Powervar Power Conditioner

KR500

Powervar Power Conditioner
« on: 20 Jan 2015, 01:41 pm »
Received a Power conditioner that was to be thrown out and wondered if it was suitable for stereo equip. ?

It is marked Powervar Power Conditioner 120VAC - 1.5 amp 60Hz and is a heavy block of iron weighing about 4 pounds
A duplex receptacle is on the back along with the chassis mounted  heavy duty power cord
It's not listed on the manuf. site any more so is fairly old but still in great shape

Edit ; I misread the model number on the label due to it's age and it couldn't tell if it was a 5 or 6 . It's a 5 and I got the PDF file from the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2015, 04:14 pm by KR500 »

KR500

Re: Powervar Power Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2015, 02:44 pm »
okay , haven't been able to find anything on this unit all week but did find this info on that auction site this morning.

POWERVAR standard power conditioners are for use with any microprocessor based electronic equipment. Thanks to their low impedance isolation transformer, you can trust these conditioners to protect your sensitive equipment from the biggest problem for today's computers --common mode voltage-- which can cause failures ranging from equipment lockups to data losses and more. All POWERVAR power conditioners incorporate a RED LED that immediately begins flashing if the circuit powering the conditioner is missing its input safety ground.

Model: ABC150-11W
Part No. : 61018-21
Input:120VAC 1.60A  60Hz
Output: 120VAC 1.50A 60Hz

Mike82

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2015, 11:04 pm »
Received a Power conditioner that was to be thrown out and wondered if it was suitable for stereo equip. ?

It is marked Powervar Power Conditioner 120VAC - 1.5 amp 60Hz and is a heavy block of iron weighing about 4 pounds
A duplex receptacle is on the back along with the chassis mounted  heavy duty power cord
It's not listed on the manuf. site any more so is fairly old but still in great shape

Edit ; I misread the model number on the label due to it's age and it couldn't tell if it was a 5 or 6 . It's a 5 and I got the PDF file from the manufacturer.

Is it suitable for audio?  Absolutely!  It’s an isolation transformer, albeit a smaller one (capacity about 180 watts) ., but it is suitable to use on source components. I use a  Powervar on my CDP with excellent results.   You could use it on a CDP or t-table.   You will likely experience a lower noise floor and better separation between the instruments, etc.

Some audio companies make them, namely Bryston who has a forum here. Called the BIT 15 or BIT 20 BIT= Bryston Isolation Transformer. 

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2015, 11:33 pm »
Powervar is basically designed for computers, not audio equipment. A good power conditioner designed for audio would have no hum at all, IEC plug, damping material, and would include higher quality parts. Sure, it will work for audio, but keep your expectations low and put it on a secondary or garage rig.

Mike82

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2015, 12:41 pm »
Powervar is basically designed for computers, not audio equipment. A good power conditioner designed for audio would have no hum at all, IEC plug, damping material, and would include higher quality parts. Sure, it will work for audio, but keep your expectations low and put it on a secondary or garage rig.

A lot of the Powervar iso x-formers out there, including mine and especially one with such low output current,  are medical grade with excellent specs for noise, leakage, etc.   Try it on your CDP, t-table or pre-amp.

KR500

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2015, 02:15 pm »
Okay Mike , thanks for chiming in . This piece seems very well built.
I have a separate 20 amp line from my panel to the PSW Audio receptacle my rack is plugged into.
Right now everything is plugged into a rack power conditioner by Pyle .

Mike82

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2015, 03:04 pm »
In that case, I would first try plugging the iso x-f into the Pyle conditioner, then the CDP, pre, t-t,into the iso. Let us know how it works.

PS: If you like what it does, you can always “tweak” it with a better duplex (at least clean the existing one with some CAIG) and line it with some ERS cloth.

Okay Mike , thanks for chiming in . This piece seems very well built.
I have a separate 20 amp line from my panel to the PSW Audio receptacle my rack is plugged into.
Right now everything is plugged into a rack power conditioner by Pyle .

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2015, 03:11 pm »
I use one in my media closet.

I plug my router and gigabit switch into it.

My intention is to keep the hash from those power supplies from going back into the AC panel dedicated to my audio setup.

Was local and cheap.