Tube-O-Lator is here!

Hantra

Tube-O-Lator is here!
« Reply #20 on: 27 Feb 2003, 09:30 pm »
when a vibration gets converted to electrical energy in an audio circuit, this causes noise in the ciruit.

Electrical energy is still vibration.  Sure, there s a conversion, but from one form of vibration to another.

Reducing this noise by dampening vibration creates an improvement in sound quality.

try comparing the effect of the dampening compound vs a DIO that has blu-tack covering the same chips

There is more than one way to skin this vibrating cat.  Damping the vibration is not the only way, and IMO, not the best way.  Folks talk about the Super Glue thing, and that is not damping.  That is actually changing the resonant characteristics of the IC.  Blu-Tak doesn't do anything to the chip except keep outside vibrations off it.  Albeit beneficial, I submit that there are more sonically important vibrations coming from the chip itself.  

Therefore, by draining this vibration, or changing the resonant characteristic of the chip, we can change the sound for the better.  Damping the chip will keep out vibrations, but it will also keep them in.  

I have no idea if that's how this stuff works, but it wouldn't surprise me if it also has some electrical properties in addition to its resonant ones.

BTW, will it work on capacitors, resistors, and the like?  I don't think I have any IC's in my integrated amp.

Thx!

B

Redbeard

Tube-O-Lator is here!
« Reply #21 on: 29 Mar 2003, 05:36 pm »
Another affect this goo will have on the IC is to raise the die temperature a few degrees.

The die runs significantly hotter than the ambient temperature, and relys on the thermal conductivity (tJ) of the package to disipate that heat.  Anything that affects the thermal conductivity in either a positive or negative way will directly affect the temperature of the die.  In this case, the ability of the surface of the package to dissipate heat into the surrounding air will be affected, probably in a negative way.

One could perform a simple experiment to see if the DAC is sensitive to heat by raising or lowering the ambient temperature within the enclosure and see if the sound is affected.

Just a thought...