VR-55 speaker grills?

htradtk

VR-55 speaker grills?
« on: 22 Feb 2015, 01:25 am »
Greetings,

Just wondering if the VR-55 come with grills? Notice on many pictures that I see no holes if front on the cabinet. Thanks in advance! Henry

gammajo

Re: VR-55 speaker grills?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2015, 03:51 am »
Best I know the first sets of grills are being made now. I have a pair of 55's and they will come with grills, using magnets to attach rather than holes. Can I think you can the the grill cloth in various colors, for example chocolate cloth to go with speakers colors such as macadamia but or red. Mine will be black to go with the Steinway Black finish. Wife would not even consider without grills

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2015, 06:46 am »
As far as I know, Thiele/Accuton drivers come with their own protective grills. I'm not sure what AVS and the gang did for the new tweeter.

gammajo

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2015, 02:16 pm »
Again, just my impression check with VSA but I think that the drivers are each protected by a metal basket that always stays on even with grills off. Then the grills will be 3/4 inch deep versus the usual 1/2 inch, and will follow the taper of the speaker so that the line of the speaker is continued. Should look good. 

htradtk

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2015, 03:02 pm »
Thanks guys!

Those speakers are beautiful with or without grills! Very tempting to get a pair! Just wondering what I could get on a trade of my VR-5 Anniversary MKII's which are in mint condition. I also have the signature Masterbuilt speaker cable. Would like to get an Ultra pair as well! Thinking! :drool

Henry

kernelbob

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2015, 04:40 pm »
I got the set of black grills for my VR100 towers (high gloss piano black).  Personally, I find the naked array of seven drivers per side to be visually distracting from the acoustic image.  I also like whatever added protection the grill covers provide.  It's amazing how some folks think nothing of wanting to find out how the drivers feel and having the grills on removes that temptation.

For the most obsessive critical listening, the central MTM grill cover can be removed to get that last bit of air in the treble, leaving the woofer covers on.  Otherwise, I leave the full set on and give the front treble control a one click increase.

Sometime I'd like to see if a more acoustically transparent grill cover (sans frame) could be designed for the MTM section.  Not a priority, since I am very much a happy VR100XS camper.

Robert

gammajo

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2015, 04:52 pm »
Henry
Deal for mine in progress will pm you on price

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2015, 04:26 pm »
Hello Fellow Audiophiles,

The VR-55 speaker system comes with a removable front grill that covers the entire front baffle.  It is held in place by magnets.  Although the raw drivers are covered with a very fine steel mesh to protect the thin foil of ceramic and Kevlar, wives would not appreciate the "naked" appearance of the drivers.  Although I believe they look very beautiful, the drivers are somewhat distracting to the overall appearance of the speaker.

The grill cloth is specially woven and does not reduce the high frequency response by more than 1/2 dB.  It is available in black, dark brown, or dark blue.

By the way, we are going to be running a full page advertisement in The Absolute Sound, showing me and the speaker.  We used a photo without the front grill, as most potential customers want to see what's behind the front grill.  It is an interesting and unusual ad, inspired by 007.

I look forward to your response to the ad!

Happy Listening,

AVS

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2015, 11:32 am »
What did Linda have to say about it Albert?  :lol:

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2015, 08:32 pm »
Daniel Craig is a great 007, but I'm more like the (aging) Sean Connery type.  You'll all see the ad in the May/June issue which appears on March 31.  I'm in a tux in our new VR-55 ad; the bathing suit is for the young guys like you, Jack!

Cheers,

Albert
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2015, 11:52 pm by Albert Von Schweikert »

JackD201

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2015, 11:11 pm »
 :thumb:

I'll be in LA in May Albert. Let's catch up over there. The 111s will probably be in transit by that time though right?

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2015, 11:54 pm »
Hi Jack,

We're three weeks away from crating and shipping the VR-111XS.  It took several months for the custom caps and inductors to be made.  The crossover cabinets are the size of small refrigerators!

See you in May!

AVS

JackD201

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:45 am »
Awesome! I'm really itching to get the 11 Mk2s in my room. By the time the 11s get here they will have new playmates  :D

The 11s will be driven by CH Precision gear. The amps will be the M1 monos. I'll play around and see if I'll use them internal bi-amp where I can tailor the feedback and gain of the MTs and Bass modules independently or go the brute force route and use them bridged. It will be fun to see what can be done with chameleon speakers and chameleon amps. Should be fun!

See you in May!

Holli82

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2015, 05:00 am »
:thumb:

I'll be in LA in May Albert. Let's catch up over there. The 111s will probably be in transit by that time though right?

Jack

I want to play with you and Albert too.

Please???

Pretty please??? :wink:

JackD201

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2015, 11:02 am »
Drive over Rodney!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

htradtk

« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2015, 09:57 pm »
How about a Von Schweikert cruise to the Philipines!

JackD201

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:00 am »
I would LOVE that!!!!!!!! As our slogan goes, "It's More Fun in the Philippines"   :lol: :lol: :lol:

htradtk

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2015, 07:28 pm »
Jack,

Would love to visit and hear your amazing system!

JackD201

« Reply #18 on: 20 Mar 2015, 10:07 am »
You will all be welcome always Henry  :thumb:

gammajo

« Reply #19 on: 20 Mar 2015, 01:11 pm »
Jack
I might just have to respectfully crash that party. I got to see and touch your speakers when I was at VSA last month. They have an awesome presence, much like the monolith in the Movie, 2001. In fact, if they were mine I might just play that Movie theme as my first piece to welcome them into my home - hint, hint  :icon_lol: