Just finished a Star Wars Trilogy marathon

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 22 Sep 2004, 08:56 am »
And I've still got goosebumps! :o   I almost can't believe it, so long have I waited.  Yeah, there's some butthole-puckering CGI added in that totally destroys the suspension of disbelief, but overall I'm glad to finally have them.

I can see by the chicanery why he didn't want to let just anyone master them for DVD- they're not so much transferred as re-imagined.  You'll recognize the films, but there's a lot of tomfoolery.  Purists will be aghast at the tinkering with these cinematic classics.  I don't condone it, but on the plus side the picture & sound are astonishing.

Haven't watched the last disc yet- the bonus stuff.  That'll have to wait til tomorrow.

wshuff

« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2004, 01:30 pm »
Did you ever see the Special Edition LD that came out in 1997 or 1998?  Is there anything about the added material different in the DVD compared to those Special Editions?

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2004, 01:49 pm »
Well I have the originals on VHS which I will keep as factorial reference, but this is a must have.  Probably will pick it up before the weekend.

hmen

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2004, 01:50 pm »
I'm sure that a year or so from now they'll come out with another DVD version and advertise it as the "Unaltered Original" so everybody can buy it yet again. They released 3 separate VHS versions and I'm sure they're not done milking it yet.

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2004, 02:36 pm »
Just Say No!

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2004, 04:10 pm »

Fife12

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2004, 04:39 pm »
Why would Lucas be done?  

Episode 3 has yet to come and could be out on DVD by 2007....just in time for a crazy 10+disc set and maybe labelled the 30th anniversay box set????!!!!   :mrgreen:

WerTicus

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2004, 04:44 pm »
yeah dont buy it download the images and burn it :)

he has enough money and cant direct as it is so support you local pirate!

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2004, 05:34 pm »
Quote from: WerTicus
yeah dont buy it download the images and burn it :)

he has enough money and cant direct as it is so support you local pirate!

That's a joke, right?  Or are you really promoting common thievery?

ctviggen

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2004, 05:52 pm »
I mean that he supposedly will not release the older versions on DVD. Now, whether he makes additional changes and releases them, I don't know.

ampgalore

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2004, 07:37 pm »
I'm watching the "Empire strikes back." Lucas butchered the scene where Darth Vader talks with the hologram of the emperor on that star destroyer.

I can't believe it, he butchered that scene all over again!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2004, 01:56 am »
Just watched Episode 4 (about half of it with my 3 year d old son who thought it was pretty cool!!), now onto number 5.

I don't think I will get to number 6 tonight.   :mrgreen:

George

WerTicus

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2004, 02:35 am »
i promote common theivery when they are trying to charge a premium price for an old movie that has long since been paid for and they are trying to milk it for all its worth on 5$ worth of discs and packaging.... yes yes i do.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2004, 02:51 am »
Maybe, WerTicus- but I don't see 'em selling Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Godfather, or any other old classics, any cheaper.  That could just mean all movies are a ripoff, but don't I think $45 for the 3 classic Star Wars flicks plus a full bonus disc is outta line.

EDIT:  I'm a dunce; I meant to say I don't think the price is out of line.  Sorry for the confusion.

ampgalore

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2004, 03:00 am »
Am I missing something here? I usually consider $10 per disc to be reasonable.

Granted the fourth disc is a special features disc. Still, it does come down to about $10 per disc, not that outrageously overpriced.

nathanm

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2004, 05:04 am »
but [I don't] think $45 for the 3 classic Star Wars flicks plus a full bonus disc is outta line.

No, it isn't, but they aren't really "classic" Star Wars flicks though are they?  "Butchered" I believe is the term used.  :lol:

Don't give them your money if you think it's wrong.  I mean, at what point is a movie finished and ya move on to something else?  It would be like me taking drawings I made in grade school and redoing them.  Geez George, get over it already.  Make a NEW space story or something.  Sheesh!  If you ask me when a film is as successful as Star Wars it's no longer your property, it belongs to the fans, it shouldn't be mucked with 27 years later just because there's new technology to make movies with.

Hmmm...In a way George Lucas is like an audiophile, he can't stop tweaking the damn system! :lol:

ampgalore

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2004, 05:14 am »
Just put the damned ORIGINAL UNADULTERATED trilogy on DVD and be done with it once and for all!

I really hate people messing around with classics.

gongos

« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2004, 06:06 am »
The irony of the situation is in interviews George Lucas has complained/argued against the altering of classic movies. :scratch:

WerTicus

« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2004, 11:43 am »
okay well in australia is a 90 dollar set.. so that is 30 dollars a disc because the last disc i dont even want. i just want the movies... now 30 dollars... ...

thats a lot.

sorry they dont cost that much to produce and i dont find myself feeling bad stealing.

i am sorry if that offends anyone.

im like robin hood baby. ;-)

Woodsea

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2004, 11:55 am »
Here is the way I see it.  George is an artist and a business man, in that order.  If he was a business man first he would have hired the best director for episodes 1-3.  The star wars saga was initially about the special effects, than you got hooked with the original's superb story line.  
Correct me if I am wrong, but did not a Aussie 'fix' his movies as well, and nobody complained.  Arguably the studios told him the movies were too long.  But color me green, after the 1st two made a quadrillion nuevo pesos, he could have argued for artistic reasons to show his 'King' version in the theaters.  But no the whole fellowship distributes the 'hacked up' theatrical version 4 months before the version I am going to buy.
By the way- I purchased my 2nd version of the trilogy yesterday.  Though I have not viewed it as of yet.  Hooked on 'Fable' on the x-box