Going old school...which GR speaker for my turntable setup?

Danny Richie

Re: Going old school...which GR speaker for my turntable setup?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Dec 2014, 07:54 pm »
Danny, I'd like to go with the Wedgie (we really need to rename that!)  ;) and the forthcoming base that you design. In the meanwhile, I will just listen to my "new" turntable on my N3-TLs. Do you see any issues with the way Mike and Jay were describing how I would have to wire up the old Denon for the OB pairs eventually?  Also, I would love to hear any other thoughts or suggestions you might have. If the Denon won't do the speakers justice, what would?  I could pass down the Denon to my daughter for her college apartment and get something more appropriate if needed.

Thanks Danny and Happy New Year!

My customers came up with the name. It has stuck for now.

When I get the base finished up then I'll officially release it all on my web site.

You can drive the Wedgie full range and just utilize the natural roll off. Since the sensitivity is so high they will not likely get much power anyway. Still, an inline filter will keep them from ever seeing the lower ranges and will bring some advantages to the table.

And BTW, these amps sound great! http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124981.msg1317309  And they were dirt cheap to make. They started out at only $6.00 a piece. To take them up to the level I have them at cost me about $80 in parts. These amps are perfect for the upper section of the Wedgie.

bdp24

« Reply #21 on: 30 Dec 2014, 12:10 am »
As Mike says above, I think you'd be fine at  lowe/moderate levels.   Trying to play those lower frequencies at louder levels on the wedgies, may cause destortion.  I really can't see this being an issue in a small room like you originally mention though.
Also , by  high passing only the frequencies youwant the wedgies to play (say  above 175hz-200hz),  you're  going to  take a lot of load off the  amp driving them so again,  you'd be  getting  a cleaner signal to the wedgies, there fore cleaner from the wedgies..

I know this is stating the obviouis but   that's  assuming the plate amp(s) have  high level inputs, I'm sure there are still a few  out there that don't.

-jay
This is the perfect moment to point out that anyone planning to hook-up their speakers using high-level inputs on their sub plate amp(s) should NOT get either version of the Servo amp with balanced ins & outs---those two versions don't have speaker binding posts.
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2014, 10:29 pm by bdp24 »

grimace

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2015, 08:42 pm »
Got the turntable setup and it sounds great. Question though....when I'm listening to it thru my old Denon Integrated Amp with the N3-TLs, the woofers are moving very visibly even at low sound levels. The sound is fine, but am a little concerned about it.  Do I need to be?

I double checked and the turntable is grounded to the amp and the cartridge switch is set to MM, which is correct. A CD source playing thru the same amp and N3s does not have the same effect.

Thanks

### Nevermind, figured it out. Was one LP that is warped.  Played a few others and no oscillation at all ###
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2015, 11:02 pm by grimace »

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2015, 11:20 pm »
Some LP's will pass some really low signals like that. So a rumble filter is sometimes needed.