• http://www.bryston.com
NEW BRYSTON BDP-1 USB Digital Player - Feedback
« on: 1 Feb 2015, 01:58 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDP-1 USB Customer Feedback

February 2015

BDP-1USB Digital Player

Hello,

This is my first post here though I’ve been reading for a while.

BRYSTON BDP-1USB Player

Just wanted to share my experience with the Bryston BDP-1USB Digital Player i received a few days ago with my BDA 2 DAC … this combo sounds great.

There's no comparison to my (edit) I used exclusively as music server; BDP-1USB Digital Player just sounds superior in all aspects.

A big thank-you to James for coming through with sending the unit to s. Korea. Thank you Bryston for great products and great service. Keep up the good work, guys!

Best
Zachhahn

TJ-Sully

Re: NEW BRYSTON BDP-1 USB Digital Player - Feedback
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2015, 04:39 am »
Hi James

I'm a newbie here....

I recently purchased the BDA2 and love it. I am using Audirvana and JRiver as my player and looking to move to BDP-1USB or BDP2.

I like the balanced connection option in the BDP2.

Are you able to shed some light on the main differences between the BDP1USB and the BDP - from a sonic quality perspective? I am primarily listening to PCM files stored on an external drive.

One more....can the BDP stream from Tidal?

Thanks,
TJ Sully
Smithers BC

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2015, 04:41 am »
BDP2

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2015, 11:40 am »
Hi James

I'm a newbie here....

I recently purchased the BDA2 and love it. I am using Audirvana and JRiver as my player and looking to move to BDP-1USB or BDP2.

I like the balanced connection option in the BDP2.

Are you able to shed some light on the main differences between the BDP1USB and the BDP - from a sonic quality perspective? I am primarily listening to PCM files stored on an external drive.

One more....can the BDP stream from Tidal?

Thanks,
TJ Sully
Smithers BC

Hi TJ

The BDP2 has a sound card whereas the BDP-USB does not.  So a lot depends on the DAC used with the BDP-USB as that determines the quality of the audio. Some feel that sound cards offer better audio quality than USB but others feel the opposite so I think the jury is still out on that one.

With your BDA2 DAC the USB is ASYNC so it offers as good a quality from USB can provide.

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2015, 04:31 am »
Thanks James.

I'm hinging my bets that higher quality streaming services, like Tidal, will become more evident and available in the future. Is it possible to configure the BDP to play or access those types of services, eg. Tidal?
I'm trying to avoid using a dedicated streamer - and hoping a digital player like the BDP can take this on.

C'est possible?

R. Daneel

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2015, 06:54 am »
Hi!

If you have a BDA-2 and intend to use BDP, then you will find there is no difference between USB and SPDIF connection. The BDP-2 and original version of BDP-1 both have identical audio processing so they sound identical. The BDP-1USB is identical to BDP-1 in every way apart from the fact it has no conventional digital outputs and uses USB as it's output instead. So if audio quality you are after, with BDP-1USB you can do as good as you can do with the other two players because, like I said, there is no difference between USB and SPDIF.

Howver, I must say this has little to do with the type of interface and a lot more to do with the BDP itself. Use your BDA-2 with a conventional computer and then use it with the BDP and the difference will be apparent and it will sound clearer.

I would say this is because BDP has noiseless power supply so both interfaces, USB and SPDIF, work to the fullest potential. Considering measurements of both interfaces are virtually identical, they do in fact sound identical and any difference would be a matter for academic debate.

I use the BDP-1 and BDA-2 with an AES/EBU cable. I just like to use the hardware processor of the BDP-1 rather than it's software decoders but I will admit I hear no difference between them.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2015, 09:54 am »
Thanks James.

I'm hinging my bets that higher quality streaming services, like Tidal, will become more evident and available in the future. Is it possible to configure the BDP to play or access those types of services, eg. Tidal?
I'm trying to avoid using a dedicated streamer - and hoping a digital player like the BDP can take this on.

C'est possible?

Hi

Yes the newest software on the BDP has a Beta version of Tidal.

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2015, 06:22 am »
Very cool james. Just to clarify....is the beta version of Tidal is available for all BDP models? 

TJ-Sully

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2015, 06:58 am »
Hi Antun. Thanks for the info. As i mentioned earlier, I am interested in balanced connections - and have been wondering whether the AES output in the BDP1 may be superior to the USB output.  Are you suggesting there are no sonic differences?

R. Daneel

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2015, 11:54 am »
Hi Antun. Thanks for the info. As i mentioned earlier, I am interested in balanced connections - and have been wondering whether the AES output in the BDP1 may be superior to the USB output.  Are you suggesting there are no sonic differences?

Hi!

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Despite my best efforts, I did not hear a difference. Even with Sennheiser HD800 and Bryston's own BHA-1 headphone amplifier, it sounded identical.

I have the BDA-2 DAC so this should not be surprised considering both AES and USB measure virtually identically. There might be differences with other DACs, I don't know.

Cheers!
Antun

Elemberg

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2015, 09:32 pm »
Hi

Yes the newest software on the BDP has a Beta version of Tidal.

james

Hi James,
I recently moved to the Maniac Moose update and enabled Shairplay so that I could stream Tidal from an iPad. This is awesome because I was considering buying a dedicated streamer with AirPlay to achieve this. However, it's really buggy in my experience and cuts in an out.  I noticed you said this is a beta version so this is to be expected, but is this something your group is pursuing to make stable? I ask because the  ability to use AirPlay from an iPad for services like Tidal and Naxos Classics online have become the mainstay of my listening sessions these days.
Thanks,
Eric

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2015, 10:46 pm »
Hi James,
I recently moved to the Maniac Moose update and enabled Shairplay so that I could stream Tidal from an iPad. This is awesome because I was considering buying a dedicated streamer with AirPlay to achieve this. However, it's really buggy in my experience and cuts in an out.  I noticed you said this is a beta version so this is to be expected, but is this something your group is pursuing to make stable? I ask because the  ability to use AirPlay from an iPad for services like Tidal and Naxos Classics online have become the mainstay of my listening sessions these days.
Thanks,
Eric

Yes Chris is working long and hard on getting Tidal to work seamlessly.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2015, 01:38 am »
Hi James,
Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

I've only had a handful of customers report in how well the Shairplay (unofficial airplay) feature works and it's has been a little mixed.  Some people have noted it works well and others not so well.  I have found that if you play something uninterrupted the feature is pretty stable.  However if you start and stop playing that you also have to stop and restart the Shairplay feature.  We have recently made it through Apple's hurdles to become official developers, but other things are taking priority over implementing an official airplay feature.

Cheers
Chris

TJ-Sully

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2015, 06:07 am »
Keep up the good work Chris!

In addition to the wonderful features of the BDPs -  using it to play redbook quality music from Tidal is a real bonus and selling feature for new potential BDP customers....like me!  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2015, 04:40 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDP-1 “USB

March,  2015

Hi Folks,

Excellent review on the Bryston BDP-1 USB Digital Player in Son and Image Magazine.

Conclusion:

“The BDP-1 USB is “detailed and precise” without becoming analytical, the BDP-1 USB concentrates on the unique task of rendering music in all of its splendor.  If you use a computer to convert to analog now you should change to a Bryston USB player because it is certainly better.

Developed and perfected in one step the Bryston BDP-1 USB elevates listening to music via USB to a level that outclasses the actual USB source from my 2014 Macbook Pro using Audirvana.

The Bryston BDP-1 USB is simply the best USB source I have ever heard. The price is very accessible as well and is just the cherry on top.”

Jasn-Erik Nordoen
Son & Image Magazine

James Tanner

• Facilitator

TJ-Sully

« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2015, 05:31 am »
hey james. how about them maple leafs! ..too bad they fell apart this year.....well,  it's good thing the Habs are rocking it this year  :) GO HABS.

so...i found myself a BDP-1. yes!!   should have it within a week or so. In the meantime i need to order a cable to connect to my BDA-2, and looking for any suggestions you may have. The Bryston online store has both the Digital AES/EBU  and a Single XLR. What are the differences between the two?

cheers, TJ

srb

« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2015, 06:13 am »
The Bryston online store has both the Digital AES/EBU  and a Single XLR. What are the differences between the two?

The Single XLR cable is for analog applications and has an impedance < 85 Ohms.  The AES/EBU cable is a 110 Ohm cable which is the impedance required for AES/EBU digital connection between the BDP-x and the BDA-x.

Steve

TJ-Sully

« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2015, 06:38 am »
i figured so, thanks. TJ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 4 Apr 2015, 11:25 am »
hey james. how about them maple leafs! ..too bad they fell apart this year.....well,  it's good thing the Habs are rocking it this year  :) GO HABS.

so...i found myself a BDP-1. yes!!   should have it within a week or so. In the meantime i need to order a cable to connect to my BDA-2, and looking for any suggestions you may have. The Bryston online store has both the Digital AES/EBU  and a Single XLR. What are the differences between the two?

cheers, TJ

Hi TJ

The AES is a Balanced digital connection so I recommend that into your BDP-1.

james