Intoxicating Tube Preamp

neep

Intoxicating Tube Preamp
« on: 16 Feb 2015, 05:16 am »
I'm looking for a tube preamp to add to my Class D Wyred 4 Sound Mono's that would give me that intoxicating tube warmth and richness. I love my Rogue Perseus Magnum (and I'm not getting rid of it) but the Rogue gear has been said to sound more solid state than anything which I would agree with. So what I'm interested in trying is something with a lot more color. I want SOUL people!  :lol:

Would really appreciate any suggestions! I want to stay as far south from $2K as I can.

Early B.

Re: Intoxicating Tube Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2015, 02:53 pm »
If you want more warmth and richness, consider changing out the monos instead of buying another tube preamp (likely a lateral move for your budget).

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2015, 03:02 pm »
I agree with Early.  The flavor you seek is more easily obtained by changing the amp. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2015, 04:09 pm »
   Conrad Johnson PV series. You could find one used. One of our club members owns your amps. He uses a Prima Luna to great affect. Changed to NOS tubes Mullards I believe and all is good.
    Most of the new preamps IMO are more neutral than previous designs. Less coloration. Vintage preamps have the color however searching for one used is a PITA.  Have fun trying. Not familiar with the Rouge. Can you change tubes ? if so try RCA, Mullard which are rich in character.

charles

nickd

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2015, 04:24 pm »
+1 on the older CJ gear, lots of color, warmth and bloom indeed.

neep

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2015, 06:17 am »
   Conrad Johnson PV series. You could find one used. One of our club members owns your amps. He uses a Prima Luna to great affect. Changed to NOS tubes Mullards I believe and all is good.
    Most of the new preamps IMO are more neutral than previous designs. Less coloration. Vintage preamps have the color however searching for one used is a PITA.  Have fun trying. Not familiar with the Rouge. Can you change tubes ? if so try RCA, Mullard which are rich in character.

charles

I think you're right. I haven't really invested in a proper set of tubes and it could potentially save me thousands to do so. I do have a few quad sets of tubes but they were all under $100. It's time to try the genuine NOS Mullards so I placed an order for a quad set ($452 from Upscale Audio). Thanks everybody for the responses!

kentajalli

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2015, 10:13 am »
If you need to buy a piece of equipment, to give you a certain character, you are asking for distortion, aren't you?
A piece of audio equipment at its best is character-less or basically a piece of wire.
What various equipment aim to do, is to faithfully pass audio through. But since nothing is perfect, the compromise is to not to add anything (distortion), and not to miss any part of the audio (resolution).
Tubes amps tend to be human friendly! where they fail in distortion and resolution terms, is not so harsh on your ears, that's all.
I think others have already responded well, in saying: your problem is elsewhere.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2015, 01:45 pm »
I think you're right. I haven't really invested in a proper set of tubes and it could potentially save me thousands to do so. I do have a few quad sets of tubes but they were all under $100. It's time to try the genuine NOS Mullards so I placed an order for a quad set ($452 from Upscale Audio). Thanks everybody for the responses!

Cool. Your welcome. Hope it works out for you.

charles

kentj1948

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2015, 03:02 pm »
I have been listening to a Prima Luna Prologue 3 with my W4S STI-500 (used as an amp) and I think the combo is gorgeous.  I am using the stock tubes but an upgrade to some NOS tubes would probably be even better.  I bought the Prima Luna from Upscale Audio as a demo and it was very reasonable.  I don't think you would be the least bit unhappy with this preamp. 

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2015, 04:27 pm »
+1 on the older CJ gear, lots of color, warmth and bloom indeed.

+2 on the Classic CJ pre-amps ( the PV's or Premiere 1-3) I've also had good success with the older Audible Illusions 2 series pre-amps combined with solid state amps. If you remember, A.I.'s only amplifier offering was a solid state design. With this all said, the best way to experience tubes, at least in my travels, is to go with all tube amplification....as mentioned by a few posts already. The exception being a speaker that presents a difficult load not ideally suited for a tube amp..... which may be the case here.

steve k

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2015, 04:30 pm »
You  might also try an iFi ITube tube bufffer between your preamp and your power amp. It will introduce  a bit of that tube sound you're looking for and also has some 3D enhancement features that are amazing. I was skeptical at first until I heard the results. I'm using one currently between my VTL preamp and my Class D amps and it's the best my system has ever sounded. Could solve your problems for $300.  www.ifi-audio.com

steve

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2015, 05:30 pm »
I would consider this Cary SLP-03 preamp-

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/cary-audio-slp-03-new-in-the-box-with-real-mullard-tubes-included/

But I agree with others on a used CJ.  Also consider a Prima Luna Prologue which can be had for under $2K-

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/primaluna-prologue-three-preamplifier-open-box-w-warranty/

bluemike

« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2015, 06:59 pm »
My Audioprism mantissa I have here in the classifieds would work quite well ..just another option

mhconley

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2015, 08:12 pm »
I run my DIY ICEpower 1000ASP monoblocks through a YS Audio Audio Experience balanced A2 preamplifier.  It's $1096 shipped new.  I think the combination of a tube preamp and class-D amplification provides just the right balance of treble detail and airiness, midrange warmth and bass slam though my Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers.

Martin

sunnydaze

« Reply #14 on: 18 Feb 2015, 09:47 pm »
I own the same YS preamp.   Tremendous performer at its price point, and even multiples beyond.  I'm surprised it doesn't get more traction than it does, as in my rig and to my ears it has beaten other heralded and  pricier big names.

A local buddy brought his SAS preamp over to compare.  He ended up buying an Audio Experience.

That's an aside........
I have paired the AE with at least 8 amps in my setup, both SS and tubes,  but I'm a tube guy at heart. I hear it as fairly straightforward and neutral, open and dynamic with big slammin bass.  To my ears it leans just a touch to the warm side, with enough texture, richness and palpability to keep me interested.   May not be enough embellishment for the OP's needs.  Although I don't know his specific Rogue preamp, I own a Rogue Atlas Magnum amp, and have heard Rogue in several other systems.  I'd say the presentation is similar to AE.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2015, 11:17 pm by sunnydaze »

bernayschnecken

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2015, 11:14 pm »
A Joule-Electra pre will give you warmth, wide soundstaging and the ineffable tube magic you seek.

bernayschnecken

« Reply #16 on: 18 Feb 2015, 11:19 pm »
BTW, can anybody explain why posts are clocked at 5 hours ahead of EST? It's now 11:18 PM? Say what? Are we in the UK?

sunnydaze

« Reply #17 on: 18 Feb 2015, 11:20 pm »
A Joule-Electra pre will give you warmth, wide soundstaging and the ineffable tube magic you seek.

Definitely!   I owned a joule phono stage,  and that thing defined lush and warm.   Very musical.

sunnydaze

« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2015, 11:26 pm »
BTW, can anybody explain why posts are clocked at 5 hours ahead of EST? It's now 11:18 PM? Say what? Are we in the UK?

Goto home page.   Click on profile >> account settings>>look and layout.   Set up your clock there.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2015, 12:34 am »
I own a Rogue Perseus as well and look for a little more "soul" as the op states. Question for you more experienced than I.

How much does a source play in achieving the magic we look for? I went to a local forum member's house to listen to his system and he had a Modwright oppo player that sounded fantastic. I'm currently looking at tube dacs to help me get "there" such as the Lampizator line.

Secondly, as far as preamps has anybody heard the Cary SLP 98 that cares to comment?

Sorry Neep if I'm intruding, love the topic!