreen:

Got one too!  Do you have the output for VCR working?

rosconey

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2004, 09:21 pm »
Do you have the output for VCR working?

wtf is a vcr :lol:

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2004, 09:46 pm »
Tivo has a function similarly labelled "Record to VCR" which is useful for transferring material to a DVD recorder, freeing up hard drive space.

gonefishin

« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2004, 03:51 pm »
Well, I just traded n my HD/DVR cable box the other day for a new Dual tuner HD/DVR box.  I now have the ability to record one channel while watching (or scrolling) another channel...or record two different channels at the same time.

The box also came with a much improved "guide" and recording features for subscribing to an entire season of shows...either with re-runs or only recording first-run shows.  The guide not only scrolls much faster, but has an improved skin.  The improved skin allows you to see two hours of programming and it still has a window so you can view the program your currently watching.

another note is going into one of the box menu's for your cable box.  If you've got a monitor capable of displaying pictures better than 480i, you may want to give this a try.

Keep your Tv on, but turn your cable box power off.  With the cable box power off press the menu button.  You should get a menu that comes up on your screen note that selecting this feature could have a hair trigger.  Push the button once quickly then let go.  Inside the menu you may see some features that you could select...such as changing the monitor output to 16:9, if you have a wide screen television.  You can also choose to display your standard definition channels as 480p instead of the default 480i.

take care,

dan

gonefishin

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2005, 07:31 pm »
Hi guys,

Just figured I'd give an update.  The dual tuner HD dvr is still a real treat to have in the house.  I really wouldn't even waste my time with the single tuner, that is...if the dual tuner is available ;)

Since we've had the dual tuner I haven't rented even one movie to date.  It seems like we've always got a law&order or CSI or some cooking show to watch.  Plus, most of the time, it's recorded in DD5.1 HD.  That is...if it's one of the prime time shows.

But today I pushed the menu button and noticed that we (finally) had the ON demand feature.  Now this is what cable should have started about three or four years ago.  I never could understand what was taking so long.  I mean...they had all the pieces to make it work.  I suppose it just took a while to put those pieces together.

Anyway, the on demand feature is "somewhat" limited in the number of movies right now...but there are still a lot to select from.  

this looks promising!

dan

edit add: After going thru all the categories and sub-categories, I'm actually surprised by the amount of movies already available to watch:)

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2005, 11:04 pm »
There's a long thread over on AVS for the Motoroloa 6412 dual tuner HD-DVR from Comcast.

gonefishin

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2005, 12:35 am »
Thanks for the link Dan.  I wonder how many areas have the ON demand feature working on their digital cable?  It's just sooo nice to finally see a library of movies stored on the "home" cable server that's just waiting to be watched.  
   They've even got a couple of new releases in regular format, wide screen DD5.1  format and HD DD5.1 format.  Not to mention the cooking shows, DIY shows, classic movies, newer movies, HBO specials etc.

thanks again,

dan

rosconey

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2005, 12:53 am »
its nice recording 2 hd shows at once :mrgreen:

JoshK

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2005, 12:55 am »
I'd love to get one but I don't pay for TV, only OTA for me. Wonder if you can buy one of these babies out right without some pay through your @$$ crappy service.