"Honey, have you seen my keys?"

GT Audio Works

"Honey, have you seen my keys?"
« on: 5 Dec 2014, 02:14 pm »
Just a warning to all who have similar type key fobs.

On the left is what it should look like , on the right is what I pulled out of my pocket trying to go home last night !!
The switch blade type mechanism snaps into the fob base.
As I was walking across the parking lot to my job yesterday morning, I dropped my keys as I attempted to put them into my pocket.
I bent down to pick them up without noticing there was something wrong.
Well you can imagine my surprise as I reached into my pocket to open my car door last night trying to go home.
Its dark and its a big parking lot, no key to be found anywhere. To put the icing on the cake, my other key is inoperative.
Its that transponder encoded chip type key, and the chip failed a few months back and I never replaced it, I was pissed at the $150 plus charge to get a new one from the dealer.
Luckily my father in-law lives just down the road, he came over and let me borrow his car to get home last night.
He went back to the parking lot this morning and found my key!!
Believe me,  the minute I get that key back today, I will be putting a big strip of gorilla tape around the seam where the two pieces meet.
Oh....and yes I will have to bite the bullet and cough up the dough to replace that other inoperative key !
Greg

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: "Honey, have you seen my keys?"
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2014, 09:27 pm »
Is this how son-in-law stories get started?

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2014, 12:14 am »
My Father In Law would have made me walk and loved every minute of it!  :lol:

GT Audio Works

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2014, 12:56 am »
My Father In Law would have made me walk and loved every minute of it!  :lol:
I would hope not, its 40 miles home.
I would have taken a taxi and sent the bill to Mazda for selling such crap.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2014, 08:03 pm »
For my Saab, if you lost both keys, you had to replace the ECU (electronic control unit).  I lost one key and forked out the bucks to get another key, as the ECU was insanely expensive. 

GT Audio Works

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2014, 12:43 am »
For my Saab, if you lost both keys, you had to replace the ECU (electronic control unit).  I lost one key and forked out the bucks to get another key, as the ECU was insanely expensive.
I looked into installing a transponder bypass module, pretty cheap, about $50. It basically fools the ECU into thinking it has a legit signal from the key transponder. Of course it renders the car easier to steal. Then I thought if that thing went bad I would still be stuck. So like you, I went with a new key too.