Poll

Where do you find most new companies that manufacture audio gear (cables, speakers, amps, dacs)

Online Review Mags
0 (0%)
Forums
8 (88.9%)
Google
0 (0%)
Audio Get togethers
0 (0%)
Print Magazines
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: 8 Mar 2015, 09:19 pm

Where do you guys (and gals?) find new gear companies?

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
Not sure where this fits circle wise, admin feel free to move it appropriately.  Other than the AC, which seems to be a good place but has gone stagnant on new gear lately.  Where does everyone go to find new gear?  Audio Magazines, review sites, random google searches, G2Gs?

My brand awareness has gotten kind of narrow lately as I have sworn off AVS forum, and only lightly read online review mags.  Just trying to see if there is a best place to keep up with to see new trends and exciting new brands in audio, I like to try and catch stuff before it gets too expensive so I like to catch good companies hot off the presses.

steve f

Re: Where do you guys (and gals?) find new gear companies?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2015, 10:07 pm »
Magazines are mostly good for pretty pictures. Forums are my favorite source. We get to discuss things with mostly friendly people.

Steve

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Where do you guys (and gals?) find new gear companies?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2015, 10:33 pm »
I'm not quite sure where this belongs either, but I don't mind its being here. [JohnR may decide otherwise though.]

I've been haunting DIY Audio, Meniscus Audio, Madisound, Computer Audio, and Parts Express Tech Talk forums for ideas on speakers /subwoofers mostly, but also DACs and preamps.

I've found some interesting items by clicking on the advertisers on 6Moons, Dagogo, etc. Less often, I'll see what is happening on Mandarin Chinese websites. It requires a lot more effort on my part (my Chinese isn't as good as it once was), but I get exposed to stuff that either doesn't exist here or is considered very esoteric in N. America.

Oh, my wife hates this one, but every time we travel, I make a point of checking out audio shops just to see if there are interesting wares. I try to arrange for her to shop while I do this.

I have a pair of two-way speakers, 'Adelphos', designed by Jeff Bagby and sold by Meniscus Audio that are amazing. Now that they have fully broken in, I wouldn't hesitate to compare them to Revelator/Ring Radiator stand mounts. I say this because I just listened to a pair in Vancouver BC last week. That pair was made with a 5.5" Revelator/Vifa Ring Radiator tweeter driven by a Rogue Audio hybrid int. amp (100W/ch) which is reasonably similar to my AVA 400R. If you're looking for 2-way stand mounts for approximately $1000, either the Adelphos or the Kairos will satisfy. The Kairos has a slanted front baffle while the Adelphos have vertical front baffles.

Our audio world keeps changing and shrinking.