SS8s or M7s and F-15s in 12 X 14 Dedicated Room . . .

CrazyBlue

. . . with a peaked ceiling from 8' at the walls to 12' in the center? Total placement freedom, sealed, freestanding room will be finished with padded carpet on a slab, mineral wool stuffed, double-sheetrocked walls (2x6 construction) and ceiling, with floor-to-ceiling, home-made, two-foot deep, triangle bass traps in each corner, set out from the walls 6". Total freedom for absorption and diffusion where needed on walls and ceiling.

Once the room is finished (need to do the carpet and insulation / sheetrock, build the bass traps), I'll probably start lurking the "available for immediate delivery" section. I came here because if I use subs I'll get them from Jim, own one of his already, and have heard some offerings, although not the Soundscape line. I like what I've heard very much, and since I'll be driving them with an AVA DAC and Pre, and likely a used AVA or Pass amp and the synergy between them is well documented, it's sort of a no-brainer.

I'm looking for the speakers I'll die with. I'm not an audiophile, I'm a music freak. Yes I want that (for-me) be-there sound, but I know what I'm after isn't some holy grail. I could live with a pair of Maggie 3.7s and the F-15s forever, and it's a strong pull, but the room is small and I like the punch of dynamic drivers too much. I'm hoping the SS line can give me both worlds.

But which way to go? I like the simplicity of full-range, but realize it might be easier to tame the bass response in the smallish room via multiple subs, good placement, and EQ.

So anyone running SS8s in a 1600 cu ft (or smaller) room with success? Anyone going the other direction for a dedicated 2.2 setup?

Edited to add: I'm going to go drool over the gallery now, then scour the audition list to see if anyone nearby would let me ear-ogle their Soundscapes.

ricardojoa

Re: SS8s or M7s and F-15s in 12 X 14 Dedicated Room . . .
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2015, 07:36 pm »
i think simplicity of course the SS8 are the way to go and you get the open back as well. But as an alternative, bookshelves with separate subs are nice. Of course you will probably need some good processing for your bass management.

CrazyBlue

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2015, 08:08 pm »
That's it right there; even an Anti-Mode would do wonders with subs, whereas with the big boys all I'll have is the room treatments. In a larger, more rectangular room I'd be more confident about that.

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2015, 11:59 pm »
I am not sure what your budget constraints are, but I had a similar question when I first talked to Jim about my room, and which speaker would work most effectively.

My room is 12x18, with extensive treatment, but no matter what speaker I put into the room, the bass was tough to get right. Jim thought the Exotica would actually be easier to integrate and place in my room. I am assuming because they are a sealed servo application, you don't have to worry as much about rear port placement, or side firing radiators being too close to the side walls.

I have found this to be pretty accurate. The Exotica 3s are giving me some terrific bass, best I have ever had in my room. Of course, it could probably be made better with a subwoofer swarm, but I am pretty happy right now.

Also, since you said yourself, you were more a fan of music, versus that of an audiophile, I would double recommend that Exoticas. They are just so damn musical, but full of detail. They will take some electronic considerations, meaning you will want equipment that is as neutral as possible, because too much warmth could take them the wrong way. But, they are amazing when everything is done right.

Either way with Salk I don't think you can go wrong. Best audio purchasing experience I ever had.  :thumb:

CrazyBlue

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2015, 02:17 am »
I'll hit the owner audition list for Exotica's too, though the SS8 is pretty much top of the budget. Used is an option, however, someone being likely to roll a pair over in the next year.