Super 7 Monitor MK2 Impressions

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Super 7 Monitor MK2 Impressions
« on: 23 Feb 2015, 10:37 pm »
I've played the Super 7s on solid state and tubes and they are incredible on both.

The solid state front end was: Cardas Clear USB, Resonessence Labs Herus+, Decware Silver Reference interconnect, Firestone Big Joe V1.3 class A/B gainclone amp, and basic Monster 16ga speaker wire.  I wanted to put the most economical gear I had in front to see how it would work.  With level 1 finish speakers, this system sans stands and audio rack/cabinet comes to less than $2000 USD.  Previous to my converting to Omega, I haven't heard a $5000 system sound better than this.  Gateway drug.

The tube front end was: Cardas Clear USB, Resonessence Labs Concero HD, Decware Silver Reference interconnect, Decware Super Zen Select with V-Caps, stepped attenuator and 4 ohm OPT, and basic 16ga Monster speaker wire.  This front end took the speakers up 5 rungs.  Image depth and width, image focus, speed, fluidity, warmth, detail, all around weight, depth of bass, etc, etc, were all improved considerably.  Lastly, I want to mention the tightness and quickness of the bass - no flab here.  SETs have gotten a bum rap from people attempting to pair them with heavy drivers, saying they make flabby bass.  This is simply not my finding with Omega speakers and their lightweight drivers.

Music was a mix of 16/44 and 24/96 played on iTunes and Pure Music, and the Super 7 Monitors played anything I threw at them and could go loud on either amp without a hint of distortion.  These speakers are very fast and tight, and have top end like there was a tweeter in the mix.
Punch and dynamics are amazing, and vocals are full and real.  Complex music is no issue - I tried all kinds of music and the speakers never got flummoxed with any of it.  They still have low time on them, so they will only improve from here.

The pictures (due to lens distortion) show the speakers closer to walls and corners than they really are.

seikosha

Re: Super 7 Monitor MK2 Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2015, 11:37 am »
Thanks Canada Rob,

Since you may be the only person outside of Louis who has examples of all three Omega drivers in your house, it'd be great if you could compare and contrast the sound of them in the same systems and rooms.  If you have the time, your thoughts would be very appreciated.

beowulf

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2015, 08:59 pm »
Thanks Canada Rob,

Since you may be the only person outside of Louis who has examples of all three Omega drivers in your house, it'd be great if you could compare and contrast the sound of them in the same systems and rooms.  If you have the time, your thoughts would be very appreciated.

+1 and would love to hear about the new 8" driver as well!
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2015, 06:33 am by beowulf »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2015, 02:00 am »
I'll try to do an unlocked sticky in the next few days so the info won't get lost in a thread.