Wyred Dac-2 DSDse or Lampizator dac

Tomy2Tone

Wyred Dac-2 DSDse or Lampizator dac
« on: 19 Jan 2015, 08:22 pm »
Throwing this out there in case anybody has had the chance to hear both of these brands. I have a Wyred dac-2 but have not used it in a while because I never thought much of it. I've read the DSDse upgrade turns it into a really excellent sounding dac. If I sent mine in to Wyred for the upgrade it would cost me $1300. Which is less than a new Lampi Amber.

I'm curious though about Lampizator dacs and how they would sound being that they are tubed. I'm not sure what a fair comparison would be between these two, maybe a Lampi level 3 or Amber(which isn't out there quite yet) versus the Dac-2 DSDse.

Anyways, if anybody has heard either of these and would like to share their experiences that would be great.

Thanks!
-Tom

Rocket

Re: Wyred Dac-2 DSDse or Lampizator dac
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2015, 05:15 am »
Hi Tom,

Any chance you could borrow  a Lampizator dac for a comparison.  I've been through this before when upgrading my system and its far too subjective and your best to make your own mind up.  Perhaps you can contact the US dealer who is a member of audio circle.

I do have a soft spot for Wyred 4 Sound after they fixed my problematic Ampzilla 2000 amplifier.

Cheers Rod

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2015, 05:36 am »
I agree with Rocket. I could share my thoughts upgrading from DAC-2 to DAC-2 DSD SE (with femto), but I don't think I'd provide anything any more meaningful than what you've likely already read. The upgrade is substantial, but how it compares to the Lampizador (which I haven't heard), I really don't know. If at all possible, try and demo both.

George3

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2015, 08:19 am »
Tom,

Allow me to share my experience with you.  I began my quest for a new DAC in the middle of last year and while at RMAF that was my quest.  Top on my list was the Wyred 4 Sound DSD-SE and the PS Audio DSD.  A good friend of mine here in El Paso loaned me his W4S DSD for about two weeks while he was on vacation and I was most impressed although I did not use the DSD option only using it as a straight redbook converter. 

At the RMAF I was unable to discern what the PS Audio DSD sounded like, there were just too many things going on in the room and I was just not enchanted with the sound of the speakers being used.  Even given the stellar reviews of the PS Audio DAC I came to the conclusion that the price differential between the two DAC's would steer torwards the W4S. 
 . C   "'

Enter the Lampizator.  A friend of mine bought a Lampi 4.5 (heavily upgraded) and was upgrading almost immediately to the 7.  He offered it to me at a rather fabulous price.  After reading all I could find on it, I decided to purchase it without auditioning which is against my instincts.   Let me just tell you that in all my many years as an audiophile this has been the best and most sonically rewarding purchase I have ever made besides buying my speakers. This DAC has transformed my system.  It is, in a simple word, musical.  I am absolutely enamored with it and what it does.  While it does have the capability to do DSD I do not use it so I cannot speak to that aspect.  I can only tell you it is far superior to the W4S to my ears.  The level of detail, clarity and tone coupled with an enhanced decay just makes my music more engaging more precise and clear.

I feel most fortunate to have stumbled upon this opportunity.  In the best of worlds you should have the opportunity to audition both these devices in your system and chose that which appeals to you the most.  I can only offer you that what I experienced.

George

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2015, 12:11 pm »
Thanks for the useful reply George.  I'm in the DAC market, but feel compelled (for the next few years at least) to run a 5 meter USB cable from my MacBook at my listening chair.  First don't know how much sound quality that long cable will take out, so torn to invest seriously (for me) in a nice DAC.  Almost pulled the trigger on an Amber ($2,500 with cap upgrade and shipping).  Also looking at the just released Chordette 2Qute ($1,800 for a very small, high quality, and unique design).  For a "get by" DAC looking seriously at the Halide HD ($510, tiny, captive cables, 2014 Stereophile Class A rated, runs Gordin Rankin's Streamlength anti-jitter firmware, but only goes to 24/96 PCM).

The smaller DACs would allow me to keep my rack and run two systems in one setup (one for killer background sound for use from my desk and as a backup with leftover gear, and the main rig using the MacBook, tube integrated, and this new DAC).

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jan 2015, 01:04 pm »
Thanks guys for the replies.

Your experience with the Lampi George seems to be consistent with everything I've read so far. I don't know what their doing in Poland but it seems to be working really well.

The built in dac I'm using in my DSPeaker Dual Core is actually pretty good with a lot of detail and transparency but I guess I'm looking for a little more bloom or weight to the music which is why I'm considering a tubed dac like the Lampizator.

I agree Rocket that Wyred's customer service is really good as they have helped me with some issues in the past as well. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask for a demo from both of these guys so I'll see how that goes.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2015, 03:55 pm »
The only way you are going to be clear on the differences between these DACs is to try them in your system.  So much of what involves preferring one DAC over another is going to be system dependent that you cannot really learn much from other peoples' comments (related to their own system context).
Also, each of these DACs are going to be a little different depending on what input is used, and what the source is.  So you need to listen using your preferred source as well.  Some DACs will be better via USB, and some may be better via SPDIF, or in W4S case, perhaps I2S will be the best input...

There are just too many variables to base a decision like this on other folk's experience.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2015, 05:30 pm »
I agree I need to hear these dacs for myself in my own environment but I guess I'm looking for a little nudge. It's hard to find anybody who has not been impressed by a Lampizator dac so I'm more interested in it than I am in the Wyred.

Like I mentioned before, I have a standard Dac-2 and it is not that great of a dac compared to the built in dac on my DSPeaker dual core. I'm intrigued by what a tubed dac can bring to the table and everything I read about Lukasz Fikus sounds like he's invented the wheel when it comes to digital to analog conversion.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2015, 05:50 pm »
Tommy, I don't mean to throw water on this, but your upgrade to the Wyred DAC-2DSDse is 8X less than the msrp of the Big 7, reviewed above by George.  Let's hope to all hope that the Lampi is better.  :)  And it is. 

With such an enormous budget creep, you need to get these things inhouse.  My latest review (PS Audio DS on computeraudiophile dot com) re-opened my eyes to one amazing aspect of the DAC-source synergy, and that kind of stuff (as Barrows points out) is worth its weight in gold.   Only your source(s) and your system can work that out.  Especially if willing to spend ("prices start at $10,500") for the Lampi Big 7. 

George3

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2015, 06:03 pm »
Ted-b,

Let me just point out that I did not buy a Lampi 7, nor compared it to the W4S. 

I bought a used Lampi 4.5 ......

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2015, 06:13 pm »
Oops, sorry.  I misread (too quickly) the "and was upgrading almost immediately to the 7.  He offered it to me at a rather fabulous price".  My bad.