Fuji X-T1

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Fuji X-T1
« on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:23 am »
Does anyone here own one?  I went looking to replace my Nikon D40X body thinking I'd move up to like a D7100. After much looking and speaking with the sales guy he brought me to the Fuji.  WOW.  It not only is about half the weight but also 1/3 smaller but with more features and better quality. 

I'm curious to hear feedback if anyone owns the Fuji. 

Maritan

Re: Fuji X-T1
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2015, 02:56 pm »
Depends on what you're looking to shoot with it. A while back I was considering the X-T1 and the Olympus OM-D E-M1. I owned a Fuji X100 at that point. I made a decision based on what was important to me.

What's your flavour? Kids? Landscape? Birds? Dogs? Hiking/ backpacking with it? Weatherproofing important? Do you shoot RAW or JPG?

rave959

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2015, 03:02 pm »
If I didn't own the X100s, I'd probably buy the XT-1.  Just like what Maritan said, you have to know what's important to you and decide from there.  The X100s is excellent for people photos with the best fill-in flash I've seen.  My gf is a photographer and for gatherings, we bring my X100s instead of her 5DMK3.  It's smaller, just like the XT-1, has enough resolution, and not too shabby in low-light.  Not to mention the built-in f/2 lens.  The sensor is essentially the same for XT-1 and Fuji's lenses are great.  And since you're looking to buy APS-C sensors, the Fujis are up there.  Just my .02 cents.

Ian

lowtech

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:05 pm »
If you can live without it being DSLR, not having a built-in flash, no image-stabilization, very few interchangeable lenses and sub-par viewfinder - yes, it's a great choice.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Fujifilm-X-T1-vs-Pentax-K-3

Maybe do some research on the camera forums?   :scratch:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D7100-vs-Pentax-K-3

Maritan

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:16 pm »
If you can live without it being DSLR, not having a built-in flash, no image-stabilization, very few interchangeable lenses and sub-par viewfinder - yes, it's a great choice.

What do you mean by sub-par viewfinder? Could you explain why you feel that?

lowtech

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2015, 04:26 am »
Seems to be a recurring criticism.  YMMV.  http://bit.ly/1AZzrie

lowtech

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2015, 04:29 am »
deleted.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2015, 05:33 am »
lowtech has a point in that it's important to consider the lenses as well. However, since you can get an adapter for almost every lens system ever, it's hardly true that there are very few lenses. To use "legacy" lenses though, you have to be manual focus fan... ;) I use my Nikon 85mm PC on an X-M1 regularly, and my Nikon 300 f/4 rather less often.

The native lens lineup is below. Currently at 16 with a few more coming out. Only you can decide if a subset of those will meet your needs. My general impression (although I haven't checked lately) is that the pricing is better than equivalent lenses from DSLR makers. I've been surprised by the quality of the "kit" 16-50mm lens, and more recently have been learning to use the 14mm. It's shaping up nicely as a replacement for my long-lost/loved CV25mm. I also bought the 10-24mm but haven't been using it much... oh well. If you do get a X-T1 and want a nice superwide lemme know :)

With regard to viewfinder lag/quality, that's something you will have to decide for yourself. I didn't get on with the X-E1 EVF at all, hence the X-M1.  But the X-T1 is supposed to be vastly better (not tried it yet).

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xf_lens/roadmap/

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2015, 01:26 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.  My main use will be people and landscape. 

John that lens is very interesting.   :scratch:   I've always wanted a super wide.  My plan would be the XT-1 kit (I think) and the XF50-140. 

audio.bill

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2015, 01:51 pm »
Deleted.

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2015, 09:29 am »
I use my Nikon 85mm PC on an X-M1 regularly, and my Nikon 300 f/4 rather less often.

To which I have just added the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4... :) A really nice used one came up locally at a bargain price... 1/3 of the price of the Fuji 56mm.

Such a shame there are so few lenses available :D

OK I'll stop with that. How's your thought process going jt?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2015, 12:32 pm »
To which I have just added the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4... :) A really nice used one came up locally at a bargain price... 1/3 of the price of the Fuji 56mm.

Such a shame there are so few lenses available :D

OK I'll stop with that. How's your thought process going jt?
I've pretty much decided on the XT-1.  I need to either buy it now or wait a year for the next model as the salesman told me they're on a two year cycle.  It's a bunch of money so there's that too.  Either way, I want one.   :D

Maritan

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2015, 02:53 pm »
Lowtech - Subpar viewfinder could be many things. You did not mention lag before. If you had given me a specific reason like I asked, I could google it myself.

That said, jtwrace, the X-T1 is supposed to be a great camera. I went with the Olympus. There were certain things that put me off the Fuji. They might not matter to you, but did to me.

1. I shoot in RAW format. Olympus leaves their RAW completely untouched. Fuji still applies some kind of noise reduction to their RAW files that cannot be removed! If you pixel peep, you'll see evidence of it. If you don't shoot RAW, then this really isn't that big a deal. Both Fuji and Olympus colours are beautiful, but I found Olympus slightly more true to my eye.

2. Olympus is supposed to have better AF speed. I can personally attest to the E-M1 locking focus instantaneously. I had the Fuji X100 and it was slooooowwwww. The X-T1 is supposed to be a substantial improvement over the X100, but most tests and reviews etc. unequivocally stated the E-M1 was faster at acquiring focus. I shoot pictures of birds, my dogs herding etc. So I wanted the faster autofocus.

3. I felt the Olympus E-M1 was more technologically advanced. The in body stabilization is a boon if I want to use non micro 4/3 lenses. And I'm planning on getting my first non m43 lens soon. This is even more true with the Olympus E-M5 Mk II. Some really nifty technology in the latest OM-D camera.

4. The m43 lens line up is a lot more mature. Olympus and Panasonic have a ton of lenses that are great tools for people and landscape photography. And if you're ok with manual focus, you have other companies making lenses for the m43 mount. Samyang, Voigtlander (10.5mm f0.95 anyone? How about 17.5 f0.95?) etc. But I think a lot of the same companies make Fuji mount lenses too. So, third party lenses are probably not a great selling point.

5. Lenses on the m43 line up are small. I mean shockingly small. When you have to cover a smaller sensor, you need less glass. This was a selling point for me because I want to hike and backpack with this camera.

6. More weatherproof lenses available at the time of my purchase.

That said, Fuji always tugs on my heart. They have just something about them. I talked to a pro-photographer friend of mine who shot with Canon full frames. For my purposes (landscapes at the time), he said I'd do well with either, but he actively steered me towards the E-M1 and I have loved every second of that decision. I now shoot birds, dogs and people and love the E-M1 and the versatility even more.

Really, you can't go wrong with either. Good luck and enjoy.

skunark

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2015, 11:04 pm »
I think folks forget the advantages of an EVF, at times it can actually be faster to use than a normal DSLR as you don't have to review the shots in the LCD.  You just hold it up and keep shooting as you know the composition for each shot.   BTW, XT1 has one of the biggest EVFs found in a camera today, IMHO subpar wouldn't be an accurate description of it.   I'm very curious what the rumored X-pro 2 will offer with it's hybrid viewfinder as you get the best of both worlds.

Also a lot of prosumers class cameras apply lens correction to the RAW files, so not always completely untouched.   As for the x-trans sensors, that in itself reduces noise until you take photos of green foliage but that appears to be a mixture of poor raw processors and x-trans bugs.  It's never been an issue for me and I live around a lot of foliage... lol 

Today I think Fuji has an amazing line up of high-quality lenses, it's more than adequate for my needs.  As they might be larger than 4/3 and m-mount lenses, they are mostly smaller than cannon lenses i've owned.   (The 10-24 zoom is the same size as the equivalent canon eos-s lens i had)   They are releasing more pancake lenses and you can also mount most of the Voigtlander pancakes with the adapter on fuji if you really want a light-weight APSC camera.

There's really a lot of good camera's out there, I think the only bad decision you can make is to buy into an APSC camera and think that you can 'upgrade' to FF.  That's not an option with Fuji and the seems to be an annoyance with the Sony mount.

Jim

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2015, 02:52 pm »
I like that there's no FF option with Fuji. Life is less confusing that way :)

JTW - 2 years? I think there was only a year between the X-e1 and X-E2.

Did you get to handle one? That's the only way to know. Try a few.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2015, 02:56 pm »
I like that there's no FF option with Fuji. Life is less confusing that way :)

JTW - 2 years? I think there was only a year between the X-e1 and X-E2.

Did you get to handle one? That's the only way to know. Try a few.
Yes, that's what the sales guy told me...my usual guy wasn't available at the time and he would certainly know best since he's the owner.  Oh well. 

Yes, I did handle the Fuji, Sony and Olympus.  I liked the Fuji the best.