Is a first generation Mac Mini Power PC any good for audio?

thotfulspot

I can probably answer my own question, but I was cleaning out my office today and came across my first generation PowerPC Mac Mini. Is it worth anything as a music server. We just moved and I'm setting up a home theatero system. I've got a squeezebox I was planning on using for my very large music library. I was going to feed it from my 2009 Mini on my desk or my Synology NAS.

Any reason to try the old Mini, or just use the newer equipment?

JohnR

Re: Is a first generation Mac Mini Power PC any good for audio?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2014, 11:37 am »
It could work but it sounds like you have easier ways to get it done...

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2014, 02:30 pm »
Can you upgrade the ram ?

If you can, that would help.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2014, 05:16 pm »
I had one for a while.  I had a 2GB RAM version.  It was fine, but could not upgrade the OS to a newer one that would allow me to play with better sounding s/w than iTunes.  I wanted to run some thing else. 

It was cheap and did the trick but I moved back to Windows and run a dedicated 2GB RAM netbook.  Runs all I need. 

thotfulspot

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2014, 11:38 pm »
Can you upgrade the ram ?

If you can, that would help.

It's maxed on Ram already. I do that on all the Mac products I buy. The limitation I'm more concerned about is audio software that will run on it.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2014, 01:38 am »
If you're not determined to keep it on OSX, which would limit you to 10.5 if Core Duo or 10.6 if Core 2, might wanna investigate Yellow Dog Linux which is designed for PowerPC CPUs. This might give you better (or at least different) options than what you can run on the native OS. Few developers are still trying to fish in the long-dried-up PPC pond.

thotfulspot

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2014, 07:29 am »
I haven't played around Yellow Dog in a while. My goal is to not run the server software for my Squeezebox Touch on my desktop. I also have a Synology NAS I can use. I have a lot of 24/192 live shows (Dead, Phish, etc) that I want to play and I can use the Touch to play. I have a earlier Squeezebox with all the bells and whistles including a battery power source, but it won't play the high resolution stuff. I'm going to have to find the best option. If I can use hardware I have without buying something else.