Countdown begins!

Mountainjoe

• President & CEO Eigen Audio Dealer
    • Eigen Audio
Countdown begins!
« on: 6 Mar 2015, 11:31 pm »
After a few minor delays, I just got confirmation today that my VR55s are shipping and due to arrive next Wednesday!  :thumb:

And yes, this is a pointless post but I had to share my excitement as I've been waiting for several months to get these babies :D

On top of the long wait for the VR55s, I sold off my old pair of (upgraded) VR44s back in early December so have not been able to listen to any music since then - making my anticipation of getting these speakers even greater - if that's possible  :roll:

In the meantime, to keep myself busy (and distracted) I've been making a series of tweaks to my system while waiting for my new speakers and so I'm also looking forward to seeing (or rather hearing) the results of these with the VR55s - will report and post photos next week once they arrive.

Has anyone else gotten their hands on a pair of VR55s? Would be interested in other folks' experience with these speakers.

Cheers, Joe

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
Re: Countdown begins!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2015, 11:46 pm »
Congrats Joe!!!  I am so excited for you!  I made my final paint selection this week and I'm looking to use Ultra internal, IC's and bi-wire spkr cables.  I've been using my Uni 2's (putting up for sale) and I'm continually amazed how full-body these stand mounted spks are!  I too have have made a few upgrades to my system incl software updates to my Memory Player dig source.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your first VR 55 impressions and beyond!

Jack

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2015, 11:58 pm »
I made my final paint selection this week and I'm looking to use Ultra internal, IC's and bi-wire spkr cables.

Jack

Thanks Jack! By your above comment, do you mean you your speakers are being built with Ultra internal wiring? If so, that's really cool! I remember reading that Albert uses M-B cables for internal wiring but I believe that was referring to the Signature series - is that your understanding?

Joe

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2015, 03:34 am »
Hello Fellow Audiophiles,

We use the Delphi "Master-Built" Signature Single Crystal copper wiring inside our standard models.  At the request of several customers who didn't blink when quoted the higher cost of the ULTRA, we have built 3 pairs with this wire on the inside of the speakers.  It is really expensive, but I might say that it's less expensive than Nordost Valhalla, which we installed in one customers VR-9SE Mk2's at his request.

The ULTRA wire is powered rare earth metals mixed together and then melted and cast into a Single Crystal mono filament.  It is essentially a compound designed to transmit a signal with less loss; it has a lower level of resistance to the signal.  This enables ULTRA to reproduce very low level detail that other cables mask.

Email or call us for a quote if you're thinking of buying a pair of our speakers.  Delphi also makes interconnects and speaker cables from this material.  We have over 30 customers using ULTRA at this point and they all swear by it.  If you've been reading The Absolute Sound magazine, you'll see that we won a Best Sound Of The Show Award from Robert Harley in June at the Newport Show when playing our VR-100XS, and just last October, Spencer Holbert of The Absolute Sound gave our VR-55 Aktive the same award:  Best Sound Of The Show.

These systems had one thing in common: Delphi Aerospace Master-Built Signature cables and ULTRA inter connects.  These cables have become part of our "sound."

Happy Listening,

Albert Von Schweikert

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2015, 03:29 pm »
Looks like shipping may be delayed a couple of days - should arrive this Friday now.

I'll use this thread to relay my experiences with this speaker - I plan to spend a lot of time with them this weekend  :green:

Good news is due to additional time at the factory, these speakers have lots of hours of break-in and should sound great when they arrive  :D Albert has mentioned these speakers do seem to require > 500 hours of break-in to achieve their best sound so I'm glad most of these hours have already been put in at the factory - this will save my tubes some wear and tear  :thumb:

Also plan to order a pair of the Ultra speaker cables but these will take a month or so to get my hands on - will use my existing cables for initial impressions.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2015, 06:04 pm »
Way to go, Joe.  Keep us posted.  Plus, I'd be interested to know- and I'm prolly not alone- specifics about your room and set-up.  Post some photos and specs??  Thanks.

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2015, 08:44 pm »
Way to go, Joe.  Keep us posted.  Plus, I'd be interested to know- and I'm prolly not alone- specifics about your room and set-up.  Post some photos and specs??  Thanks.

Hi Jim - my system consists of the following:

Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT with Triplanar MK VII tonearm and Koetsu Urushi Black cart.
Luxman DA-06 DAC connected to an Auralic Aries (w/linear PSU option) over USB (using Furutech GT2-Pro USB cable)
Zesto Andros PS1 phono stage (currently using Mullard long plate 12AX7 tubes, but have several varieties of 12AX7's I've been trying out)
VTL TL6.5 pre-amp (using Amperex 7316 12AU7 NOS tubes)
VTL MB450III monoblocks

The pre-amp and phono stage sit on Stillpoint Ultra minis (3 each) and the TT sits on a set of Magico QPods (3)

I have a set of Stillpoint Ultra SS feet for the VR55s - these are using the large Ultra Base - will post photos of these.

ICs are Darwin Ascension Plus for the phono (RCA) and amp (XLR) interconnects. I'm also using a set of Harmonic Technology RCA ICs for the DAC but plan to upgrade to XLRs soon.

Speaker cables are Audio Art SC-5 SE but as mentioned will be moving to the M-B Ultras in 4-5 weeks.

On the power conditioning front, I'm using two PS Audio PS10 units with a combination of Audio Art Statement 1 power cords and Kubala Sosna Emotion. Each PS10 will be feeding one MB450III and one of the built-in bass amps on the VR55s. Also have a pair of Kubala Sosna Emotion cords for the built-in amps on the VR55s.  Lastly, I recently installed Furutech GTX-D AC outlets and they are really nice, mechanically speaking.

Much of the power stuff are recent additions that I haven't had a chance to listen to as it was all acquired after I sold off my last set of speakers.

For room treatment, using Shakti Hallographs - these make a noticeable improvement in clarity, image focus, and soundstage.

Will post some photos of my setup later tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers, Joe

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2015, 01:28 am »
Very impressive, Joe.  I wanna see your room so don't forget to post pics.  Thanks.

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2015, 05:04 am »
Here are some shots of my setup - sans speakers  :x

VTL monoblock and Stillpoint feet and Kubala Sosna power cord waiting for speakers to arrive  :lol:

You can also see the two PS10's - one in the cabinet and one in the open middle section:

My MapleShade rack with TT, pre-amp, and phono stage:

And a view of the room - the location of the Hallographs as I last had them adjusted to work with my VR44s:

The distance from the plasma to my sitting location is about 11 feet to give you some sense of scale of the room.

Cheers, Joe

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2015, 05:30 am »
K-S Emotions just for the bass amps? You don't fool around!

It's official boys, I love this guy!  :green:

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2015, 01:45 pm »
K-S Emotions just for the bass amps? You don't fool around!

It's official boys, I love this guy!  :green:

lol - got a really good deal on three of these cords from a guy on Audiogon - couldn't pass them up :thumb:

gammajo

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2015, 02:45 am »
Think the standard 55's are using different length spikes for front and rear to set the proper rake angle for the speaker. Will be interested how the Stillpoints work for you. I am planning to start with Herbie's Gliders under the stock spikes and considering CMS points after hearing they work great on the VR5's. Also would love to hear if you compare the standard PC's with the ones you are planning on the bass amps.
My 55's are still waiting cabinets so I am a few weeks behind you. I am using a friends pair of AR3as as loaner speakers, so at the moment have a real 70's type sound - interesting!

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2015, 03:25 am »
I am using a friends pair of AR3as as loaner speakers, so at the moment have a real 70's type sound - interesting!

And Look!!!

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2015, 04:28 am »
Think the standard 55's are using different length spikes for front and rear to set the proper rake angle for the speaker. Will be interested how the Stillpoints work for you. I am planning to start with Herbie's Gliders under the stock spikes and considering CMS points after hearing they work great on the VR5's. Also would love to hear if you compare the standard PC's with the ones you are planning on the bass amps.
My 55's are still waiting cabinets so I am a few weeks behind you. I am using a friends pair of AR3as as loaner speakers, so at the moment have a real 70's type sound - interesting!

Cool looking speakers - reminds me of the first pair I ever bought! I definitely plan to try with and without the PCs and also w/wo the PS10 sourcing the bass amps.

In regards to the rake on the speakers, I was thinking that I should have enough adjustability on the Stillpoints but if not, I will use some oak blocks I have to shim up one end...

gammajo

« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2015, 02:04 am »
Mt - You may have said, but please repeat what finish you chose for your 55's. I would love to see pictures with grills as soon as you set up - I am dying to see what they look like with grills on (the grills are bigger than for the 44s.
Also any tips you find useful in unpacking this babies without strain would be appreciated. For example, when I first got my VR5 Anniv MK2s with the heavy tri-cabinets, I dead-lifted them straight out of the top of the box. That was tough. When I packed them up for resale, I found it worked very well to gently lay the shipping cartoon on its side, lay the speaker on its side next to it and slide the speakers into the box - that worked like a charm.
Thanks
Joe

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2015, 02:54 pm »
I found it worked very well to gently lay the shipping cartoon on its side, lay the speaker on its side next to it and slide the speakers into the box - that worked like a charm.
Thanks
Joe

This is what I was planning to do (in reverse) - lay the crates on their side. My living room is down one step from the entryway where the speakers will sit when they are delivered so I'm planning to tip the crates into the living area so there's a downward angle. I'm hoping this will help get them out more easily and it will also solve the problem of getting them down into the lower area.

The speakers are piano black and I will take photos of the crates and speakers with and without the grills. I'm Curious as well to see what they look like with the grills on.

gammajo

« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2015, 03:22 pm »
Mt - Thanks for volunteering to take pics. When the Egyptians built the pyramids they created a lake and floated the stones in place - guess that would not work well in our living rooms :lol:

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2015, 10:17 pm »
Mt - Thanks for volunteering to take pics. When the Egyptians built the pyramids they created a lake and floated the stones in place - guess that would not work well in our living rooms :lol:

Well I'm sure that would endear me to my wife even more than the pile of audio gear I've put in our living room already has  :nono:

Mountainjoe

• Eigen Audio
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2015, 05:17 am »
Got home early tonight to uncrate the speakers - I won't go into detail just now but got them setup in short order and played a few albums. Mind you I did't spend much time adjusting the speakers - just put them where I thought they should go and toed them in by eye.

Got out a copy of Fleetwood Mac's Mystery to Me LP - because who better to inaugurate a new set of speakers than Peter Green?  :thumb: - put it on the platter, spun it up, laid down the needle,... and all I can say is "wow, just wow."  :o

By the time we got to "Hypnotized" (one of my all time favorites), I was  :lol:

More details and photos tomorrow!

gammajo

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2015, 09:29 am »
Mt - Congratulations! Your bad boys have arrived safe, I am very excited for you - might just have to fly in to hear them before mine arrive :green: :lol: