Omega speakers and classical music

Vlad

Omega speakers and classical music
« on: 9 Dec 2014, 11:33 pm »
Hi,

I am considering Omega Alnico XRS for (mostly) classical music - does anybody here
use their Omega speakers for such music? My room is small - 12' x 14', so I wouldn't listen
very loud, but musicality, emotional involvement and tonality are important for me.
I don't care much for high resolution or proper imaging.

Thanks,
Vlad

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Omega speakers and classical music
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2014, 01:32 am »
Hi Vlad,

I am running the Super Alnico Monitors and they do very well with complex music, including classical.  Elgars Pomp and Circumstance Marches are complex and dynamic and the Alnicos play them with ease.

ZLS

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2014, 04:49 am »
Hi,

I am considering Omega Alnico XRS for (mostly) classical music - does anybody here
use their Omega speakers for such music? My room is small - 12' x 14', so I wouldn't listen
very loud, but musicality, emotional involvement and tonality are important for me.
I don't care much for high resolution or proper imaging.

Thanks,
Vlad

Musicality; Check

Emotional involvement; Double Check

Tonality; Alnico Magic Triple Check

Capt. Yossarian

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2014, 06:17 am »
Vlad — just over a year ago, I purchased Omega Super 3S speakers with an 8 WPC tubed amp (Dared 2A3C). I play MOSTLY classical music, plus a fair amount of jazz, classic rock and 'world music.' My listening room is 13' x 18' x 8' — and I play at volume levels from very quiet to quite loud.

These speakers are magical on classical music — they do very well on orchestral music (symphonies, etc.), chamber music and chorale music/opera. I totally enjoy listening to all of these types of music — the system plays them all so very beautifully. On good recordings, sound stage and spacial information is very present, as is detail an clarity. Female vocals are amazing. I've never gotten any breakup of the sound, even when things are complex — the music just 'appears' from these speakers — seemingly effortlessly.

The price of the Super 3S is a notch more affordable than the Alnico XRS — which was an important factor for me — but I've never looked back or regretted my choice.

By the way, my source is all CDs — no more vinyl at this moment (though that could change — hopefully).

Vlad

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2014, 05:04 pm »
Thanks guys - I appreciate your opinions. Now I am torn between Super 3 and Alnico ;)
I guess it all comes down to money...

On slightly different topic - what is the difference between the current 6" Alnico Hempcone
and ALN6LB Omegacone (it is now selling on AGON)? I emailed Louis, but didn't get any reply.

Vlad

Jazzaudio

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2014, 10:16 pm »
Vlad,

I'll just make you more torn.  I listen primarily to-you guessed it-jazz with Omega Super 3S speakers.  I hear powerful dynamics and enveloping you-are-there sound staging with big bands (Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Count Basie).  However, many jazz musicians/groups from the 40's-70's recorded with full orchestras (Antonio Jobim, Oscar Peterson), or played classical renditions or classically-inspired music (Modern Jazz Quartet, of which I have just about every album and CD!)  Then there's the Duke Ellington Orchestra that has both big band and classical elements, depending on the album/CD!   All is utterly beautiful with the 3S.  I switched from a tube hybrid integrated amp to a seemingly non-audiophile Class D unit (Crown XLS-1500) and hear startling and effortless dynamics (that macro and micro thing!) and natural and realistic tone with just about any instrument from the string, brass, woodwind, or percussion groups.  Best sound I've heard in my home.  I've never heard the Alnico drivers, but if their strength is more of what the RS5 driver does it has to be a sonic killer! You cant go wrong with either selection!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2014, 12:14 am »
On slightly different topic - what is the difference between the current 6" Alnico Hempcone
and ALN6LB Omegacone (it is now selling on AGON)? I emailed Louis, but didn't get any reply.

Vlad
The ALN6LB OmegaCone is the Alnico Hemp driver in the current Super Alnico Monitor and XRS.  It has been for years.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2014, 01:01 am »
Thanks guys - I appreciate your opinions. Now I am torn between Super 3 and Alnico ;)
I guess it all comes down to money...
Comparing the 3 series to the Alnico is like comparing a 2015 KTM 1190 RC8 R (Super 3_) to a  2015 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Deluxe (Super Alnico_).
They are two of the most beautiful motorcycles in current production, are both V-twins, would both thrill me to bits, but are completely different.
http://www.ktm.com/ca-en/supersport/1190-rc8-r-eu/highlights.html
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_CA/Motorcycles/cvo-softail-deluxe.html

The RS5 is lightning fast, nimble, and extremely transparent and detailed.  Capable of physics defying "hugeness" of presentation.
The Alnico sounds bigger, has deeper bottom end, deeper soundstage, digs deeper into a recording, and even though it isn't "rated" as high in the top end by 2000Hz as the RS5, yet it reveals more detail.  The Alnico also has a flatter frequency curve and richer/fuller tone.

mamba315

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2014, 01:59 am »
I'm not sure that motorcycle analogy makes me want the Alnico monitors, even though I am curious about them.  The flatter frequency response and bigger sound is appealing, but Harley's are relatively heavy and designed more for style first, then performance/other things.  Maybe the CVO's are a completely different beast?

How do the two compare when it comes to imaging and instrument separation?  Which disappears better?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2014, 04:37 am »
I'm not sure that motorcycle analogy makes me want the Alnico monitors, even though I am curious about them.  The flatter frequency response and bigger sound is appealing, but Harley's are relatively heavy and designed more for style first, then performance/other things.  Maybe the CVO's are a completely different beast?

How do the two compare when it comes to imaging and instrument separation?  Which disappears better?
In imaging and instrument separation both the Harley and the KTM are about equal, but the KTM disappears better because it's faster in the 1/4 mile than a stock Harley and will go just shy of 200mph.  BTW, some Harleys are VERY fast.  Don't know how things are now, but Harleys used to reign supreme on the drag strip. Oh! oops, wrong forum.  Well, I guess you know my other lust.  :lol:

Both speakers disappear completely, both have huge soundstage but the Alnico is deeper, both separate instruments extremely well, both are well focussed, both are lightning fast, but the RS5 is faster, yet the Alnico digs deeper into the music, retrieving information the RS5 misses, the Alnico is richer sounding and has greater tonal density.  The RS5 has more top end and is lighter on it's feet due to it's electrostatic speed.  Both are a joy to listen to.  In the end it boils down to taste and budget.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2014, 05:38 am by Canada Rob »