2009-Mini vs 2010-Mini vs 2013-MacBook Air ???

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
2009-Mini vs 2010-Mini vs 2013-MacBook Air ???
« on: 6 Jan 2015, 05:01 pm »
I'm new to disc-less audio playback.
My beautifully modded "Ric Shultz (EVS) Oppo" player died a month ago. As I no longer live the life that would allow me to financial replace it, I started looking into a DAC & computer setup.
I have lots of different computers both Windows & Apple, but no Mini's. I do have a 2013 MacBook Air that I am using for audio with the DAC.
And I am using a trial of Amarra 3.0 software.
After some research I bought the Musical Fidelity V90-DAC. Currently using just a cheep USB cable.
I've given it about a week of burn-in, and it's sounding pretty good.
Still have some tweeking to do.

My question is, will I get much improvement in
2009-Mini vs
2010-Mini vs
2013-MacBook Air
Or ???

The above items feed:
Audible Illusion tube Pre (modded)
PSE II Amps (modded)
Magnapan MG-IIIa speakers (modded)
Various cables and wires ($$$)

Oh, and yes, I'm the person who built the GR research OB-5's in the avatar.  :D

avta

Re: 2009-Mini vs 2010-Mini vs 2013-MacBook Air ???
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2015, 05:16 pm »
Do any of them have a SSD?

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2015, 05:20 pm »
Do any of them have a SSD?
Yes, the MacBook Air has a SSD (solid-state-drive). And for me, its not hard to replace a spinning HD with a SSD.

avta

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2015, 05:27 pm »
I would think the 2009 Mac Mini with a SSD would be a good option. It has the possible advantage of an external power supply. Others may chime in with their preferences. I'm not certain however that you would notice a significant improvement in sound with this change although it's possible.

lextek

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2015, 08:50 pm »
From what I've read with the Minis the way to go was an SSD for the OS and external drive( non-USB) for the music files.  I don't think people noticed a difference in audio with files on SSD.  Myself have noticed a much better sound quality from my 2014 Min/Audivarna vs. black Mackbook/Audivarna.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2015, 10:11 pm »
Computer audio experts (not me) say the server (whatever you call it) come in 3 levels: dedicated (built from the ground up) music servers, minis, and everything else.  The main advantage of the mini in my mind is similar to listening in rectangular rooms (maybe not the ideal, but a well known quantity). 

If money is tight I'd keep the MacBook and invest in better USB cable/DAC first.  Later you can upgrade to a mini or even a dedicated server.  OTOH if you're handy, you could build a CAP (dedicated server, see computer audio.com).

I've been referred to Mojo-Audio.com for the mini.  They have lots of experience with older mini's (external power supply) and newer (internal power supply).  But their solutions aren't cheap (a fully loaded/modded mini could run nearly $4000 plus monitor/controller, USB cable, and DAC).  However lessons can be learned (recommended drives, stripping your computer of non-essential programs, etc.).

I just got a new 4GB/256GB MacBook Air to use for business, around the house, and for audio (currently using an iMac via 35 foot Toslink cable).  Haven't picked up software yet (just using iTunes) but will sometime soon.  Using it from my listening chair I'll be able to live with a 3 meter USB cable (shorter is recommended) without having to get out off my lazy butt or add another device for control.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2015, 10:49 pm »
You might also want to trial Jriver Media Center and HQplayer for playback.

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2015, 04:09 pm »
You might also want to trial Jriver Media Center and HQplayer for playback.

Thanks everyone.
I tried Jriver and did not like it, I thought Amarra was much better and ended up buying it.
I'm very happy with the sound of my system, although I have not heard other DACs in my system, I think the V90 is pretty good.
My system has never sounded better.

I'm now investigating all the info I can find on building my own USB cable.

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:16 pm »
I'm now investigating all the info I can find on building my own USB cable.

Just made a nice simple tweak to my junk USB starter cable that you might find interesting.
Posted about it here on Audioforums, in the The Path of Least Resistance circle.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=131898.0