Next Get Together

Scott F.

Next Get Together
« on: 15 Sep 2004, 02:15 pm »
Hiya Guys,

I guess it's time to start thinking about the next get together. I was thinking about something a little different this time. Rather than gathering at somebodies house to listen, how about we go somewhere and check out some live music?

What I was thinking about is something like whats going on down at the Botanical Gardens this Saturday. It's called Rhapsody in Bloom. Between 10 and 3 they have all kinds of different groups performing. The St Louis Philharmonic (Hey Mark thats you isn't it?), Classical Guitar Society, Arianna String Quartet (these guys are great), Gateway (choral) Singers, and lots more.
http://www.classic99.com/rhap04.htm

We could bring our wives and family to the event (where ever it may be).

We could get out and take advantage of the (upcoming) beautiful weather. Maybe hit some of the winery's (Willie are you playing any coming up?).

Something along those lines. We've got a couple of months of really nice weather ahead. Cool days and crisp nights. Might be nice to get out with our wives (or girlfriends) and enjoy St Louis in the fall. We don't have to do anything in a rush. We've got some time.

Why don't we all cruise our favorite local music or eatery links, maybe the RFT and see whats coming up. We could even do a couple of outings to cover the guys that can't make the first one.

Classic 99 (the link above) has some great links to local musical and theatrical organizations. Heck, we could even go listen to some the big Kilgen Organ at the Cathedral or catch a play. Nothing is out of bounds.

Waddia tink?

Mike D

Next Get Together
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2004, 03:53 pm »
I think we should all meet at the Jewel Box. :o

Mike D

Next Get Together
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2004, 03:58 pm »
And yes, of course I am talking about the one in Forest Park.  What were YOU thinking!?

But seriously, the Jewel Box in Forest Park, if I remember right, is what got me started in the high end audio world.  If this is the place I remember, I went there with a friend's family and heard Atrium Sound for the first time.   The place was okay, but the sound made me melt.  I'll never forget it.  I was miniature at the time so my memory is probably exaggerated exponentially.  The whole Forest Park area is a cool place that I never get a chance to visit.  If we could get a day, we could do a Forest Park tour of some kind.  The Botanical Gardens, Jewel Box, Museums, all of it.

My underlying question is, would we like that as much as hanging in somebody's basement?  The wives would certainly dig it.

pjchappy

Next Get Together
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2004, 07:46 pm »
This Saturday I'm going to the Schlafly brewery Hop in the City.  It starts around 12:00 I think.

Going to see Wilco tonight at the Fox. . .can't wait!!!!

p

Blackmore

Saturday
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2004, 06:31 pm »
I'll be in Farmington, Mo at a marching band competition on Saturday.  My band will be performing portions of the Planets by Holst.  Can you have more fun than that?????

steve k

Next Get Together
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2004, 06:55 pm »
Mark,
I hope they're doing "Mars".  :rock:

Saturday, the kids have martial arts sessions, guitar lessons and a softball tournament. We also have a sick dog who is getting a treatment and three different medications every day. Then there's the grass that needs cutting and other normal running around things. Count me out. :cry:  :bawl:
steve

G

Next Get Together
« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2004, 10:43 am »
Quote from: Mike D
I think we should all meet at the Jewel Box. :o

I'm with Mike :D. Unfortunately I will be working so I will have to pass. I expect a good write up on it though  :| .

electricbear

Next Get Together
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2004, 04:03 pm »
Being Scottish I find it rather difficult to resist a good beer but unfortunately I have to spend my saturday as I normally do , trying to convert neophites from buying a " surround a sound " and getting them to buy something that is actually worthwhile. It sometimes feels like a worthless cause until you do get that 1 person who does get the big picture. :)

steve k

Next Get Together
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2004, 05:41 pm »
Tim,
Did you get the Avalons yet?
steve

sturgus

Next Get Together
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2004, 03:06 am »
Hey Steve did you get the new speakers?
Sturgus