Anyone have a DODD or MAD pre w/ Stratos?

firestic

« on: 17 Sep 2004, 03:24 pm »
I'm considering an entry level tube preamp to breed w/ my new Stratos. The Mapletree and Dodd seem simple enough (only need 1 input currently). Do any of you Odyssey owners here have or have had one of these and could you steer me one way or the other?

scooby_scrappy

« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2004, 04:23 pm »
I tested several preamps for my stratos.  One preamp I tested was the $500 dodd preamp about a year ago.  There was a humming sound coming from my speakers.  I work with gary and we were not able to resolve the problem.

The one I finally selected was the tempest.  When klaus says synergy synergy believe him.  My main audio system is complete with odyssey gear.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2004, 04:43 pm »
cheap dodd pre on agon right now.  

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1100613217

i'd strongly recommend *anything* based on melos designs.  melos gear is fantastic.  i'd also recommend tubed preamplification over s/s preamplification in general...

doug s.

DrRasta

MAD
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2004, 03:12 pm »
I have a version of the 4A.  Put some Auricaps in it (not the full SE version) and it sounded great with my Stratos monos.  Not quite the detail and resolution of my BAT vk5 se preamp but great soundstaging and a classic tube midrange.  Recommended.

byteme

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2004, 02:50 am »
Even if I didn't have this for sale I'd still HIGHLY recommend the Philly Audio preamp.  I had mine mated with the Stratos Stereo extreme for over 1.5 years and really love it.  Great detail, musicality, emotion and never got tired of listening to it.  A huge amount of sound for a little bit of dough!