Re-wiring Speakers

jcoat007

Re-wiring Speakers
« on: 21 Feb 2003, 03:11 pm »
I have some Infinity RSIIIa speakers.  See my gallery photo here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?set_albumName=jcoat007&id=DSC00044&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I am interested in re-wiring both speakers and changing out the old style black and red clips for some modern binding posts.  

Any suggestions on internal wire?

markC

Re-wiring Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2003, 03:46 pm »
I used kimber
4pr. Realatively inexpensive and it's got to be better than plain 16g multi-strand I think. At any rate a decent quality speaker cable is the general idea. If using single wires rather than a twisted affair like kimber, go with a heavy gauge for the woofs/mids and a lighter gauge for the tweets. Something like 10g or 12g and 14g or 16g respectively. Don't take this as gospel, just as my recommendation.

KevinW

Jena Ultra Wire
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2003, 09:32 pm »
Jcoat,
How much do you want to spend?  Jena Ultrawire is as good as it gets for hookup wire.  Ultra-pure copper, cryogenically treated, and a very good insulation with that is equivalent to teflon in sound quality, but much easier to work with. However it costs $4', which might be overkill for some projects.  

I've used it in all of my recent projects, and love the sound.  Very detailed, musical, and with no loss in the frequency extremes.

And hey, what do you know... now I sell it.  So take my message with a grain of salt  :wink:
Cheers,

Kevin Whilden
Solar Hifi

Carlman

Re-wiring Speakers
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2003, 10:01 pm »
I used some Kimber cable that was a quad-wire design.  Each pair has 2 sets of leads that are meant to be twisted together.  (2 white and 2 yellow).  Each wire is the same overall gauge but, the braided wire inside is different.  One is fine and one is coarse.  

I used both together from terminal to crossover... and the coarse grain for the bass driver and the fine grain for the tweeter.  It worked very well and I was happy with the results.  I used the same wire from the amp to the speaker.  That system wasn't very revealing so, I was happy that I could hear a difference.  Adding sheets of anti-resonance stuff helped even more, though.  (my speakers were like knocking on a pipe)

Hope this helps... I can get the exact name of the cable if you need it... just email me.

ABEX

Re-wiring Speakers
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2003, 02:30 am »
I am in the middle of the same Dilemma.I just recieved a set of Cryo'd IC's and a Cryo'd Digital Cable.I have the same sets untreated and early impressions are positive.

The cable I use is 47Labs OTA Cable which is pricey,but it has it's advantages like being comparable to Kimber top cables.In fact the OTA was treated at Ray Kimber facility in UT.

I will be sending some to my speaker designer for him to eval it's merits before wiring my new set of NEAR M50's.If he feels that it is worthy of being used for the internal wiring then it's a go.

By all means use the Cryo treated cable if you can afford it.If it were me though I would choose what wire I would use ,buy a spool or the length needed and send it off to be treated yourself to save $$($20 for the treatment).I am a miser at audio tweeks.Taken some slack from those who can afford to buy ultra tweeks on the BB's.

Modified B&K's are good affordable amps that come highly recommended.They outdo stock Adcoms and Rotels for sure.I think it might be beneficial to get stuff like Monarchy and Aragon though.

Happy Tweeking!

Hantra

Re-wiring Speakers
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2003, 03:13 am »
I just modded out a friend's speakers with the 47 Labs, and he loves the result.  The 47 Labs is a very fast cable, and in my experience, it beat out any other cable I have tried.  The closest to it was the KKSV-1, but it wasn't as fast and clear.

B

ABEX

Re-wiring Speakers
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2003, 03:19 am »
Well that is great to hear!

I agree with the opinion of it being fast also.I had really just noticed how fast recently.

Try having some cryo'd.It has better reveling quality's after.Brings out things in recordings I did not know were there!All dimensions improved after.

I am evaling IC's to see what the diff is and only after a few hours I knew I had something.

I think Cryo treatment might make Belden cables on par with higher expense cables.Will be trying some later after my speaker's are finished.

Thx

Hantra

Re-wiring Speakers
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2003, 03:21 am »
I may cryo mine, but I may try the Audience cables also, and that may negate the need to cryo.

Does cryo take any of the organicness away?

B

ABEX

Re-wiring Speakers
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2003, 03:25 am »
Organicness?

What I think it does is burn off any impurities away and tightens the spaceing or air that is in between the conductor.

My theory was that it is the way that the electrons bounce withn a conductor that makes the difference in cables.With the tightening of the copper structure it allows for the electrons to pass through more freely.

Atleast that is my theory.

ABEX

Re-wiring Speakers
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2003, 03:28 am »
BTW --The cryo treatment is the proof of my theory I think.Me and someone else who initially shot that down is now a believer.If you research the magnified images of before and after the treatment you would see what I mean.The structure looks more uniform.