Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Finally! Cantus returns.
« on: 18 Sep 2004, 02:08 am »
Cantus
October 15, 2004, 8 p.m.
Tickets: $18, $28, $36
www.cantusonline.org

Returning to the stage of the Great Hall, Cantus is a male vocal chamber ensemble "dedicated to exalting the human spirit through the performance of innovative and engaging musical programs." The group was founded in 1995 when a few college friends gathered on the campus of St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minn. Comprised of 10 singers, the ensemble's performances are met with overwhelming praise for its unique blend of youthful vitality and polished nuance. Its repertoire spans many periods and genres, including Gregorian chant, contemporary sacred works, folk music, spirituals and pop. Cantus’ singing has been called "spontaneous grace" by the Washington Post.

_______________________________________ _________________________

I was foolish enough to miss them last time, but I won't make that mistake again.  Cantus is a phenomonal vocal group performing music that ranges from Gregorian chant & sacred works to american folk standards.  Their last album was actually recored in the Great Hall of the Washington Pavilion here in SF.  What an oportunity it'll be to hear the music in the same venue it was recorded in,

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Finally! Cantus returns.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2004, 04:25 am »
Wow, they were definately amazing!  They were everything I'd heard and more.  I'd expected them to put on a great vocal performance but I wasn't prepared for the good of a show- they combine some elements of theatre that I hadn't expected.

What a great opportunity to calibrate ones ears to the sound of live music, too.  Cantus' last CD was recorded in the same venue where I saw them.  Aside from the fact that a good percentage of the audience members seemed to be afflicted with tuberculosis or Black Lung Disease, the sound was stupendous. [Sadly, flu season has already struck SD with a vengeance.]

If they come anywhere near you, don't miss a chance to see this amazing group.