Wooden 1d diffusers - front wall

andycsb

Wooden 1d diffusers - front wall
« on: 20 Feb 2015, 11:48 am »
Hi Guys. Anyone using 1d diffusers along the front wall...ie...2 x 2' by 4' panels placed side by side...center of front wall. Have corner bass traps in each corner (front wall only). Side walls 1st and 2nd reflection points treated with absorption. Room is a bedroom...10' by 16'...speakers along the short wall. Back wall is a wardrobe, so  I can't treat with either absorption or diffusion.

My speakers are dynamic floorstanders.

Question is...in theory, would it give me a more open sound? How would it affect focus of image? Front wall has actually side to side glass windows with thin drapes.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rodge827

Re: Wooden 1d diffusers - front wall
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2015, 01:31 pm »
It wouldn't hurt, I have a room similar in size to you and have absorption between the speakers as well as the back wall and first reflection points. 
Perhaps using some diffusion behind you is a good idea. You said you have a wardrobe, but you could stand mount some diffusion and move it into place accordingly?

Something similar to this but without the absorption on the back side:

jriggy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2015, 03:13 pm »
"Front wall" = wall behind the speakers.  Just making sure you are both talking about the same wall.

andycsb

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2015, 03:21 pm »
Yes..."front wall" to me is wall behind speakers (windows with thin drapes). Thinking of getting 2 panels of D1 diffusers for center space along the front wall.

SteveRB

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2015, 09:08 pm »
I remember hearing an expert pose the question: why are front wall diffusors so popular, the signal from the speakers has already bounced past the listener at least twice before hitting the diffusion panels...

Makes sense. But then again they are cool to look at too.

Carl V

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2015, 02:41 am »
I remember hearing an expert pose the question: why are front wall diffusors so popular, the signal from the speakers has already bounced past the listener at least twice before hitting the diffusion panels...

Makes sense. But then again they are cool to look at too.
Mostly agree with this.
Perceptions & preferences often prevail.

However, if you look at charts & diagrams,
Polar response plots etc., the front wall in between
the speakers is not the primary early reflection point.
Deal with the side walls, the ceiling and that wall behind you.
Diffusion back there might be more beneficial. imho, ymmv, yadda

rodge827

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2015, 04:10 am »
Mostly agree with this.
Perceptions & preferences often prevail.

However, if you look at charts & diagrams,
Polar response plots etc., the front wall in between
the speakers is not the primary early reflection point.
Deal with the side walls, the ceiling and that wall behind you.
Diffusion back there might be more beneficial. imho, ymmv, yadda

Agree! :D

I have also read that due to how a diffuser reflects sound that the ideal distance a listener and speaker should be about 3 or more feet away. Otherwise the reflected/diffused frequencies will have a negative effect. Basically keep the speakers and your listening position 3+ feet away from a diffuser. 

jk@home

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2015, 01:07 pm »
Hi Guys. Anyone using 1d diffusers along the front wall...ie...2 x 2' by 4' panels placed side by side...center of front wall. Have corner bass traps in each corner (front wall only). Side walls 1st and 2nd reflection points treated with absorption. Room is a bedroom...10' by 16'...speakers along the short wall. Back wall is a wardrobe, so  I can't treat with either absorption or diffusion.

My speakers are dynamic floorstanders.

Question is...in theory, would it give me a more open sound? How would it affect focus of image? Front wall has actually side to side glass windows with thin drapes.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I use foam QRD 1d diffusers, installed in wood box frames, on the front wall, originally for dipole speakers I had. Made a big improvement in the sound. Switched to monopole speakers but left the diffusers there, do feel they still add to the sound stage depth. They are placed in the mirror image locations behind the speakers (seen at the listening chair).

With the dipoles, I also had an "inverted" QRD in the center of the wall. But it didn't help as much with the new speakers, so went with an absorber. Too much diffusion in a small room will sound neat at first, but might cause listening fatigue eventually.

You could first buy some inexpensive foam units to try, then either upgrade to wood ones or not, and use the foam diffusers up on the ceiling.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=128954.20

andycsb

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2015, 11:59 am »
Thank again everyone. Really appreciate your input.