Basic questions about separates, preamps, amps, etc.

superjohnny

Hi All,
First, thanks for the great forum.  So I'm new to 2 channel audio and the whole concept of separates.  My plan is to build up a nice 2 channel system and I'm debating using something like a nice Pioneer Elite receiver or going separate.  Everyone seems to think 2 channel is better, but I don't know what it is :oops:

I'm currently using a H&K AVR125 receiver with 2 KLH speakers.  It's ok, but not hifi by any stretch of the imagination.  My plan is to build some DIY speakers based on the Ed Frias design and when I get some more $ upgrade my receiver.  I'm pretty handy with the soldering iron & DIY thing.  I've made numerous interconnects & headphone amps based on the Grado RA1 and CMOY designs.  If I could find a good design and instructions I'm confident I could put together a preamp as they're not too much different... or are they?  

I'm kinda lost here guys...  Can someone give me a good once over on how this all works?  
Thank you

<edit> more questions...
What does "bi wiring" speakers mean?
What's a "monoblock"?
What's a "transport"?
If you have an amp, why do you need a preamp?

Fife12

« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2004, 07:09 am »
What does "bi wiring" speakers mean?

Two wires going into the speaker instead of one assuming you have a speaker binding post with 4 posts (2 positive and 2 negative)

Example one:
Using say the left speaker as an example, you can use 1 cable of a stereo pair (one side postive and one side negative) and run them from your amplifier to the speaker but split each positive and negative wire into two so that you end up with 2 positive and 2 negative cables. Attach each pair of positive cables to each of the 2 positive speaker posts and the same with the 2 negative wires.

Example two:
Instead of just using one pair of speaker cables, you have or buy 2 pairs of cables which gives you a total of 4 cables. You effective use 2 cables for the left speaker instead of 1 cable in example one and should have the same connections at eh speaker end. The only difference is instead of having only one cable at the amplifier end, you have 2 cables connected at the amplifier end and connect them both to the speaker,

Example three:
Bi-Amp/Bi-wire results in the same connections as example two at the speaker end but now you use two amplifiers per speaker. Instead of having two cables connected to one amplifier and running both wires to the speaker, you use two amplifiers/monoblocks, each with its own speaker cable attached to it and run each cable to one set of the speakers 2 binding posts.

What's a "monoblock"?

A monoblock mean "one  block". Most stereo amplifiers power 2 channels for a left and right speaker.  A monoblock design powers only one speaker. In this case, you need 2 monoblocks to power 2 speakers.
Monoblocks are usually more ruggedly built and powerful...

What's a "transport"?

This is essentially a CD player where you use it primarily to hold and read the cd disc. You would in this case use an external processor called a DAC or a receiver's processor to "process" the info. This means a transport must have a digital out connection to connect to an external processor.
A CD Player = transport + internal DAC.
CD Players must have analog out (Left and Right) connections. Also, all newer players have digital out in case you want to use it as a transport only so that in the future when the CD Player's internal DAC becomes outdated you can just use an external DAC.

If you have an amp, why do you need a preamp?

A receiver  = amplifier + processor (DAC) + preamp
Amplifiers power the speakers.
Processors (DAC) process/convert the music to readable form and send it to the amplifier.
The Preamp controls which input devices (Cd player, Laserdisc, record player..etc) to use and provides the volume control.

I hope I got this info correct.

Regard.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2004, 10:23 am »
Everyone seems to think 2 channel is better, but I don't know what it is
I'm currently using a H&K AVR125 receiver with 2 KLH speakers
Well, then, you DO know what '2-channel' is after all.  It's simply the traditional TWO channels of music (the front L and R) versus say 5 channels in a Dolby Digital multichannel surround set up.  Perhaps the QUALITY of your current 2-ch setup is not in the league of the purists, but that's another matter.  It's not clear from the post if the HK is also the centerpiece in a multichannel/HT system, or if this is a surplus piece you are using for the stereo system (or even if this is THE system).

Many people starting from a receiver based system will begin the upgrade path with an outboard amp, still using the receiver as the preamp.

superjohnny

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2004, 04:39 pm »
Sorry if I wasn't clear Inscrutable, but what I meant is that people seem to prefer separates for 2 channel as opposed to using a receiver.

Fife12: Thank you for your excellent explanation... I'm reading you lound & clear.

So the pre-amp is used as the selector (CD, DVD, Tape, radio whatever), the DAC is in the transport and processes the signal and the amp powers the speakers.  If this is the case why do people use super nice pre-amps?  If it's just a source selector wouldn't any old receiver do (so long as it has enough connections for your various sources)?

I suppose there are tons of threads on "is bi-wiring speakers better?" out there so I'll do a search  :wink:  I guess if you are using mono-blocks then essentially you must bi-wire.

It is starting to sound to me that if I want to improve my audio setup the correct path would be speakers -> interconnects & speaker wire -> amp -> transport -> DAC.  Does this sound right?  Are there any online sources for DIY amps?

If it wasn't clear in my first post I'd like this system mainly for music, but I'd also like 2 channel home theater as well.

Thank you both so much

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2004, 04:56 pm »
Quote from: superjohnny
It is starting to sound to me that if I want to improve my audio setup the correct path would be speakers -> interconnects & speaker wire -> amp -> transport -> DAC. Does this sound right? Are there any online sources for DIY amps?

I'd go this route:
amp -> preamp -> Speakers -> DAC-> transport -> interconnects & speaker wire.

The first 3 can really be in any order.  A good preamp will not interfere with the signal nearly as much as a receiver.  It'll sound more clear, alive, and more like music when you have a good preamp.  

If it were me, I'd buy this setup as a newb on the cheap:

Hapi II preamp, B&K ST-202 amp, Snell Speakers from the late 80's early 90's (Type E, J, or K), Toshiba 3960 DVD (as cd/dac), and either signal or blue jeans cable.  

Note: I'm not saying go buy this, just giving an example of what I'd do with 1,k...

The speakers are the biggest variable.  Monitors or floorstanders... lively or relaxed.. etc.. A good amp will make the speakers sing.  I believe the electronics are almost as important as the speakers....  

As to online sources for DIY amps... there are a few that sell DIY digital amps but I can't remember who.. If you want a good traditional DIY kitset amp, the AKSA is what I have.  (http://www.aksaonline.com)  However, it'll cost you a little under 2,k to build... and you'll have an amp that's in the league of 4,k+ amps.  They also sell preamp's and speakers.... I haven't heard them but they are well-reviewed on the Aspen circle here.

superjohnny

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2004, 12:44 am »
I got my speakers from Best Buy for $20 (for the pair).  Is the AVR125 that bad of a receiver?  There will be a good 4-6 months between upgrades so if I upgrade the amp then preamp so I'm looking at close to a year before I upgrade the speakers.  Is it worth it to have a ~$1,000 amp/preamp in the meantime?

I'm using a Toshiba 3950 CD/DVD player that I'm going to modify soon.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2004, 01:26 am »
Quote from: superjohnny

So the pre-amp is used as the selector (CD, DVD, Tape, radio whatever), ...  If this is the case why do people use super nice pre-amps?  If it's just a source selector wouldn't any old receiver do (so  ...

There CAN be amplification (called "gain") in the preamp as well, and since the signal is still fairly small at the preamp input, the preamp CAN affect the overall sound considerably. But you're right that SOME preamps are mostly source selectors, so some people run a CD player with variable output directly in to an amp.  Works for some people, and it could be a temporary step in an overall upgrade plan.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2004, 11:49 am »
I would go with speakers first.  And from doing the same thing you are doing, go with the best you can afford at the time.  DIY is an excellent route to go.  First of all, mfgs offering DIY or assembled speakers offer more bang for the buck because there is no dealer to go through.  Add in DIY and you can save even more.  Be sure to check out the speaker mfgs here as they offer DIY and excellent designs.