New Audeze EL-8 Debuting at CES 2015!

ajzepp

New Audeze EL-8 Debuting at CES 2015!
« on: 6 Jan 2015, 11:16 pm »
This is very exciting...I'm a huge fan of Audeze phones, and this is going to be HUGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VbKHYQj8BU

vortrex

Re: New Audeze EL-8 Debuting at CES 2015!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2015, 11:24 pm »
I guess I'm the one person, according to that video review, who thinks they look crappy and cheap.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2015, 11:52 pm »

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2015, 12:21 am »
I guess I'm the one person, according to that video review, who thinks they look crappy and cheap.

+2... :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2015, 01:41 am »
Who cares what someone else thinks it looks like. If it performs as well as expected, then at the retail price it IS cheap!  :o :lol:

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2015, 02:53 am »
The closed version will be increible.....Now the questions is whether it will be powered from a regular Iphone jack or not.  Not that anyone will use THESE headphones on the go....on a subway and the like.  It is ginormous.  jajajajaj

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2015, 05:58 pm »
This is very exciting...I'm a huge fan of Audeze phones, and this is going to be HUGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VbKHYQj8BU
This guy talks too fast hard to follow it.
Of course not a beautiful phones as the big brothers.
The driver connector also looks strange it pcb related.
Looks good not remove many time this cable.

When HifiMan sell the HE400 for just $299($250 at the past Black Friday) hard to buy this for $700!

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2015, 07:35 pm »
Who cares what someone else thinks it looks like. If it performs as well as expected, then at the retail price it IS cheap!  :o :lol:

It'll be very interesting to see where it lands among other planar phones in terms of performance. I'm not a HifiMan guy, but I love that we have both them and Audeze competing for the same market share, pushing each other to advance the planar landscape. Exciting times!

FireGuy

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2015, 08:51 pm »
I'm not a HifiMan guy, but I love that we have both them and Audeze competing for the same market share, pushing each other to advance the planar landscape. Exciting times!

Excellent point.  Unlike today's health industry - competition always favors the consumer.  And in many ways the vendors as well.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2015, 08:58 pm »
Excellent point.  Unlike today's health industry - competition always favors the consumer.  And in many ways the vendors as well.

Absolutely. As a huge Magnepan fan, I was trying to find a comfort level with a planar headphone from the time I started up with this side of the hobby (late 2011) up until the Fall of 2013. Finally I pulled the trigger on some Audezes and it's been wonderful, but today there are LOTS of choices out there at various price points for those wanting to dabble in this technology. Lots of fun :)

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2015, 11:54 pm »
I think these are very nice looking, but a good studio photog can make a box of Twinkies look nice. Cheap? Have to see 'em up close and personal. If the wood grain comes off looking like the interior trim in a '73 Impala, that could be blecch. Think I prefer the black trim regardless, just looking at photos. But if Audeze and Hfiman want to send me a pair of EL-8's and 560's, respectively, I will share my impressions here  :roll:
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2015, 02:09 am by dB Cooper »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jan 2015, 03:32 am »
They aren't horrible looking to me and the price point is excellent considering all the R & D involved.......I better sell some of mine to make room...these sur e are super tempting. Zepp your in for a pair correct?? Are they ordered yet? hehehehe....I hope you get some so we can all hear them through your posts.....lol...thats heavy huh....thanks for the inffo AJ....when are they buyable..anyone know yet???

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 8 Jan 2015, 05:06 am »

+1.. :thumb:,you're still my favorite.. :green:
traditional headphones sound better and are better priced... :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jan 2015, 07:51 am »
They aren't horrible looking to me and the price point is excellent considering all the R & D involved.......I better sell some of mine to make room...these sur e are super tempting. Zepp your in for a pair correct?? Are they ordered yet? hehehehe....I hope you get some so we can all hear them through your posts.....lol...thats heavy huh....thanks for the inffo AJ....when are they buyable..anyone know yet???

Yo Edwardo!  :thumb:

I'm in for a pair if the closed version gets rave reviews. I'm already set with an open Audeze, but would love to pick up the closed EL-8. Waiting to hear more feedback on them. Looks like Audeze site has them for pre-order, but it doesn't list a shipping/available date yet. Some guys on the other forum mentioned late Feb?

Usually Audeze doesn't pull an Oppo and announce something a year before it's actually available...they're pretty good about waiting until it's ready for prime time before sounding the trumpets. I respect them for that.

dminches

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2015, 12:09 pm »
+1.. :thumb:,you're still my favorite.. :green:
traditional headphones sound better and are better priced... :thumb:

Have you listened to them?

Eugene2

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2015, 04:21 pm »
Digital Trends seems to think they are very good.  The head band is being tweaked due to excessive force 4 lbs to a more comfortable 2.  http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/audeze-el8-planar-magnetic-headphones-affordable-audiophile/
Moon Audio taking preorders April May delivery.  http://www.moon-audio.com/headphones/audeze-el-8-closed-back.html?redirect_mongo_id=54aefd573835310011150000
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2015, 01:12 pm by Eugene2 »

FireGuy

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jan 2015, 05:53 pm »
Would like to hear these and the HiFiMan HE400 on a side-by-side.  As stated earlier in this thread, I'll go with the HE400 for now and save some cash.  Got em coming in on Jan 18th.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 9 Jan 2015, 11:16 am »
Would like to hear these and the HiFiMan HE400 on a side-by-side.  As stated earlier in this thread, I'll go with the HE400 for now and save some cash.  Got em coming in on Jan 18th.
The stock Canare cable is too long(3 meters) and not great sound, if possible upgrade to Silver or Copper/Silver 1,5M balanced.

I use the inexpensive Silver/Copper Head-Direct now out of line.
Velour pads also is a upgrade.

FireGuy

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jan 2015, 10:17 pm »
The stock Canare cable is too long(3 meters) and not great sound, if possible upgrade to Silver or Copper/Silver 1,5M balanced.

I use the inexpensive Silver/Copper Head-Direct now out of line.
Velour pads also is a upgrade.

Upgrade noted...thanks for the insight.

CIAudio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2015, 02:04 am »
I saw and heard them thursday at CES.
They look nice, are comfortable, and sound great.
I listened to the closed back version, and to my recollection they sound as good as the LCD-X.
The wood looked nice, but less of it and a dulled finish in comparison to the LCD series.

I think it's a winner given the price point.