lextek

Blumenstein Orcas
« on: 12 Dec 2014, 12:25 am »
Anybody have experience with these?

http://www.blumensteinaudio.com

borism

Re: Blumenstein Orcas
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2014, 03:27 pm »
While I don't have personal experience with these speakers, I know that people on the Bottlehead forum are very fond of them paired with low power SET amps.
You may want to look there for additional information.

vortrex

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2014, 04:10 pm »
I've had those, their most expensive model.  They're alright I guess.  I'd use them for a bedroom or computer system.  They're not really anything serious if you are looking for top notch sound.  I think the cheap Pioneers you can get off Amazon for sometimes as low as $69 are just as good or better.

If you are only listening to vocals or acoustic they can be quite good.  Once you venture into rock or other genres I think they lose it.

lextek

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2014, 12:27 am »
I've spent some time on the Bottlehead forums.  That's how I came across the Orcas.  Built a Crack and love it.  Just playing around with speakers for a "music room"=small spare bedroom.  Picked up a NAD 326BEE cheap on Craigslist.  Some vintage Pardigm Atoms, redid the surrounds.  Using Tidal, Audivarna, AppleTV and CDS as sources.  There's a DAC in there too.
   Looking at B&W 685, Totem DreamCatchers and Kef LS50s.  Kind of all over the place.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:22 am »
Don't know if I could live with a speaker that only got down to 75 - 90 Hz beyond desktop use and they seem a bit expensive, not all that efficient frankly, and kinda big for that.  Suggested alternatives:

KEF X300A are $850/pair, are active 2-way concentric designs (built in power amps, one per driver; tweeter in the middle of the woofer cone), includes a DAC, and can reach lower while filling a room with sound for about the same size, well reviewed.

Adam A3X are $650/pair, also active 2-ways with ribbon tweeters, and can reach (F3) 60 Hz with tight bass, breathed treble, highly resolving, room filling sound, well reviewed by home and professional users.

PSB Alpha PS1 are $300/pair, powered 2-ways, much smaller and have a subwoofer output (used by Paul Barton - owner - on his desktop), well reviewed.

If you want to stay with a single driver design in a smaller/cheaper/classier design for desktop use check out Serene Pebble.  They are $400/pair passive (no amp) or $500/pair active with 3 inch driver and a subwoofer output, used for home and studio.

borism

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2014, 01:06 pm »
Just to add to other single driver recommendations, I would definitely consider Omega speakers.

seikosha

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2014, 12:29 pm »
Just to add to other single driver recommendations, I would definitely consider Omega speakers.

I will second this.  I own omegas and orcas and definitely prefer the omegas.  The orcas might have an edge in the high treble, but the omegas do everything else better.

FireGuy

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2014, 01:26 pm »
I will second this.  I own omegas and orcas and definitely prefer the omegas.  The orcas might have an edge in the high treble, but the omegas do everything else better.

+3  :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2014, 01:44 pm »
If I were to toy with this type of speaker, I would plunge just around $150 and get myself a pair of Fostex Kanspeaker kits from Madisound.  It surely beats paying 4X as much for a design that is inherently similar. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120171.0

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2014, 04:43 pm »
If I were to toy with this type of speaker, I would plunge just around $150 and get myself a pair of Fostex Kanspeaker kits from Madisound.  It surely beats paying 4X as much for a design that is inherently similar. 

Wow, well remenbered.  :thumb:

seikosha

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2014, 04:55 pm »

I've also got the Kanspeas with the 105wk drivers.  Seems I've been collecting single driver speakers lately.  Anyway, the Kanspeas are great way to get a taste of the single driver sound.  The Orca's are however a definite step up from the little Kanspeas.  For the price, those kanspea kits are a bargain in the right setup.