Dang, winter has hit us now.

Danny Richie

Dang, winter has hit us now.
« on: 23 Feb 2015, 03:56 pm »
We have had it really mild until now.

It rained all yesterday then the temperature dropped freezing it on all the roads. And now we just got a layer of snow dumped on it.

Snow is one thing, but with a layer of ice under it that makes it pretty bad. I bet UPS trucks will not be running today. So outgoing orders might be a day or so behind. And it's 21 degrees out right now with a projected high of 31 degrees.

At least for us this stuff usually doesn't last long. Tomorrow we are supposed to get back up to 47 degrees. Then back up into the 70's by the weekend.

jimbones

Re: Dang, winter has hit us now.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2015, 04:15 pm »
ha ha ha 21 cold? Lol. Thats the warmest day we've had!!

Stuart

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2015, 04:19 pm »
32 Deg C here just south of Johannesburg.
Lots of warm love from Stu :D

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2015, 04:33 pm »
Its weird this year, up here in northern Canada its pretty dang nice right now....30F with a high of 34F
We wont hit the 70s till June or so.....lol

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2015, 05:07 pm »
If only it were just the cold....

It's the layer of ice on the roads that gets us. And down here we don't have the snow clearing equipment and things like you guys up North have. We're pretty limited across the board in that regard.

Then on top of all of that we have a ton of people that don't know how to drive on it. The ditches will be full of cars...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2015, 05:12 pm »
Well Danny it looks like the weather gives you some time to create another masterpiece, oh my !!!

charles

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2015, 05:25 pm »
We may get some ice down here in Austin.  It's 32 now and that's supposed to be the high today.  I absolutely HATE cold weather - below 60 is way too cold for me.  However, when I feel bad about it, I flip my phone display to headquarters - St. Paul, MN - and I see it's now ZERO degrees there, and then I smile.

sandbagger

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2015, 06:22 pm »
it was -7F when I left the house for work this morning

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2015, 08:07 pm »
Yep, UPS just called. They are not picking up today.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2015, 08:29 pm »
This is us...

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2015, 09:39 pm »
32 Deg C here just south of Johannesburg.
Lots of warm love from Stu :D

Way to rub it in, Stu.....:)

BTW, most of us don't do XX°C, so you'll have to convert that to °F.........again :)

It was only -11°F. here, this morning, up to 22°F now

Wayner

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2015, 09:42 pm »
BTW, most of us don't do XX°C, so you'll have to convert that to °F.........again :)
You can multiply by 2 and then add 30 for a quick reference.  Otherwise, multiply by 1.8 and add 32 for exact. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2015, 09:44 pm »
If only it were just the cold....

It's the layer of ice on the roads that gets us. And down here we don't have the snow clearing equipment and things like you guys up North have. We're pretty limited across the board in that regard.

Then on top of all of that we have a ton of people that don't know how to drive on it. The ditches will be full of cars...

It's not just the lack of experience - lack of proper tires and AWD also make it very difficult even for experienced drivers.  Most people around here (Denver) get all weather or snow tires rotated on in the fall and off in the spring.  I will say this, it's my first real winter with the Acura MDX and it's a trooper - it just powers through where Jeeps and other SUVs are sliding everywhere.  It is in no way a "work" vehicle, it's a luxury vehicle.  But its nice to know it won't leave me stranded in the ditch somewhere.

bdp24

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2015, 09:47 pm »
It's a bracing 65 degrees here in Palm Desert. Girls run around in shorts all "Winter". Of course, we then have 115-120 degree Summers. Pick your poison!

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2015, 09:53 pm »
My Ford F-150 4X4 truck can also plow through just about anything.........

tcj

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2015, 11:50 pm »
Well this morning was -22 degrees and right now it is a balmy 2.  Ice truly does suck on the roads and especially ice storms downing power lines.  Here in Northern Wisconsin, many times it can be too cold to snow unless you are by Lake Superior.  Wind chill this past week has been -40 a couple of days.  In January, most of the month we were never above 0.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2015, 01:04 am »
My Ford F-150 4X4 truck can also plow through just about anything.........

Same for my 4X4 Tundra with a bed full of cinder blocks. Came in handy today here in the Tulsa area.  Teens to low 20sF and snow all day.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2015, 02:25 am »
Same for my 4X4 Tundra with a bed full of cinder blocks. Came in handy today here in the Tulsa area.  Teens to low 20sF and snow all day.
I was in Tulsa last Fri.  Thank goodness I got out before that hit and got back to Abilene where it's teens to low 20's with snow and iced roads..... no, wait  :scratch:

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2015, 02:50 am »
Man, wish  you guys could send the  cold up our way,  I think this   has been the warmest winter  here in my  lifetime . 
Actually started taking the pond (rink) down  this past weekend, got a whopping  5 days of skating this   year,  brutal.
Can see how   the cold  for you guys way down  soundth would  cause  major  havoc

BTW, C to F =  x9/5+32

-jay

Guy 13

« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2015, 03:42 am »
Man, wish  you guys could send the  cold up our way,  I think this   has been the warmest winter  here in my  lifetime . 
Actually started taking the pond (rink) down  this past weekend, got a whopping  5 days of skating this   year,  brutal.
Can see how   the cold  for you guys way down  soundth would  cause  major  havoc

BTW, C to F =  x9/5+32

-jay

Hi Jay,
your C to F conversion is the best and most accurate way to do the conversion,
if you don't have a C/F dual scale thermometer, of course.
Speaking of cold, please don't count on planet Vietnam to send you some of that cold stuff,
don't have any of it here.
Tomorrow the weather man says:
36C so according to your (Magic) formula:
36 X 9 (324) divided by 5 (64.8) + 32 = 96.8F
and we still are not in May,
the hottest and most humid month of the year.
Well, soon (End of April) I will be back in North Pole or Montreal, the same.
The same for me, because after 20 years at an average temperature of 30C/86F
almost all year round, my old carcass is use the that temperature,
therefore, my body will have to get use to cooler temperature, might take a year or so,
but since I will be arriving in May, the transition won't be too brutal.
By the way, for me 20C/66F is cold...

Guy 13 on planet Vietnam or in hell,
about the same these days.
(Not complaining, just stating the reality and the facts...)