Anyone using a Stratos or Khartago with AVR as pre/pro?

gregcss

Just wondering if anyone is using an AVR as pre/pro with Stratos or Khartago amps. A couple years ago I added a Parasound A52 amp (used) and didn't think it made any difference so I sold it. Looking to try again with Odyssey amps but don't know how of what makes Odyssey great be lost by using an AVR as pre/pro. Not sure if a standalone processor such as the new Marantz ACV7002 or the upcoming high(er) end Outlaw processor would be any better.

Second question. How much breathing room do the sides of Stratos need? The cabinet I have would leave little room on the sides, but I read they run cooler than one would think so it may be a non-issue.

Obsession18

Re: Anyone using a Stratos or Khartago with AVR as pre/pro?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2015, 01:22 pm »
Using an AVR as a pre/pro will really limit the performance of a good amp, trust me I know, I used to run a Pioneer Elite AVR feeding a Parasound New Classic 2250.  When I finally upgraded to a dedicated 2 channel preamp with HT bypass (Cambridge 840E) I noticed a HUGE improvement in performance, the AVR was the weak link in the chain.

The next big improvement in performance came when I replaced the Parasound with a Odyssey Kismet 2 channel amp.  Do your self a favor upgrade your pre/pro before getting a new amp.   

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2015, 07:47 pm »
When I first got my Stratos (Plus), my trusty old Denon AVR-3801 served as the pre.   Definitely an improvement IMO over the Denon's 100 watts. But once the Candela was introduced.... whoa, a huge improvement.

My Stratos is on all the time but only slightly warm to the touch.  Only 1-2 inches of space above and on the sides.

gregcss

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2015, 02:51 am »
When I first got my Stratos (Plus), my trusty old Denon AVR-3801 served as the pre.   Definitely an improvement IMO over the Denon's 100 watts. But once the Candela was introduced.... whoa, a huge improvement.

My Stratos is on all the time but only slightly warm to the touch.  Only 1-2 inches of space above and on the sides.

Thanks, Miney. What are you using as a dac to feed the Candela?

Update: Looking at your system profile I'd say Cambridge DacMagic & Squeezebox Duet