Super 3XRS + SuperZen Select=WOW!

kevtn8

Super 3XRS + SuperZen Select=WOW!
« on: 8 Feb 2015, 09:04 am »
Hello Omega AC members,

I just want to give a quick update after receiving my Super 3XRS a few days ago. At the moment they have about 22 hours on them and so they are still breaking in. I'm pairing them with a Decware SuperZen Select ( upgraded w/ new Jupiter Copper foil/wax coupling caps) and Decware silver reference interconnects and their Zen Styx speaker cables. DAC is MHDT Pagoda pure NOS/tube buffered that outputs 3volts. I'm running flacs off a separate hard drive from my Suface Pro 3 to the dac and using Foobar.

The sound that I'm getting so far is beyond comprehension and I never in my wildest imaginations expected anything close to this. Keep in mind this is my very first true floorstander and more importantly my very first full range single driver speaker so I was very nervous, anxious, and excited all at same time. All of my anxiety and nervousness quickly vanished once I heard the very first note from these speakers.....my jaw just dropped  :icon_surprised: . I have never heard music, voices and instruments sound more live and natural. Also, I've never been more emotionally connected to the music as I am with these speakers. I've thrown every type of music at them and its all sublime and effortless! They have no weaknesses that I can think of (other than recreating rock concert level SPL but most people don't listen that loud in their home). Soundstaging, imaging, layering, macro/micro dynamics, electrostatic speed, and the tone is just perfect. The frequency projection is so balanced and flat that one would think these are 3-way speakers! Just as impressive, even with the drivers still breaking in, the sound is still full enough that I don't feel the need for a subwoofer. Whats more shocking is that I'm able to attain this level of audio quality even though my room is not the best: very cramped, uneven layout and totally untreated.

All of this coming from a pair of 4.5inch drivers? Simply unbelievable! To me the RS5 driver is like the offspring of a pairing of a 1K dollar midwoofer and 1k tweeter. It is absolutely amazing and a very special driver indeed. Special thanks to Louis for developing this and he deserves all the credit in the world. I'm so glad that I finally discovered Omega and gave them a try. The Super 3XRS is by far the smartest audio investment I've ever made  :D

Now its all about the music and just adding to my collection.

Kevin

FireGuy

Re: Super 3XRS + SuperZen Select=WOW!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2015, 01:32 pm »
Hello Omega AC members,

I just want to give a quick update after receiving my Super 3XRS a few days ago. At the moment they have about 22 hours on them and so they are still breaking in. I'm pairing them with a Decware SuperZen Select ( upgraded w/ new Jupiter Copper foil/wax coupling caps) and Decware silver reference interconnects and their Zen Styx speaker cables. DAC is MHDT Pagoda pure NOS/tube buffered that outputs 3volts. I'm running flacs off a separate hard drive from my Suface Pro 3 to the dac and using Foobar.

The sound that I'm getting so far is beyond comprehension and I never in my wildest imaginations expected anything close to this. Keep in mind this is my very first true floorstander and more importantly my very first full range single driver speaker so I was very nervous, anxious, and excited all at same time. All of my anxiety and nervousness quickly vanished once I heard the very first note from these speakers.....my jaw just dropped  :icon_surprised: . I have never heard music, voices and instruments sound more live and natural. Also, I've never been more emotionally connected to the music as I am with these speakers. I've thrown every type of music at them and its all sublime and effortless! They have no weaknesses that I can think of (other than recreating rock concert level SPL but most people don't listen that loud in their home). Soundstaging, imaging, layering, macro/micro dynamics, electrostatic speed, and the tone is just perfect. The frequency projection is so balanced and flat that one would think these are 3-way speakers! Just as impressive, even with the drivers still breaking in, the sound is still full enough that I don't feel the need for a subwoofer. Whats more shocking is that I'm able to attain this level of audio quality even though my room is not the best: very cramped, uneven layout and totally untreated.

All of this coming from a pair of 4.5inch drivers? Simply unbelievable! To me the RS5 driver is like the offspring of a pairing of a 1K dollar midwoofer and 1k tweeter. It is absolutely amazing and a very special driver indeed. Special thanks to Louis for developing this and he deserves all the credit in the world. I'm so glad that I finally discovered Omega and gave them a try. The Super 3XRS is by far the smartest audio investment I've ever made  :D

Now its all about the music and just adding to my collection.

Kevin

Very well said Kevin.   Contrats on your purchase.  Last year...after reading testimonials, this forum and a call to Louis I went ahead got a pair of the Super 5's.  My experience is very similar to yours.  The 4.5" RS5 driver is shockingly good.  The driver's presentation is precise and organic.  Its ethereal sound is addicting and very natural.  I personally don't need loud, I prefer intimacy and extreme balance.  I've got it in spades. 
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2015, 07:32 pm by FireGuy »

milford3

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2015, 02:05 pm »
Kevtn8, pictures please!!!!!

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2015, 04:01 pm »
Kevtn8, pictures please!!!!!

X2......!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2015, 04:42 pm »
Hello Omega AC members,

I just want to give a quick update after receiving my Super 3XRS a few days ago. At the moment they have about 22 hours on them and so they are still breaking in. I'm pairing them with a Decware SuperZen Select...

The sound that I'm getting so far is beyond comprehension and I never in my wildest imaginations expected anything close to this.

Kevin, you just reminded me that I need to pay Canada Rob a visit.

kevtn8

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2015, 06:08 am »
I would love to add pictures but my desk and room right now is too messy to show on a public forum. Maybe I will reconsider after some cleaning. 

kevtn8

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2015, 06:50 am »
Wind Chaser, you owe it to yourself to at least audition this combo. At slightly more than 30 hours now, I can reaffirm all the superlatives and adjectives that Canada Rob has thrown at this special combo. In my eyes, if you don't listen at crazy rock concert SPLs......this combo will not be embarrassed by systems costing 5 or even 10x more. If you require or demand more deep bass, then maybe you can consider a sub but like Canada Rob previously said, I don't feel a need for a sub at all and in fact would fear the sub messing around with the picture perfect point source magic of this combo.

lobster9000

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2015, 03:44 pm »
I have to agree.  I've been using the Super 3XRS(graphite tweed)/Super Zen combo for a few weeks now.  I have over 50 hours on the speakers and probably 20 or so on the amp and it just keeps getting better and better.  I did prefer the sound with my Eastern Electric Minimax preamp with the Decware rather than just running the amp alone.  Added more body to the music.  It handles the music I intended to play on this system in this small room perfect.  Based on memory it easily beats the Zu Druids MK IV I had used in this room for many years.  Amazing really for the cost.  No buyers remorse at all on this little system.

Here are some blurry phone pics.  I'm still playing around quite a bit with room placement as the components continue to break in.  Any advice there is always welcome.

DBC

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2015, 04:16 pm »
lobster9000,

That's great, thanks for sharing. I have a 12 year old stock Zen and the newer Super Zen. The Super was a big upgrade and wonderful amp. I'm waiting for a pair of Super Alnico Monitors in the Graphite Tweed. That finish really looks good on your towers.

Other than the turntable I'm curious what you are using as a music source? I run an Oppo BDP-105D directly into my Super Zen. Preferred the Decware pre-amp into the Super Zen with my previous Oppo BDP-83se but prefer direct with the new Oppo player ???

kevtn8

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2015, 06:16 am »
I have to agree.  I've been using the Super 3XRS(graphite tweed)/Super Zen combo for a few weeks now.  I have over 50 hours on the speakers and probably 20 or so on the amp and it just keeps getting better and better.  I did prefer the sound with my Eastern Electric Minimax preamp with the Decware rather than just running the amp alone.  Added more body to the music.  It handles the music I intended to play on this system in this small room perfect.  Based on memory it easily beats the Zu Druids MK IV I had used in this room for many years.  Amazing really for the cost.  No buyers remorse at all on this little system.

Here are some blurry phone pics.  I'm still playing around quite a bit with room placement as the components continue to break in.  Any advice there is always welcome.

loster9000, thanks for sharing.

That's a great looking setup so far. The Zu Druids are very well respected and reviewed speakers ( they were on my radar but their cost and size turned me off) so your current subjective analysis of these Omegas really reaffirms how I feel everytime I listen to them. There's a coherence, purity, and tonal balance that I've never heard before with the exception of some very expensive headphones and earphones. In fact, with the right system synergy I don't feel there is a better speaker dollar for dollar anywhere on earth than the Super 3XRS. I have about 38 hours now and they keep getting better and better. Enjoy the break-in and keep us updated.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2015, 06:57 am »
Hi.

I want you to all know I'm reading this thread with great interest. I look forward to more input. Thanks!

I still haven't heard any Omega speakers yet, but my plans are shaping up to allow me to audition CanadaRob's Alnicos by the first week of May - assuming that is convenient for him. I'm really looking forward to hearing them. [I'm reminded that I ought to email him.] email sent......

Michael
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2015, 08:23 am by mresseguie »

beowulf

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2015, 08:19 am »
Cool pics, thanks for sharing!  I see we have the same record shelf. :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2015, 05:26 pm »
Hello lobster9000,

Lovely little system (little only in physical size, huge in sound). 

Two suggestions: 1) Toe your speakers in a little more so the drivers are shooting at your shoulders or that you can just see the inside of the cabinets from your listening position (I assume from the pictures your ears are in an equilateral triangle with your speakers).  2) Make sure your speaker spikes are well anchored into/onto the flooring underneath your carpet and underlay.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2015, 05:30 pm »
Cool pics, thanks for sharing!  I see we have the same record shelf. :D

Hi Beowulf,

Nice record cabinet.  How many times have you stubbed your toes on those casters?  :lol:

beowulf

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2015, 01:11 am »
Hi Beowulf,

Nice record cabinet.  How many times have you stubbed your toes on those casters?  :lol:

LOL, luckily I haven't felt their wrath yet as there is a little wiggle room to avoid them, but the wooden legs at the end of my bed ... that's another story :duh: