6SN7 Gold Pin EH Cryo

Bigfishhk

6SN7 Gold Pin EH Cryo
« on: 12 Dec 2014, 03:22 am »
I am looking for a nice sounding, really low noise pair of 6sn7 for my Rogue 99 pre amp.

Has anyone heard these- 6SN7 Gold Pin EH Cryo's?

I have OS Sylvania, tungSol, Raytheons. They are great sounding tubes but I get too much tube rushing noise or microphonics from all of them. Whereas my standard Electro Harmonix are quieter. Since one of my standard EH tubes has gone bad I need to pick up a couple of new 6sn7's and thought to try the Cryo gold pin EH from Cryoset.
the price is $70 plus 10% discount. I do not want to spend more than 80 bucks the pair so other new production such as Psvane Treasure , Create Audio are over my budget.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_42&products_id=61&osCsid=e4m0cjj2bnkg77k74htqu0s6g7

thanks

Tom
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2014, 04:27 am by Bigfishhk »

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate

Bigfishhk

Re: 6SN7 Gold Pin EH Cryo
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2014, 04:48 am »
what about these?
https://www.tubedepot.com/products/tung-sol-6sn7gt-new-production-preamp-vacuum-tube
How do they compare to the EH? The EH I have heard in my pre amp are quiet.
Tx

marvda1

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2014, 04:53 am »
I have only heard them in the yaqin mc100b integrated amp replacing the stock Chinese tubes.
they have a big open sound and the amp is dead quiet.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2014, 05:12 am »
You can find 5692 tubes for around $100/pair, I have both Sylvania and RCA, they look and sound identical but the RCA red base tubes command a premium. They are a heavy duty tube originally used in Howitzers, the reinforced internal structure makes for a very quiet tube. They are probably much more reliable and longer lasting than any new production tube.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2014, 10:22 am »
I am looking for a nice sounding, really low noise pair of 6sn7 for my Rogue 99 pre amp.

Has anyone heard these- 6SN7 Gold Pin EH Cryo's?

I have OS Sylvania, tungSol, Raytheons. They are great sounding tubes but I get too much tube rushing noise or microphonics from all of them. Whereas my standard Electro Harmonix are quieter. Since one of my standard EH tubes has gone bad I need to pick up a couple of new 6sn7's and thought to try the Cryo gold pin EH from Cryoset.
the price is $70 plus 10% discount. I do not want to spend more than 80 bucks the pair so other new production such as Psvane Treasure , Create Audio are over my budget.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_42&products_id=61&osCsid=e4m0cjj2bnkg77k74htqu0s6g7

thanks

Tom
This cryo liquid nitrogen is useless for audio tubes.
The real cryo process suited for tubes are hydrogen liquid.
But these tubes are not expensive for a US broker so...

Bigfishhk

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2014, 01:56 pm »
This cryo liquid nitrogen is useless for audio tubes.
The real cryo process suited for tubes are hydrogen liquid.
But these tubes are not expensive for a US broker so...

how about gold pin- is there any real advantage?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2014, 02:30 pm »
how about gold pin- is there any real advantage?
Yes if its real gold (never rust).
But no tube factory use expensive real gold.
The golden colour from the pins are a alloy from other metals to show the gold colour.

marvda1

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2014, 02:34 pm »
check upscale audio, they will cryo tubes and it looks like they can beat that $70.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2014, 03:18 pm »
check upscale audio, they will cryo tubes and it looks like they can beat that $70.

Just spoke with Rogue and have decided to go with a pair of low noise thoroughly checked out NOS sylvania's. Slightly over my budget but the potential for low noise plus superior sonics swayed me.

I guess my old stock tubes (bought fairly cheaply I must admit) just aren't as good condition as hopefully the next pair are..

Well, I will find out shortly!

thanks
Tom

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2014, 03:53 pm »
I know you have said a budget of 80 and this is way over it but, FYI, I am really impressed with Shugang Treasure CV 181z.  Compared to the best NOS Sylvania, RCA and Tung Sol 6SN7 and variants, these stood out like these were on PEDs.  I mean the sound was juiced.  It was like espresso vs regular coffee -- so much denser.  It may not be for all applications but as input tubes on a SET amp, they are the best I have tried so far.  Everything tightened up and got richer in texture.  :thumb:

I like them to the point of ordering 2 more pairs for other applications.  That is an endorsement. 

Bigfishhk

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2014, 04:14 pm »
I know you have said a budget of 80 and this is way over it but, FYI, I am really impressed with Shugang Treasure CV 181z.  Compared to the best NOS Sylvania, RCA and Tung Sol 6SN7 and variants, these stood out like these were on PEDs.  I mean the sound was juiced.  It was like espresso vs regular coffee -- so much denser.  It may not be for all applications but as input tubes on a SET amp, they are the best I have tried so far.  Everything tightened up and got richer in texture.  :thumb:

I like them to the point of ordering 2 more pairs for other applications.  That is an endorsement.
would love to hear those..have heard great things.  they are out my budget though. for close to half I'm getting hand picked tested NOS Sylvania's, recomended highly by guys at Rogue.. so I assume they sound nice in thier gear..   btw how long have you been using the Treasures? I read somewhere that some of the premium Black Treasures sounded amazing but not long lasting.. The range of people's experiences with tubes is so different however that I expect this may be vastly different for you than those with the complaints!!

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2014, 05:25 pm »
These are expensive, but for new production they're among the best available (new or old). They are extremely clean and detailed, particularly for 6SN7's. They still have that 6SN7 tone / magic too.
http://www.aloaudio.com/6sn7-create-audio