Are Omegas overdamped with low output impedance amps?

mamba315

I read somewhere recently (can't remember where ATM) that those who designed FR drivers with low cone weight and with massive motors found they didn't pair well with amps featuring a low output impedance.  Called the combo over damped.  Amps with a higher output impedance sounded much more balanced.

Assuming this is true, do Omegas fall into this category of FR driver?

Would using low output impedance monoblocks cause the Omegas to sound over damped / too lean?

I ask because Rob says "with the right amps" the Alnico 6 monitors don't need a subwoofer.  And he sure loves his tube amps, which often feature higher output impedances.  So I was seeking clarification on this point from anyone who might have knowledge here.

Thanks!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Are Omegas over damped with low impedance output amps?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2015, 04:33 am »
The older 4.5" hemp driver was like that but the RS5 does well with any good amp.

mamba315

Re: Are Omegas overdamped with low output impedance amps?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2015, 04:39 am »
What about the Alnico 6"?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Are Omegas over damped with low impedance output amps?
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2015, 06:08 am »
The older 4.5" hemp driver was like that but the RS5 does well with any good amp.
I found the same thing (over damping) with the 4.5 hemp, and liked to have a sub with it.  It did better in the smaller environment of a desktop.  The less damping factor an amp had, the happier that driver was.  It still was great driver though.  It's the one that converted me to single drivers almost six years ago.

The Alnico Hemp bares no relation to the 4.5 hemp in its behaviour.  Although the Alnico Hemp is the next lightest driver in the Omega line, it has no tendency to sound over damped. Ditto the RS5 and RS7 drivers.  If an amplifier doesn't have any strange anomalies in it's design, it should be quite happy with the current crop of Omegas. 

Quiet Earth

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2015, 02:09 pm »
What about the older 8" hemp driver (Hemptone/Tone-tubby?) with the whizzer cone?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2015, 05:55 pm »
What about the older 8" hemp driver (Hemptone/Tone-tubby?) with the whizzer cone?
The only Omega driver that could be called "overdamped" was the 4.5" hemp, and frankly I loved it - it just needed careful amplifier paring.  None of the 8" drivers behaved like the 4.5" hemp as far as damping goes.

Good Times

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2015, 09:58 am »
You want over damped, listen to a Zu speaker. If you don't have a valve amp, forget them. Omegas on the other hand, no such issue in my experience.