SP-3 - Transformer ripped off!

mv038856

SP-3 - Transformer ripped off!
« on: 12 Jan 2015, 06:12 pm »
Hi there,

it happened during shipment... the pole that the toroidal transformer of my SP-3 was fixed on, was torn out of the metal. The loose transformer crashed against the back of the display, as the transformer is mounted directly behind the display.  :cry:

The SP-3 shipped double boxed in the original Bryston box. Sure, parcel services don't care if the box is plastered with fragile stickers, but shouldn't the machine inside survive it, especially since the outer box does not show any damage?

I was wondering whether the way the mounting pole is fixed in the chassis is appropriate for the weight of the transformer. Or could fastening the Torx screw too tightly lead to pulling out the pole? And maybe some inappropriate acceleration completed the mission...

Anybody had the same problem?

Thanks

Markus

Buseto

Re: SP-3 - Transformer ripped off!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2015, 06:16 pm »
Bad luck.
I suppose you didn't have to pay for repairing it.

mv038856

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2015, 06:23 pm »
Bad luck.
I suppose you didn't have to pay for repairing it.

That is to be seen. As there was no damage outside, I didn't recognize the problem until two month after delivery, when I wanted to mount the equipment into the rack...

SHV

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2015, 06:49 pm »
My SP3 died after about three years, no drops or trauma.  Sent to Bryston and the short repair note indicated that the transformer had come loose and caused the problem. 

Steve

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2015, 12:47 am »
It's hard to draw a nexus there though. "Transformer coming loose" could also refer to wiring (unless you noticed it moving inside the unit when you packed it for shipment?).

Markus, I feel for ya. It's frustrating when things break that shouldn't and you didn't have a hand in it. It could have been human error, problems with the metallurgy, etc. Regardless, it's frustrating.  :cry: My sympathies.

mv038856

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2015, 02:53 pm »
Markus, I feel for ya. It's frustrating when things break that shouldn't and you didn't have a hand in it. It could have been human error, problems with the metallurgy, etc. Regardless, it's frustrating.  :cry: My sympathies.

Thank you for your sympathies!

I returned the unit to the German distributor, located in Vienna, Austria. I hope he can figure out a solution that is not too costly... and above all restores the unit to 100% functionality.

Thanks

Markus

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2015, 03:29 pm »
Interesting there was no damage on the box.
Seems to me it wasn't assembled properly or material defects.
I'd request a new one,who knows what else is sub standard in there.
I had a few problems a few yrs ago(which I won't disclose)and received replacements(TWICE) :thumb:.

mv038856

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2015, 01:09 am »
Hi everybody,

I am happy to report that my SP-3 has been fixed!  :D

Still sounds amazing! 8)

Thanks to AViTech and Bryston for the hassle free and free of charge service!

Markus