C&C Streaming Box

lacro

C&C Streaming Box
« on: 2 Dec 2014, 03:48 pm »
Now that I have accumulated several Class D amps, I need to distribute them w/speakers throughout my house. What I am looking for is a portable stand alone WiFi streaming devise. I mostly listen to Pandora. It would have to have some type of display, would be nice if it digital outs so I could use a Dac, but that's probably unlikely. I don't want to have any other devise in the chain such as a computer. I want something PORTABLE that will connect with my WiFi router, and have outputs to connect to my amp/speakers, to stream audio. I don't want or need anything with a built in amp or speakers.

Any suggestions for something that works well?

I am thinking of something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8B1B54/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i10?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0YKNB6ZTNE0WPKPRK7JJ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: C&C Streaming Box
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2014, 04:00 am »
That - or a used Squeezebox touch - would probably be your best cheapest choices. 

Otherwise a Sonos Connect ($350 new - less used) if you have a smart phone or tablet to use as a controller.  For ease of use & reliability it's hard to beat a Sonos.  Only bad is that at least one Sonos unit needs to be connected via ethernet to the router.  If you can't do it w/ the Connect model for whatever reason, you'll have to buy another unit - though these are as little as $49 (Sonos Bridge).

Once you starting using a smart phone or tablet app you really don't want to go back to conventional screens, touch or otherwise......you'll not only have Pandora but the world of internet radio, spotify, and even the new Tidal CD quality service.  Sonos have digital outputs as well.

My advice : spend a bit more over the $100 & get a Sonos - even if you have to buy one used.  You'll be happy and so will your family. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2014, 01:27 pm »
Do you have an older ios device?

iPod Touch.  Pure dock.  iPeng with in app purchase for streaming.  Run Logitech Media Server on a PC somewhere.

iPod touch acts as both streaming device and control for it.  Pure doc exacts the digital signal for use with a dac, or apparently has analog outs too.

Total cost?  Likely under $100 if you have a Touch already.  Any 3rd gen and newer would do it, so likely another $40-60 if you need to buy one.

You could skip the dock and just use a 1/8th to RCA output from the iPod if convenience trumps fidelity for the setups you envision.

I use a 3rd generation iTouch this way into a portable bluetooth speaker for streaming my FLAC to the garage or deck.

MLS

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2014, 10:58 pm »
Sonos FYI.

Sonos work over WIFI now.  You do not need a ethernet connection.

You can also use a Airport Express if you are using iTunes.