10A Audition, Critics Circle

Steve

« on: 23 Sep 2004, 10:40 pm »
Check out Critics Circle/Audio Shootout at AudioJerry for 10A evaluations.

SAS Audio Labs 10A Preamplifier Audition

Any audiocircle members interested in auditioning the 10A preamplifier can contact me by PM, e-mail, or calling me direct. My e-mail and phone number is available at my website,

www.sasaudiolabs.com.

Thanks.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2004, 11:06 pm »
Question Steve,
    Looking at the
photo of the 10A I notice that you use two volume controls (left-right) and no balance control. What is your thinking on this ? Is it better than having just one volume control and a balance control ?  :) [/list:u]
    Thank you for offering the 10A for home auditions !! :) [/list:u]

Steve

Volume controls
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2004, 03:45 am »
Hi Lonewolf (hope you don't mind the shortened moniker),

When considering whether to use two volume controls or one volume control and one balance control, several things, not necessarily in order of importance, come to mind.

1) The number of resistive elements in each channel's signal path increases by one, and of course the number of solder connections increase.

2) The internal capacitance of each control (to ground) is fairly large. By having a balance control, we create another RC lowpass filter, the HF response varies with the settings of both controls.

3) Over a period of time, each channel of a single dual volume control loses its "match" with the other channel, thus the balance control needs adjusting every time the volume is changed, so no advantage over dual controls at this point.

Hope this answers your question Lonewolf.

Thanks.