Projector & Screen recommendations - need help

Odal3

Projector & Screen recommendations - need help
« on: 15 Feb 2015, 08:32 pm »
Hi,
I in the process of fixing up my basement, and the plan was to just put down a TV, but then it struck me that the set-up would be perfect for a projector since there are no windows and it would be easy to control the light.

But, I have no experience in this so I'm hoping for some good recommendations on the budget side. Criteria is 1080 resolution, and it would be good with at least 2 HDMI inputs. It will be used for a mix of movies and streaming of TV shows via internet.
From other threads on this forum I gathered that something like the BENQ W1070 or the Epson 8350 would be good starting points.  But, I'm concerned about the rainbow effect on the BENQ.

What about screens? Any recommendations? Is DIY an option or is better to buy something pre-made? it will be fixed mounted on the wall.

Where are good places to look for deals on either projectors and screens?

Once I have sorted out the projector and screen I will start exploring setting up an HTPC as well. Was thinking Linux based.

loving_it

Re: Projector & Screen recommendations - need help
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2015, 09:35 pm »
Sony VPL-HW40ES
I use this model and Im happy

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2015, 03:17 pm »
Hi,
I in the process of fixing up my basement, and the plan was to just put down a TV, but then it struck me that the set-up would be perfect for a projector since there are no windows and it would be easy to control the light.

But, I have no experience in this so I'm hoping for some good recommendations on the budget side. Criteria is 1080 resolution, and it would be good with at least 2 HDMI inputs. It will be used for a mix of movies and streaming of TV shows via internet.
From other threads on this forum I gathered that something like the BENQ W1070 or the Epson 8350 would be good starting points.  But, I'm concerned about the rainbow effect on the BENQ.

What about screens? Any recommendations? Is DIY an option or is better to buy something pre-made? it will be fixed mounted on the wall.

Once I have sorted out the projector and screen I will start exploring setting up an HTPC as well. Was thinking Linux based.

What is your budget? Mine was pretty limited, but I was able to piece together a pretty nice system.

LadyDog

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2015, 03:47 pm »
As mentioned, a budget would be helpful.  The entry level stuff is very good now days(sub $1).  Though not the best in a light controlled environment and if you are movie fanatic wanting the darkest blacks.  As somewhat expected, spending another $1k is a step up.  Spending another $2k, another step up.

Helpful dot come sites; projectorreviews, projectorcentral, and the avsforum.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2015, 03:49 pm »
I have an Epson 8350 in my bedroom system and an Epson 5030 in the main system.  I also have Roku boxes in each.  I have an old Stewart Grayhawk in the main system and a motorized (that folds into the ceiling) DaLite screen in the bedroom (see pic).  For budget minded - I'd recommend something along this lines - http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=motorized+screens

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2015, 04:15 pm »
I just ordered my first projector and screen and am setting it up in my basement level as well.   I opted for the Sony VPL-HW40ES and a Seymour Center Stage XD 115" AT screen.   I wanted to go AT and put all the speakers behind the screen to maximize the screen size for my modest sized room.   

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2015, 05:33 pm »
I'm using the Epson 8350 on a 140" screen. The screen itself is painted with Kilz II.

From the massive threads on A/V forums about painting screens and the various recipes they use to achieve visual nirvana, the Kilz II has the least amount of color push and is recommended as the "perfect" starting place.
After doing this, I called it a day. For the price, I can't see spending the money to improve what seems to be pretty darn good as it is.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2015, 07:23 pm »
Hi,

I almost never notice rainbow effect with my 1070 and from the many user reviews I've read very few notice it due to the 6x color wheel used.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2015, 07:41 pm »
I almost never notice rainbow effect with my 1070 and from the many user reviews I've read very few notice it due to the 6x color wheel used.

The Benq has LCD panels. There should be no rainbox effect. That's an issue with DLP projectors. The Benq 1070/1080 is supposed to be a great projector for the money--especially in a room with ambient light issues.

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2015, 07:51 pm »
The Benq has LCD panels. There should be no rainbox effect. That's an issue with DLP projectors. The Benq 1070/1080 is supposed to be a great projector for the money--especially in a room with ambient light issues.

Yes, the W1070/1075 is still the <$1500 champ I believe.

LadyDog

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2015, 09:49 pm »

The benq is a dlp projector.  Though as mentioned, it has a fast wheel so rainbows may not be an issue. 

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2015, 10:28 pm »
The benq is a dlp projector.  Though as mentioned, it has a fast wheel so rainbows may not be an issue.

You are correct.  i was looking at the wrong model.  :oops:

LadyDog

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2015, 03:17 am »
No worries.  You are right though, in the sub $1,000 price range, the w1070/1075 or w1080/1085, would easily be in my top 2 or 3 to look at.

Odal3

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2015, 05:58 am »
and this is exactly why I posted it here. Thanks for all the friendly posts and good suggestions!!
Good questions: I'm trying to keep the budget down so my starting goal is ~$1k unless I will find that just adding a little bit more will result in much better performance. Forgot to mention that I will probably never use the 3D.

I'm leaning towards the W1070, but I read somewhere that it doesn't take chromecast  since it's missing MHL and doesn't have powered USB ports. I'm not familiar with MHL but is this correct or does this only refer that it needs power from a separate source?

To pay it forward to others looking for projectors, I will add links to reviews I found for the suggested options:

>$1k
Sony VPL-HW40ES - that looks like a great projector but at $1700-$2500 it's outside my budget: Review Sony VPL-HW40ES
Epson 5030 - this is another one I would consider for a future upgrade when I'm ready for the $2k range. The 5030UB version was editor's choice at projectorcentral: Epson 5030 Review

$<1k
Epson 8350 - this looks nice, and since it's a few years old, refurbished  and closeout deals can be found. Saw one for $750 Epson 8350 Review

BenQ W1070 - As also mentioned here by Ladydog and wushuliu, this projector has received a lot of good feedback, and since it is a few years old now, the price has dropped to $680: Benq W1070 Review . Link to discussion between Epson 8350 and BenQ W1070: Link

Benq 1075 - this is a newer version of W1075, and I saw one selling for about $780. Per projectorcentral "It adds MHL support, making it easier to use the HT1075 with mobile devices, and a more user-friendly menu system that is particularly helpful for first-time projector owners. But despite the new features, the similar image quality and overall performance means that current owners of the W1070 may not see the need to upgrade just yet". The input lag on the W1070 is also reported to be lower (23-30ms vs 50ms, but not sure if that will matter to me)  BenQ1075 review

BenQ W1080 or 1085 - these are the short-throw versions. BenQ W1080 Review

Will continue researching screens tomorrow.

Odal3

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2015, 06:06 am »
I'm using the Epson 8350 on a 140" screen. The screen itself is painted with Kilz II.

From the massive threads on A/V forums about painting screens and the various recipes they use to achieve visual nirvana, the Kilz II has the least amount of color push and is recommended as the "perfect" starting place.
After doing this, I called it a day. For the price, I can't see spending the money to improve what seems to be pretty darn good as it is.

Do you mean painting the screen on the wall?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2015, 01:03 pm »
Odal3. If you are considering budget screens, take a look at Silver Ticket Products (on Amazon). They go together fairly easily and provide a solid image.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2015, 01:28 pm »
Do you mean painting the screen on the wall?
Well, yea... you can do that too. I put some cabinets up, and a large hinged (at the top) screen.
Behind the screen is a huge shelved area where we can store things.

Here's a couple shots with the projector on, off, and one with the screen propped up:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2015, 03:29 pm »
This might be another option to consider if you're willing to take a chance.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132552.msg1404817;topicseen#new

Odal3

« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2015, 04:51 pm »
Well, yea... you can do that too.
. That's a neat solution to get some hidden storage space. Sorry for being slow, but is the screen itself store bought or something that you did yourself. If diy, what's the material, etc you used?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2015, 05:15 pm »
Where are you located?

I could put together a nice and attractive package of a used Epson pj and 110" Stewart Firehawk Screen that would be within the budget you mentioned.

This would be a great combo to start with.

George