Makeshift Amp/Component Stands -- Looking for ideas.

cjr888

Posted this over at Audiogon, but maybe I will get some responses here:

Ideas for makeshift non-commercial amp stands?

Hello,

I abandoned my audio rack some time ago. At one point, a room rearrangement dictated taking the system apart.. I became impatient after awhile while we decided what went where, and ended up temporarily hooking the system back up, with components sitting on the floor..

When I did this I was floored with the improvements in imaging and realism by not having the rack dead center on the front wall, even with my speakers pulled very far out from the front wall.

Ever since then, I've made rather crude little platforms to rest components safely on using extra MDF and various other gadgets -- some just to keep components directly off the floor, some with sandwiched combinations of materials and what not, etc...

Some nice commercial amp stands would be nice from a visual standpoint as well is for isolation, but at this point, for a handful of components, I'm not ready to spend the money that good single-component stands sell for....I'm looking to put that money towards other upgrades and room treatment.

Also, I live in an old home with hardwood floors that have quite a bit of bounce, best described as 'floating', and with some sections somewhat uneven.

What I'm looking to do is purchase or put together some makeshift amp/component stands that remain low to the ground, accomodate a single unit, and have a very considerable weight to them, to contend with the floors with bounce.

Anyone have any ideas, whether its using cheap furniture, products used for other uses but would work double duty, or relatively simply DIY? Truly looking for maximum weight possible in a low-height form factor.

I was tempted to build wooden amp stands and heavily, heavily fill the inside either with sand or concrete, or possibly look at a HomeDepot type place for huge rock slabs usually meant for a garden -- things of that nature.  

Or possibly take a slab of wood, say 5 feet long, and foot and a half deep, give it a sides with a few inch height, fill with sand, and cover with another piece of thick wood, and then sandwich another piece or two like this as a base for a heavy base seperated by spikes (imagine a very thick door turned on its side, but able to be filled with sand), as a low profile, very heavy equipment stand, where the components sit horizontally rather than vertical.  Kind of like a very heavy coffee table for people 1 foot tall.  :-)

Any idea for makeshift non-commercial amp/single-component stands with _significant_ weight, that remain low to the ground much appreciated.

JohnR

« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2002, 03:38 pm »
I'm using some hefty cutting boards from IKEA, over 2 1/2" thick, and 22 x 15 1/2, for 25 bucks. But it sounds like you want something a little weightier... I have read that you can get granite machinists slabs fairly cheap, $50 for over a hundred pound slab delivered...

JohnR

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2002, 07:19 pm »
Hah!

I did the same thing last weekend!

I dismantled my rack as well.  It is startling how much energy that thing stands in the way of.  Right now, I am using some boards from an old Michael Green Deluxe Justarack for stands.  I have Audiopoints under them hooked to some 3/4" threaded rod about 45 inches tall.  

I am glad I did that!  IT makes a nice difference.  I have been wanting to put my rack in the closet to stop some of these airborne acoustic vibrations, but it would require an INVESTMENT in speaker cable. . heh

B

LordCloud

Home Depot to the rescue..
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2003, 10:48 pm »
Hi,

I have some homemade component stands that I made for so little money it's almost illegal, and in my system they work absolutely perfectly.  For each component, I have two 16 by 16 two inch thick patio stones with 5 blobs of Blutack inbetween the two. Three brass cones support that.  On top of the patio stones, the component sits on a two inch thick 12 by 12 slab of wood that is supported by 4 large Bright Star Audio Iso Nodes.  Everything besides the Blu Tack(or equivalent) and the Iso Nodes can be purchased at Home Depot for a very small amount of money.  Everything is system dependant, but this works absolute wonders for me.

Henri