Is a hot amp normal when nothing is on?

mcody

« on: 16 Sep 2004, 03:29 am »
Klaus and I had ran into a problem with components failing in the amp that runs the center channel and right channel of my set up. The other day I noticed how hot the amp was with no signal at all, so I unhooked the center channel and left the amp only hooked to the single right.

Things cooled down after that but I wonder what could be wrong with my center. It is has active woofers but passive mid and tweets (Stratos) but they should but on such a minimal load that they should NEVER warm the amp.

I do notice that the center channel emits a very noticable HUM.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what could have failed in the speaker that would cause 2 amps to burn up and create the hum?

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2004, 06:44 pm »
check with a multimeter if you have a short in your center channel (cable, speaker, who knows)

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2004, 06:57 am »
Maybe temperature and hum is because of a voltage issue...

KarlDL

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2004, 03:27 pm »
Perhaps the side of your amp used for the center channel has excessive output DC offset or is biased excessively.  Both parameters are adjustable internally and, if incorrect, could cause and/or contribute to your heating problem (not to mention some deterioration in sonics).  If you or a friend are competent at electronics troubleshooting, these aren't difficult to check & adjust.  Otherwise, send the amp back to Klaus for a checkout.

Karl