Need help deciding what turntable to buy.

LordCloud

« on: 21 Feb 2003, 09:01 am »
I am looking at either a Music Hall MMF5 or  Pro-Ject RM4.  I haven't heard either one, but reviews are positive for both.  Anyone care to help me out?  Thanks in advance.

sceptic

« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2003, 11:58 am »
Buy a Rega.

DTH

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2003, 05:33 pm »
In the Jan & Feb 2003 issues of Stereophile M Fremer reviewed a bunch of tables in theis price range, one was the Pro-Ject.

Pro-Ject & MMF share some components, such as the tonearms, between their models.

I have owned a Pro-Ject 2.0 for several years. I have been satisfied with the performance of the table. However, last fall I decided to replace the cartridge, and I ended up needing a heavier counterweight. No Pro-Ject dealers have been able to get this part. I have contacted Sumiko directly and the guy there has not been able to come up with one either. I find this rather frustrating, and I am in the process of replacing this table with something else.

sceptic

There is a rumour of Rega price cuts.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2003, 07:13 pm »
Due to change of u.s. distributor.

Rocket

rega pricing
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2003, 08:48 am »
hello sceptic,

i'm a long time fan of the rega turntables.  i live in oz and a rega 2 is $750 and rega 3 is $1049 rrp, it's hard to get a dealer to come to the party and give a package price.

btw how much is it for a rega 2 and 3 in the uk.  i've been checking out ebay uk and there seems to be some great deals coming up, i'm considering going thru a dealer on ebay and see what i can get for my money.

btw lordcloud have you considered an origin live diy turntable they are supposed to be fabulous.

regards

rod

duff138

Re: rega pricing
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2003, 02:16 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
hello sceptic,

i'm a long time fan of the rega turntables.  i live in oz and a rega 2 is $750 and rega 3 is $1049 rrp, it's hard to get a dealer to come to the party and give a package price.

btw how much is it for a rega 2 and 3 in the uk.  i've been checking out ebay uk and there seems to be some great deals coming up, i'm considering going thru a dealer on ebay and see what i can get for my money.

btw lordcloud have you considered an origin live diy turntable they are supposed to be fabulous.

regards

In the US you can buy from some Canadian dealers and get the p3 for $524 shipped, and you get it from England for about the same (with US voltage).

What voltage do they use where you live?

rod

sceptic

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2003, 10:24 pm »
The change of US distributor should only affect the official US price,
personal import may still be cheaper.

UK retail prices P2 £198              P3  £298 (approx US$285 , US$430)

UK mains 240V 50 Hz

If importing check mains voltage and frequency.

Rocket

importing turntables
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2003, 01:02 am »
hello sceptic,

in australia our voltages are 240v 50 hz which is the same as the uk.  i won't import from the us as the voltages are different which is a pain.

298 pounds is quite good it converts to about $893 au but by the time i have to pay for shipping and import duty it probably isn't worth it.

we a bit of luck a secondhand turntable on ebay uk may be an option.  there is a nice systemdek for sale without a tonearm/cartridge that i'm looking at.

regards

rod

Hoots

Linn LP12
« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2003, 05:49 pm »
What about a Linn LP12 used for around $800-$900 US?

I've been reading about the Rega and Music Hall MMF-5 and MMF-7.

The sub $500 MMF-5 is tempting so I'm not sure where to draw the line in price.  I have >2,500 rock lps so I'm interested in playing records.

I was leaning towards the LINN which also seems to have upgrade options.

sceptic

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2003, 09:57 pm »
Hoots  

Buy the Linn!

LordCloud

« Reply #10 on: 24 Feb 2003, 02:41 am »
Thanks everyone for your help.  But now I have another contender, what about the Wood Classic?  Is it worth the extra $250?

Psychicanimal

« Reply #11 on: 24 Feb 2003, 10:57 pm »
Lordcloud, the real winner here is the 1200 on steroids--period.  Forget about Rega, Music Hall, Project, etc.  :mrgreen: