What are people using for a source these days?

byteme

What are people using for a source these days?
« on: 9 Jan 2015, 06:18 pm »
Hello,

Been out of the 2 channel game for a while now and was (happily) reunited with Audio Circle yesterday when googling info on the Usher X-616 center channel speaker.  Imagine my surprise running across my review here of it from about 10 years ago!  Wow.

The reason for the google to begin with is we moved into a new house bought a new TV and need a stand for it that will house my still spectacular Odyssey Stratos Mono extremes and the Usher center.  Another benefit of the new house is the room sounds GLORIOUS in 2 channel with those Extremes powering the equally glorious Lorelies!!  I ran my iPhone into the back of my deHavilland preamp and WHOA did it sound great, right out of the phone.  SO, that got me thinking, there HAS to be a better way than pluggin in the phone.  My only source is (again, really going back a ways here!! :)) is a Squeezebox (prior to Logitech buying them :)) modded by and battery powered by Red Wine Audio.  Exactly the same as this:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83907.0

Now, I could use it but was hoping for other ideas.  Things MUST have changed in the years I've been away, haven't they? 

PS - Should also mention I converted ALL of my CDs to digital (FLAC) and then before the move sold all the hard copies to decluttr.com  :green:

Thanks!  Brian.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Re: What are people using for a source these days?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2015, 06:27 pm »
OPPO BDP-105.  Geek Pulse tricked out on the way.

bunky

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2015, 06:33 pm »
Hey Brian, glad to see you come back here man  :thumb:

marflao

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2015, 05:47 am »
Brian,

I'm using a Squeezebox Touch - powered from an additional Dual Linear Power Supply - into my current Dac which is connected to my Cyclops.
Try a decent DAC* in your chain at first and if you still want to upgrade afterwards there are various Streamer at the market.
Auralic's Aries has a lot of raves but there are definitely others, too (a SBT for instance :-))

*@ Hank: awaiting the Pulse, too :-)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2015, 11:21 am »
Welcome back Brian.  Has it been that long?  Glad you found a good room (as you know most over equip the available room).  FLAC is still in use and viable.  Surprised that you still have the Rossi modded SB (my SB had problems from the start, and like others didn't notice any improvement from battery power - power always being a local issue, so dumped it).  Vinyl is still around, but CD players have mostly gone to the computer route:

1.)  Purpose built music servers (that are self supporting or need a computer/HD) for the high end; dedicated Apple mini for many (with or without various tweaks) can also be very good; then other multi-tasking computers for the rest of us.  Modern (improved versions of the SB) exist that mostly live near the lower end of the spectrum.

2.)  Software from JRiver, to Pure Music, to Audirvana, to just plain old iTunes are the most popular from my readings.

3.)  Formats have expanded from PCM to DXD and DSD at higher bit and frequency rates showing up all the time although the lions share of material thats available is still Redbook.  And clean power is still an important consideration for computer and DAC.

4.)  DACs vary the most and improving the fastest (seemingly making everything obsolete), from $100 tiny plug-ins to your USB port to five figure two box rigs, many with tubes.  So you pick based on sound quality, price, formats supported, inputs, service/build, and chip/design.

So as you might expect, the source arena has gotten wider and more complex.  All this without being any more convenient or elegant than your SB - conceptually still a triumph of good design IMO.  And it seems to me, like too many products in many industries, that the SB was right at the cusp of getting the kinks worked out in its operating experience with good sound quality and ideal convenience when the plug got pulled.  Too bad.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2015, 09:00 pm »
 I'm running FLAC from a PC to Squeezebox here also but I only use the Squeeze as a "transport" and dump the digital out to a good DAC.

Best DAC so far is a Music Hall 25.3 with a bunch of mods in it.  But...I've had four so my DAC experience is a bit limited.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2015, 09:14 pm »
When I connect my iphone or ipod to the system it goes through a Nuforce ico ido. This little device is mainly used to strip the digital signal off the idevice and use the on board dac for headphone listening. It has a very decent headphone amp. But what makes it special is it also offers a digital out which can be run through a better (?) dac as well as a analogue out. Very versatile little device.

byteme

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2015, 09:15 pm »
Hey Bunky!!  Long time my friend :)

Thanks for all the tips!  I discovered last night while playing around that my squeezebox has an issue that a few years ago I may have wrongly attributed to my DAC so I'm going to contact RWA and see about getting it fixed.  Now that Logitech does a really nice job of pulling in iTunes playlists, etc, should make it easier to keep everything sync'd.

The squeezbox issue is that it seems like the mids all the way up to the highs sound "crunchy" or staticky (ya, not a word!)  :scratch: I tried it with different interconnects, different inputs to the deHavilland, same issue. 

If I can get it fixed I'd like to use it as I was in the past, simply as a "transport" running coax out to my Scott Nixon tubedac.

Eugene2

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2015, 04:48 pm »
Fun hobby and these blogs are very helpful there are some very knowledgeable and technically wise people.  I have picked a lot up on Audiocircle since meeting Klaus several years ago.  Well enough of that I just revamped my system the front end is a PS Audio PWT and DSD and am waiting delivery of a Antipodes DS music server, hope it's as good as everyone says it is.  The great thing is I can load all my CDs on the internal drive and get rid of the clutter... :lol:

lazydays

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2015, 09:24 pm »
turntable, turntable, turntable, and some other things.
gary

BobC

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2015, 01:53 pm »
Sold my Logitech Touch and Cambridge Audio DAC Magic....and bought a Bluesound Node.  I've got a Schiit Gungnir on order.

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2015, 02:29 pm »
Hi all,
I use almost exclusively my Rega Apollo player as a source,
maybe one day I will make the jump into computer music stuff,
but not for now, I am not just ready yet.

Guy 13
Te semi old fashion guy.

Pneumonic

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2015, 02:52 pm »
One of the best two things I have ever done in my audio hobby is sell off my CD players and replaced them with an audio server that streams music. It has opened up a whole new world of listening enjoyment for me.

Between my ripped CD's and my digitized vinyl, I am now listening to music I had forgotten I had. Combined with listening to a plethora of online streaming sites, the variety and amount of music my ears have access too is staggering and not something I could partake in had I not employed an audio server. 

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2015, 02:56 pm »
I use a personal computer that I built as my source.  It has the ASUS Xonar Essence XTS sound card in it. 

I've been very happy with it.  It sounds significantly better than my Yamaha and Denon CD players that I was using.

HsvHeelFan

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2015, 09:09 pm »
Using an Esoteric Audio SACD Player, dedicated laptop used as music server with a 2tb usb3 hard drive ..J Rivers Software..Wyred4Sound Dac, VPI Turntable with moving coil cartridge & Magnum Dynalab MD-90 FM Tuner.

c.coyle

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2015, 12:00 pm »
I'm two channel. PC into Schiit Modi DAC into various vintage amps I have fixed up.  I play flacs via Foobar and stream radio stations.  I also have a few vintage tuners that I use for local over the air stations.

Hadro

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2015, 03:50 pm »
Laptop, external drive, JRiver.  Wonderful! control everything from my chair with android or ipad. Mostly flac and aiff files all at fuil res. :D

firedog

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2015, 01:57 pm »
I'm using a fanless music server, a USB DAC, and JRiver, controlled by the JRemote app on an iPad.

A good replacement for the SB would be the Sonore Rendu, Signature Rendu, or Oribter. Or the SOtM mini server. These "players" basically directly replace the digital functionality of the SB, and you use a tablet or a phone as the user interface.

As far as a DAC, it depends on your budget. You can get a very good one for relatively little money these days: the iFi DACs, the small Meridian DACs, the Resonessnece Herus. These will play all the different rates and formats available today, and they sound good.

If you want to spend serious money there are extremely good sounding DACs starting at about $800 and going to infinity (almost). But some great ones in the $600-$1000 range and the $1000-$2000 range. Too many good ones to mention.

Oystein

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2015, 01:58 pm »
I have all my music ripped to NAS.
Using a Beaglebone Black as mini PC running MPD controlled by MPad on my iPad.
USB out to a Lindemann USB DAC and from there into my pre-amp.

soundbitten1

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jan 2015, 02:34 pm »
Laptop files and Arcam Apha MCD changer played through the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 dac and Dunalvy Athethas. Also running the television through it which is all controlled by the remote while sitting on the couch. The dac also serves duty as a preamp and a headphone amp (dual outputs) when quiet is needed. It's a simple, versatile, great sounding set-up that meets all my needs.