Sony AVR(STR DA5300es) protection mode on loud scenes with PWRD speakers?

Bear

So I recently purchased an OPPO BDP-105D, I am running by cable box to it via HDMI then analog audio outs on the oppo to "multi-channel" inputs on Sony then pre-outs to powered front stage LCR, the two surrounds are connected to the standard screw down terminals in the back.  I can repeat the protection mode by replaying a scene with a loud scene.

After the Sony flashes protection and then turns itself off, I turned it back on and lowered the oppo volume to 80% and decreased the volume on the Sony and it still goes into protection mode?  This just started happening.  I had previously played some loud multichannel music(Beck Sea Change Blu-Ray Audio) with-out issue.

I have not had time to disconnect the surrounds yet and begin to trouble shoot.

Anyone run into this issue before or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shane

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
I think I'd put an ohm meter on each speaker wire, one by one, and see if you melted a voice coil.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Disconnect the rear speakers at the AVR.

If it still happens, disconnect the LCR.

If it still happens...your unit has an internal fault (reset may fix).

Chances are your rears have a short somewhere.

Bear

Problem solved...I think, I am using a splitter on the sub output of the sony.  I have been changing some components around and the split ends may have been pushed together at some point, I separated them after I had another protection shutdown.  After an hour of netflix and a couple of tracks no issues.  So fingers crossed.

Thanks for the input guys, your suggestions led me to a quick resolution i think/hope...

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Good deal, thanks for the update.