What DAC to Pair with Dayton DTA-120?

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: What DAC to Pair with Dayton DTA-120?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2014, 05:09 am »
I would rather have the Maverick D-1 classic  over the HiFi Me and up grade the op amps for $10.  I think you can buy it for $129.  I bought a HiFiMe DAC for my daughter to use with her Nexus 7 and it does not work.

http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index.php/dac/tube-magic-dac-d1-2.html?SID=jjv8v4eqvk1gqmlihji8ikcpb2

It's a great except if you want to use it for usb.  The newer D1 Plus or D-2 would be the way to go for the improved USB section.

If you just need a DAC for USB, get a Dragon Fly.  I bought Version 1 for my son and it sounds great.  Here is one on sale-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00882U782/ref=dra_a_rv_lb_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay-20&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda

DS-21

« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2014, 02:53 pm »
[The Dayton DTA-120] performs well for what it is.***

I disagree with that assertion. It is simply not a high-fidelity amplifier, unless you're driving speakers that are resistive loads, because its frequency response will track the impedance curve of the driven loudspeaker. A high-fidelity amplifier will have flat frequency response regardless of the driven load.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #22 on: 31 Dec 2014, 06:40 pm »
I disagree with that assertion. It is simply not a high-fidelity amplifier, unless you're driving speakers that are resistive loads, because its frequency response will track the impedance curve of the driven loudspeaker. A high-fidelity amplifier will have flat frequency response regardless of the driven load.

That may be so, but the little DTA still sounds good for its price and what it was intended for.  I have the 100a and it has tight powerful bass and airy sound with a wide sound stage.  I paid $59 on sale and it was the best $59 I have spent.  Connected to a good source and a pair of Monitor Audi S1's it sounds pretty good.  Certainly not hifi but definitely mid fi. 

Can it hold a candle next to my Pass amp, BAT preamp and Magnepan speakers, no! But it is certainly enjoyable to listen too and that's what it is all about.

srb

« Reply #23 on: 31 Dec 2014, 07:46 pm »
But it is certainly enjoyable to listen too and that's what it is all about.

Apparently if it doesn't measure well on paper, there's no way it might be enjoyable to listen to.  You just think it is.   ;)

BTW, I have a Scythe Kama Bay Kro SDA-1100 amp (Yamaha YDA-138 Class D chipset) that within the scope of its 10W/ch output I also find enjoyable to listen to and well worth the $40 cost.  I admit I never looked at any frequency response graphs.

Steve

DS-21

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jan 2015, 11:50 pm »
Apparently if it doesn't measure well on paper, there's no way it might be enjoyable to listen to.  You just think it is.   ;)

Please read better. There is no way a competent English speaker could have extracted that from my posts.

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jan 2015, 09:27 am »
You can also look into the ODAC ($100/150). I've been using one for years and it's really nice.